Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:16:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone else experiencing very slow blockchain movement right now?  (Read 950 times)
battmann (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

I am a student of programming and design.

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:20:40 AM

I tried to send some bitcoins over an hour and a half ago and they are still unconfirmed. Is anyone else having any problems in their latest transactions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:29:17 AM

I tried to send some bitcoins over an hour and a half ago and they are still unconfirmed. Is anyone else having any problems in their latest transactions?

About once every other day on average it will take an hour between block confirmations.   So a half hour happens daily at least, if not multiple times per day.

But even though blocks are being solved doesn't mean your transaction will get included in the next block.

A fee might need to be paid for the transaction to be included.   Or if there are many transactions those with higher fees will be included and those with a lower fee will need to wait a little longer.    If your transaction is spammy (low amount, no fee) it may take a day or longer for the transaction to get included in a block.

Also, most services require six confirmations, so even if your transaction is included in a block right away, it won't get credited until there are six confirmations -- which, on average, is an hour after the first confirmation occurs.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

battmann (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:38:17 AM

About once every other day on average it will take an hour between block confirmations.   So a half hour happens daily at least, if not multiple times per day.

But even though blocks are being solved doesn't mean your transaction will get included in the next block.

A fee might need to be paid for the transaction to be included.   Or if there are many transactions those with higher fees will be included and those with a lower fee will need to wait a little longer.    If your transaction is spammy (low amount, no fee) it may take a day or longer for the transaction to get included in a block.

Also, most services require six confirmations, so even if your transaction is included in a block right away, it won't get credited until there are six confirmations -- which, on average, is an hour after the first confirmation occurs.

Right, I know most of that. What I am saying is that I have been doing transactions all day; then all of a sudden about an hour ago my transactions just stopped dead. They all had miner's fees attached to them, and they are all still unconfirmed. I wasn't really looking for an explanation of how the blockchain works. More so I am asking this community of they are experiencing the same thing I am; as it seems to be a problem with the network itself and not just my transactions alone. I wanted to see if anyone else could confirm this.

So has anyone been recently experiencing unconfirmed transactions in the past two hours?
Anormalname

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:55:42 AM

So has anyone been recently experiencing unconfirmed transactions in the past two hours?

You're not alone, Its been very very slow on my part too.
battmann (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 03:04:40 AM

You're not alone, Its been very very slow on my part too.

I put in a support ticket. Something is goin on with the nodes; my transactions start out with over %100 in the node are then drop to %0 and then to about 6 or 7 in use...very strange
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 03:09:34 AM

Check here:
http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/txlist/

BTW, if you are going to get upset about a simple explanation you might want to ask somewhere else besides the newbie jail.  When responding here many people assume you have no idea how the basics work.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
battmann (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 03:17:30 AM

Check here:
http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/txlist/

BTW, if you are going to get upset about a simple explanation you might want to ask somewhere else besides the newbie jail.  When responding here many people assume you have no idea how the basics work.

Oh I'm not upset, just needed to clarify, albeit bluntly, that my question was exactly what I wanted answered. I do get what you mean though. Ill checkout your link now...
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 03:38:10 AM

my question was exactly what I wanted answered.

So then you need to determine, are blocks confirming slowly or is it that your transactions are just not confirming promptly.   Looking at the timestamps, blocks are coming along recently at above the average rate (shorter than 10 minutes) likely thanks to higher mining capacity, so that's not your problem.

If your transactions are not confirming, even with a fee, then it is simply the miners not including your transaction.

There are reasons this occurs.  If you are trying to re-spend funds that you just recently received (i.e., in the past day), then that subtracts from the chances it will get processed promptly.    The prescribed approach is to pay a higher fee if your transactions aren't confirming promptly.  [Edit: But even that isn't a guarantee to get your transaction included promptly.]

Also, if you are using a client that will spend unconfirmed funds, that's also going to work against you if confirmation needs to occur promptly.  Blockchain.info/wallet is one such client.    Bitcoin-Qt won't send a payment unless the funds needed already have at least one confirmation.

[Edit: Looking at your post history, I'm suspecting you are sending transactions with spend amounts (outputs) that are under 0.01 BTC, and/or your transaction size is above 10KB. If either is true, the miners, when determining which transactions to include for the scarce resource limits for each block, will bump your transaction to "the back of the line".]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █