Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:44:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you invest $1 million into Bitcoin?  (Read 781 times)
dashteeb (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 05:33:19 AM

This is a hypothetical question to get a better idea of what Bitcoin startups, products, services, etc. would best grow the Bitcoin community.

How would you invest $1 million into Bitcoin?

Build an exchange to compete with MtGox?
Build and distribute Bitcoin ATMs nationwide/worldwide?
Start an online store that offers enticing discounts for orders transacted in BTC taking a temporary loss with the expectation of BTC value going up?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
buybtc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 05:38:47 AM

This is a hypothetical question to get a better idea of what Bitcoin startups, products, services, etc. would best grow the Bitcoin community.

Build an exchange to compete with MtGox?
Build and distribute Bitcoin ATMs nationwide/worldwide?
Start an online store that offers enticing discounts for orders transacted in BTC taking a temporary loss with the expectation of BTC value going up?

Bitcoin Startups.
velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 05:42:33 AM

I would work on getting better and easier access to bitcoins for the masses, specifically, figuring out a safe and practical Credit Card to Bitcoin route.

We all know the major obstacles to this issues, but the fact remains that it is the easiest and simplest way for non-bitcoin people to conduct business on the web.  If we were able to incorporate that into a bitcoin system where all parties are relatively protected, it would do wonders for getting the average Joe buying, and ultimately using, bitcoins.

So, really, that means using $1M to hire some lawyers...  Grin

buybtc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 05:45:15 AM

I would work on getting better and easier access to bitcoins for the masses, specifically, figuring out a safe and practical Credit Card to Bitcoin route.
Funny, you should mentioned this. I have a way to make this happen hence my name but its for people who already have Bitcoin.  I'm working on it as we speak. Would like some feedback but would like to take the convo to PM or offline.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 05:59:03 AM

I would slowly buy bitcoins cause if you do that, then your capital will rise over time.
hyphenx

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 06:19:39 AM

cost of purchasing an atm is around $60k which equates to about 16 atm's. In business, 1 million is really not that much
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:21:33 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2013, 09:02:27 PM by Stephen Gornick

Remittances to many of the countries in Africa have the highest transfer costs at nearly 20%, versus 6% for remittances to Asia.

But the recipient of the remittances don't have local exchange agents who will cash out the coins to a local currency.

$1 million might be enough to start onboarding individuals to serve as bitcoin exchangers.  Essentially this is simply recruiting, educating and to some degree providing a subsidy (e.g., base compensation) to individuals to provide a service similar to LocalBitcoins.com's network, and then promoting this method as an alternative to traditional money transfer remittance services (e.g., Western Union, Moneygram, etc.).  Eventually there will be enough transaction volume where the subsidy is no longer needed and the exchange agents are earning sufficient margins to no longer require the subsidy.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ishare

Activity: 15

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 07:18:07 AM

buy 1 million dollars worth of mining hardware lol 
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 07:22:35 AM

I'd fund a decentralised stock exchange that would be even more difficult to take down than piratebay Cheesy
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 07:47:21 AM

I'd create a Bitcoin wallet device capable of storing keys and signing transactions. When you want to make a transaction, you'd plug it into a computer (yours or a merchant's) and it'd communicate with software running on the computer to figure out the transaction details and then ask for your approval. This can be done safely without the device knowing anything about the block chain. It'd make in-person transactions and cold storage of BTC very easy.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 07:52:52 AM

I would ask avalon to sell me their process and I would start a mining farm with a low nm process.
Anyway, there is no need to invest that huge amount into bitcoin to speculate, the only reason should be to stronger the economy. However the creation of new bitcoin services will stronger the bitcoin economy and maybe make you lose money.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
World

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:27:43 PM

Remittances to many of the countries in Africa have the highest transfer costs at nearly 20%, versus 6% for remittances to Asia.

But the recipient of the remittances don't have local exchange agents who will cash out the coins to a local currency.

$1 million might be enough to start onboarding individuals to serve as bitcoin exchangers.  Essentially this is simply recruiting, educating and to some degree providing a subsidy (e.g., base compensation) to individuals to provide a service similar to LocalBitcoins.com's network, and then promoting this method as an alternative to traditional money transfer remittance services (e.g., Western Union, Moneygram, etc.).  Eventually there will be enough transaction volume where the subsidy is no longer needed, the exchange agents are earning sufficient margins to no longer require the subsidy.

definitely very useful investment ^

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: