Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:14:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do not use USB sticks for long term storage! Its not safe!  (Read 5093 times)
Akupuniard

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2016, 04:47:09 PM

I known fact that USB devices starting losing data after long term storage, but i think in fututre people will make device that will hold data for years.

fenican

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 05:51:34 PM

Flash ROM will eventually lose its data at room temperature but it will take an exceedingly long period of time for a new drive.

For a very heavily used drive or one that is stored at very high temperature, the data loss is a real issue but for a new drive that is rated for 1000 hours at 120 degrees C I suspect the other components will degrade before the ROM stops retaining its data.
sbtctalk

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 06:04:41 PM

Time to burn our cold wallet keys or dat files into a dvd rom and chuck it in a dry box?

13Sk3gsQ1ogrzmyt3xMVvByxcUvZr98kKN
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2016, 06:05:09 PM

I was considering a trezor, but I don't see how trezor like devices aren't going to suffer from the same thing as any solid state storage, so I think I will keep saving my stuff on different usb and on different hard drives too and do period backups. It's simply impossible that they all break at the same time and I end up with no bitcoins. Additionally, upping it somewhere with a strong password and changing the file extension seems like a good idea, but im not sure if changing the file extension cam damage a wallet file.

You should read the Trezor user manual to appreciate exactly how a Trezor works. The 24 word seed that is generated when you initialize your Trezor is the source for all your private and public keys and bitcoin addresses. As long as your seed is stored safely the longevity of the Trezor device is irrelevant. Lose it stompt it to pieces if you like. Then just recover your seed to a new Trezor and back to normal. Most folks who use Trezor keep a spare around for just that. I have Trezors that are two years old and still work fine by the way, but I certainly do not expect them to last indefinitely. The seed in effect is your bitcoin and as long as you have your seed your bitcoin are completely safe.

You can use the same Trezor for both bitcoin and litecoin and Ether support is expected as soon as Mist developers get around to integrating the Trezor API. There are other hardware wallets but I consider Trezor the most versatile.

calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 07:28:05 PM

Just a reminder

Its not safe to use USB sticks or SSDs for long term storage they lose data over time if they are not powered!

You can't just stick your private keys on a few USB sticks or SSD and box them up for 4 - 8 years you will lose all your coins.

For long term storage have at least 3 backups paper wallets or HDDs. You can even use something like DropBox But be sure to encrypt your wallet and change the name.

You can even hide your wallet inside a image file.

Great post, thanks for that never thought of that, although i do have most of my private keys on paper also.... how can i learn about hiding my wallet inside an image?
Quantus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 23, 2017, 06:04:21 PM

Bump. (。◕‿◕。)

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
nillohit

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

***crypto trader***

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 09:11:01 PM

easy way --
1. Encrypt your wallet with a very strong password
2. Save it in several cloud storage
3. And for extra security save them on several HDD

that's all Grin

П    |⧛ ☛  Join the signature campaign and earn free PI daily!  ✅ |⧛    П
|⧛         ☛  PiCoin - get in now  ✅     ☛ No ICO!  ✅          |⧛
aioc

Activity: 2954
Merit: 567

View Profile
February 24, 2017, 10:08:06 PM

Just a reminder

Its not safe to use USB sticks or SSDs for long term storage they lose data over time if they are not powered!

You can't just stick your private keys on a few USB sticks or SSD and box them up for 4 - 8 years you will lose all your coins.

For long term storage have at least 3 backups paper wallets or HDDs. You can even use something like DropBox But be sure to encrypt your wallet and change the name.

You can even hide your wallet inside a image file.

I agree that usb stick is not recommended if you are going to store your bitcoin,there are specific hardware storage for bitcoin anyway there are already a lot of safe and installable applications like electrum to store your bitcoin but of course,don't put all your eggs in one basket,we never know what could happen..

JasonXG

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2017, 08:39:48 PM

Yes it's true. I knew someone and told them to keep proper back ups but he wouldn't listen and walked around using his USB stock from work to home. I kept saying you can lose it etc etc but no he knows best. Well anyway. One day he went to his pc and put the USB stick in and guess what ? It said it needed to be format because it was corrupt.

Always back up !!! Click save and save again when you work. With your bitcoin keep not one not two but as many backs ups as you can. Always back up !!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: