Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:43:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to destroy bitcoins? Send them to the value 0 address?  (Read 3729 times)
Crazygreek

Activity: 378
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 10:01:13 PM

Why people interested on it? It's same as ignite a 100$ and than create topic about - "best way to destroy dollars". Bitcoin is so hard to earn,really.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 11, 2016, 10:09:09 PM

Why would anyone want to burn Bitcoins?

This is a theoretical discussion of potential possibilities of permanent destruction of BTC.

I guess no one sane would never burn their own coins that way. I guess the only valid reason someone would want to do that is burn coins of someone as a form of attack.
If you cannot steal it - destroy it, or something like that.
Bulista (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 23

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 10:10:46 AM

I was going to answer this question but noticed it was already answered up thread.

If you are hell bent on destroying Bitcoins do this:

No.

If you want to destroy coins permanently, you should not sent them to 16QaFeudRUt8NYy2yzjm3BMvG4xBbAsBFM.

While I believe that bitcoins sent to that address would be "unspendable", they would continue to take up space in the UTXO set forever.

It would be MUCH better to send them to an OP_RETURN output.

OP_RETURN outputs can be removed from the UTXO set, and therefore do not put a permanent unnecessary burden on full nodes.

So, no, don't send them to 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE or 1ThrowYourBitcoinsHere1741jy71wis or 1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa or any other "Bitcoin eater" address. 

But how do I do it? How do I get the OP_RETURN?
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 529

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 10:13:57 AM

If you want to burn bitcoin , you can send them to online ventures which accepts bitcoin and can pay you in other means , other payments processors. I can tell them a few of them, and of course in return send me some btc to my profile btc addy  Tongue . Now joking apart, don't burn bitcoins, get some money from them, thats what is we love for bitcoin, it can be converted to real money and change someones life.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 11:41:24 AM

if you think about it, holding no matter what until bitcoin reach, let's say...1M it's equal to destroying them

i see no reason to destroy them just hold indefinitely
Bulista (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 12:45:12 PM

OP, If I may ask... Are you planning to burn some coins or are you merely asking because you want to gather more knowledge on the subject. Why would you worry... if the private key could be

brute forced in future? The chance of that happening is VERY slim and next to impossible. I hope you not planning to burn coins, because you got fed up with the technology. I would much rather

donate those coins to a good cause that might change other people's life forever... but that's just me.  Roll Eyes

OP already stated that he doesn't want to donate anything, he is the owner so he decides what to do with his money.
As user Danny said, the best way is to send it to the OP_Return

How do I do it?
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 12:53:58 PM

If these coins are actually spendable, this question is pointless except for proof of concept. The question should be not how to burn coins, but why would one do so? When so many people have so little, why would one ever dream of "deleting" what could possibly feed or clothe someone in need?

This would be akin to burning ones house down as a proof of concept.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2016, 12:58:24 PM

An OP_RETURN is simply another output for a Bitcoin TX (you can only have one per tx for a Standard tx).

Typically such an output has a zero value (as it is normally used to append some "data" to a tx) but there is no reason you can't give it a value (which would permanently "burn" that value).

Not sure if the raw tx commands enable you to do this easily or not though (but if the OP really wants to be able to do this then you could fairly simply modify my own raw tx stuff to do this).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
cryptoheadd

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 01:00:37 PM

Anyone who wants to burn their Bitcoins, can send them to: 1JainHFBinv3cCELLJW7scdxucu3hU9mgk

They'll never see it again.  Grin
Bulista (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 01:35:05 PM

An OP_RETURN is simply another output for a Bitcoin TX (you can only have one per tx for a Standard tx).

Typically such an output has a zero value (as it is normally used to append some "data" to a tx) but there is no reason you can't give it a value (which would permanently "burn" that value).

Not sure if the raw tx commands enable you to do this easily or not though (but if the OP really wants to be able to do this then you could fairly simply modify my own raw tx stuff to do this).

But how do I do it? To send it to the value 0 addres is as simple as sending the coins to this address 16QaFeudRUt8NYy2yzjm3BMvG4xBbAsBFM but to send to the OP_RETURN what steps do I need to do exactly?
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2016, 01:45:01 PM

But how do I do it? To send it to the value 0 addres is as simple as sending the coins to this address 16QaFeudRUt8NYy2yzjm3BMvG4xBbAsBFM but to send to the OP_RETURN what steps do I need to do exactly?

This is most likely not what you are wanting as a reply but using my code here: https://github.com/ciyam/ciyam/blob/master/src/crypto_keys.cpp#L808 you can see there is a "p_message" argument that is used to add an OP_RETURN output (with a zero amount) to a raw tx.

The code that actually adds the OP_RETURN to the tx is here: https://github.com/ciyam/ciyam/blob/master/src/crypto_keys.cpp#L945 and you'd need to change the "c_zero_amount" (so it would require coding changes to "burn" BTC as I didn't design my code to do that).

I have no idea whether the Bitcoin RPC makes this any easier to do so perhaps Danny can chime in if he has a simpler method (my guess is that no-one has probably made such a thing as it is not something that 99.999% of Bitcoin users would want to do).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2016, 01:47:31 PM

There is no 'value zero' address. A secret key of zero results in a public key which cannot be represented at all.

The only way to destroy bitcoins in an absolutely sure manner is the OP_RETURN advice given.   Bitcoin Core provides no facility for this, because destroying coin is something most users would only ever do by mistake.  I'm sure that for a small percentage of that 65000 btc someone will happily implement it for you.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 03:31:41 PM

- snip -
perhaps Danny can chime in if he has a simpler method (my guess is that no-one has probably made such a thing as it is not something that 99.999% of Bitcoin users would want to do).

I've put together a very detailed 21 step process.  This assumes that you're starting without the Bitcoin Core wallet. It should be possible for anyone with high school level knowledge of maths and computers (converting between hexadecimal and decimal) to follow the steps.

For those that don't need so much detail, here's the
TL;DR:
Code:
0100000001TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTXXXXXXXX00ffffffff01ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ036a010000000000
  • Step 1: Replace the "T" values with a little-endian hex representation of the txid from the transaction output you wish to destroy
  • Step 2: Replace the "X" values with a little-endian hex representation of the vout from the transaction output you wish to destroy
  • Step 3: Replace the "Z" values with a little-endian hex representation of the amount of satoshis you wish to destroy (remember to subtract the transaction fee)
  • Step 4: Use signrawtransaction in Bitcoin Core with the result
  • Step 5: Use sendrawtransaction in Bitcoin Core with the result of signrawtransaction

Now for the detailed process:

• Step 1:  Install Bitcoin Core version 12.1
  • Step 2: Wait for blockchain synchronization to complete
  • Step 3: Send the bitcoins to an address generated with the "Request Payment" button in the "Receive" tab of Bitcoin Core
  • Step 4: Click the "Help" menu in Bitcoin Core.
  • Step 5: Choose the "Debug Window" in the Help menu of Bitcoin Core
  • Step 6: Choose the "Console" tab in the Debug Window of Bitcoin Core
  • Step 7: Run the command "listunspent" in the Console of the Bitcoin Core Debug Window
  • Step 8: Take note of the values next to "txid", "vout", and "amount" for the output that you wish to destroy
  • Step 9: Convert the amount from BTC to Satoshis (i.e. multiply the "amount" by 100000000)
  • Step 10: Subtract your intended transaction fee from the "amount" (I recommend 20000)
  • Step 11: Convert the result to hexadecimal
  • Step 12: Convert the hexadecimal value to little-endian byte order (example: if the amount was 05F5E100, then you would convert it to 00E1F505)
  • Step 13: If you have less than 16 hexadecimal digits, then add enough zeros to the end of the number to have a total of 16 digits (example: 00E1F505 would become 00E1F50500000000)
  • Step 14: Convert the txid to little-endian byte order (example: if the txid was 1234567890abcdef, then you would convert it to efcdab9078563412)
  • Step 15: If you have less than 64 hexadecimal digits, then add enough zeros to the end of the number to have a total of 64 digits
  • Step 16: Convert the vout to hexadecimal
  • Step 17: If the resulting hexadecimal value is more than 2 digits, then convert the hexadecimal value to little-endian byte order (This step is unlikely)
  • Step 18: If you have less than 8 hexadecimal digits, then add enough zeros to the end of the number to have a total of 8 digits
  • Step 19: Modify the following raw transaction as indicated:
Code:
0100000001TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTXXXXXXXX00ffffffff01ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ036a010000000000
Replace:
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT with the zero padded little-endian txid
XXXXXXXX with the zero padded little-endian vout
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ with the zero padded little-endian amount of satoshis you want to destroy
  • Step 20: Run the command "signrawtransaction RawHexTransaction" (replacing the words RawHexTransaction) with the transaction you built in step 19
  • Step 21: Take note of the output from the signrawtransaction command
  • Step 22: Run the command "sendrawtransaction RawSignedHexTransaction" (replacing the words RawSignedHexTransaction with the output in step 21

If you really want a tool to do this easily (you type in an address that has some unspent outputs, and ALL of the outputs are destroyed with a transaction fee of 0.0002 BTC per KB) let me know.  I might put something together just for the practice.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2016, 11:26:16 PM

I still dont believe there is someone willing to destroy bitcoins with children facing several problems are you fucking humans?Really are you with something called brain ?I hate this kind of question really and those who wanna to destroy bitcoins instead donate them has no heart .This thread is the same as ask how to suicide, return to the real world.
Bulista (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 07:48:31 AM

I still dont believe there is someone willing to destroy bitcoins with children facing several problems are you fucking humans?Really are you with something called brain ?I hate this kind of question really and those who wanna to destroy bitcoins instead donate them has no heart .This thread is the same as ask how to suicide, return to the real world.

You did your job to promote your signature, well done. Now stfu and gtfo.
Bulista (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 07:50:09 AM

- snip -
perhaps Danny can chime in if he has a simpler method (my guess is that no-one has probably made such a thing as it is not something that 99.999% of Bitcoin users would want to do).

I've put together a very detailed 21 step process.  This assumes that you're starting without the Bitcoin Core wallet. It should be possible for anyone with high school level knowledge of maths and computers (converting between hexadecimal and decimal) to follow the steps.

For those that don't need so much detail, here's the
TL;DR:
Code:
  • Step 1: Replace the "T" values with a little-endian hex representation of the txid from the transaction output you wish to destroy
  • Step 2: Replace the "X" values with a little-endian hex representation of the vout from the transaction output you wish to destroy
  • Step 3: Replace the "Z" values with a little-endian hex representation of the amount of satoshis you wish to destroy (remember to subtract the transaction fee)
  • Step 4: Use signrawtransaction in Bitcoin Core with the result
  • Step 5: Use sendrawtransaction in Bitcoin Core with the result of signrawtransaction

Now for the detailed process:

• Step 1:  Install Bitcoin Core version 12.1
  • Step 2: Wait for blockchain synchronization to complete
  • Step 3: Send the bitcoins to an address generated with the "Request Payment" button in the "Receive" tab of Bitcoin Core
  • Step 4: Click the "Help" menu in Bitcoin Core.
  • Step 5: Choose the "Debug Window" in the Help menu of Bitcoin Core
  • Step 6: Choose the "Console" tab in the Debug Window of Bitcoin Core
  • Step 7: Run the command "listunspent" in the Console of the Bitcoin Core Debug Window
  • Step 8: Take note of the values next to "txid", "vout", and "amount" for the output that you wish to destroy
  • Step 9: Convert the amount from BTC to Satoshis (i.e. multiply the "amount" by 100000000)
  • Step 10: Subtract your intended transaction fee from the "amount" (I recommend 20000)
  • Step 11: Convert the result to hexadecimal
  • Step 12: Convert the hexadecimal value to little-endian byte order (example: if the amount was 05F5E100, then you would convert it to 00E1F505)
  • Step 13: If you have less than 16 hexadecimal digits, then add enough zeros to the end of the number to have a total of 16 digits (example: 00E1F505 would become 00E1F50500000000)
  • Step 14: Convert the txid to little-endian byte order (example: if the txid was 1234567890abcdef, then you would convert it to efcdab9078563412)
  • Step 15: If you have less than 64 hexadecimal digits, then add enough zeros to the end of the number to have a total of 64 digits
  • Step 16: Convert the vout to hexadecimal
  • Step 17: If the resulting hexadecimal value is more than 2 digits, then convert the hexadecimal value to little-endian byte order (This step is unlikely)
  • Step 18: If you have less than 8 hexadecimal digits, then add enough zeros to the end of the number to have a total of 8 digits
  • Step 19: Modify the following raw transaction as indicated:
Code:
Replace:
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT with the zero padded little-endian txid
XXXXXXXX with the zero padded little-endian vout
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ with the zero padded little-endian amount of satoshis you want to destroy
  • Step 20: Run the command "signrawtransaction RawHexTransaction" (replacing the words RawHexTransaction) with the transaction you built in step 19
  • Step 21: Take note of the output from the signrawtransaction command
  • Step 22: Run the command "sendrawtransaction RawSignedHexTransaction" (replacing the words RawSignedHexTransaction with the output in step 21

If you really want a tool to do this easily (you type in an address that has some unspent outputs, and ALL of the outputs are destroyed with a transaction fee of 0.0002 BTC per KB) let me know.  I might put something together just for the practice.

Wow this is more complex than what I was expecting Smiley will have a closure look at this later, thanks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 11:43:25 AM

Wow this is more complex than what I was expecting Smiley will have a closure look at this later, thanks

Like gmaxwell said, permanently losing access to bitcoins is something that users typically only do by mistake.  There really isn't a demand for tools that make it easier to lose money. It wouldn't be very difficult to create such a tool, it just isn't something anyone has wanted to do before.
27QVUTZj8rgZP1

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 07:50:36 PM

There really isn't a demand for tools that make it easier to lose money. It wouldn't be very difficult to create such a tool, it just isn't something anyone has wanted to do before.
Then, please change the title to: "Best and easiest way to destroy bitcoins? Send them to the value 0 address?"

Conclusion: Just send them to one of the addresses below:
1ThrowYourBitcoinsHere1741jy71wis

1BitcoinNaCadeiaLLGEkw1ahccrF5V4q4

1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE

1111111111111111111114oLvT2

1LetUsDestroyBitcoinTogether398Nrg

It would be MUCH better to send them to an OP_RETURN output.

OP_RETURN outputs can be removed from the UTXO set, and therefore do not put a permanent unnecessary burden on full nodes.
If you developer people really cared about this, then they would make a tool to make that process easier.

From a Bitcoin destroyer's point of view this is just one more reason to send to a "valid address" instead.

Bitcoin address: 1RepentJESUSisComingSoon777kqd54C

And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. - Revelation 22:12
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2016, 11:08:40 PM

send to this address:

1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE

No one has the private keys
You would know that we all know this is you had taken the 10 seconds to read just the one post at the end of the thread right before your post.  Please read at least one post in a thread before dumping your steaming pile of signature spam on the thread.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
cbkhoo1492006

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2019, 07:15:31 PM

Anyone who wants to burn their Bitcoins, can send them to: 1GJJgmjh24LjUoxwMeNeX9c9BS71X4dN2n

Some 0.1 BTC or any value they pleased to dispose.  Hehe.

They'll never see it again.   Grin Grin Grin
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: