Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:58:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another idea for a pegged currency  (Read 452 times)
TheKing01 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 06:12:42 PM

I think ideas for pegged currencies have been proposed before, but here is one that I think is novel (tell me if it isn't).

First, choose what you want to peg. It can be gold, USDS (ugh), oil, hours of labor, global economies, stocks, land, bread, electricity, mining rigs, baskets of things, etc...
Let's say we are doing Bitcoins (ironically).

Now, there are two currencies: BitcoinCoins and TradeCoins, supported by the same block chain.

First, develop a decentralized consensus protocol. This means you need to be able to have your blockchain determine a number in the real world. One way I saw to do this is that everyone puts in their answer, and whoever is close to the median gets payed, those that aren't don't. The idea is that everyone will submit the right answer, because they don't want to risk not getting payed.

Now, start your blockchain, and have miners mine TradeCoins. There are no BitcoinCoins yet, and you don't need the consensus protocol yet.

Now, once the TradeCoins start gaining value (maybe they have faster transactions times than other cryptocurrencies, or smart contracts, or something) you start phase 2 (you can hardcode phase 2 to start at a specific time based on when you are pretty sure it will have value).

Use your Consensus protocol to determine the value of TradeCoins relative to Bitcoins (you will be doing this every block for now on). Let's say 10,000 TradeCoins = 1 Bitcoin. (Note that you don't actually need a TradeCoin to Bitcoin exchange to figure this out. You can take TradeCoin to USD to Bitcoin to determine the exchange rate (or through any other commodities)). Now, you can destroy TradeCoins to get BitcoinCoins, and vis-versa. This will make BitcoinCoins equal in value to Bitcoins (or whatever commodity you chose to peg to)!

If BitcoinCoins ever get less valuable than Bitcoins, people will destroy their X BitcoinCoins to create Y TradeCoins and trade them for X Bitcoins. People will even buy BitcoinCoins with this explicit purpose. This will continue until BitcoinCoins raise in value to the value of TradeCoins.

If BitcoinCoins ever get more valuable than Bitcoins, people will trade their X Bitcoins for Y TradeCoins and destory them to create X BitcoinCoins. This increased supply of BitcoinCoins will decrease their value (or Bitcoins will increase in value as people buy them to take advantage of this scheme), until they are equal in value.

In reality, BitcoinCoins will follow the value of Bitcoins.

You could even have multiple commodities. You could have GoldCoins, USDCoins, EuroCoins, BreadCoins, TradeCoinCoins (actually, that would be dumb), etc... All based off exchange rates with TradeCoins.

What do you guys think? Would this work?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Skjöld

Activity: 55

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 06:15:27 PM

In case of something other than Bitcoin, it can be a bit interesting, but why with Bitcoin, since it can be subdivised ?
TheKing01 (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 07:30:44 PM

I just though the word "BitcoinCoins" was funny. Again, this would work with any commodity (or number really. You could make numberOfCloudsCoin, but I don't know why you would want to). I doubt BitcoinCoins would be a thing, but I could definitely see GoldCoins being popular (if my proposal is sound).
danda

Activity: 201
Merit: 157

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2016, 09:01:37 PM

Providing "truth" to a blockchain (any blockchain) from real world events is the 64 billion dollar riddle.

The problem is that all such systems rely on trust.  Who is (a) generating and (b) providing the external data to the blockchain?  There is a strong (financial) incentive to cheat and fake the data somehow, possibly even at point of origin.  At that point your cryptographically provable blockchain becomes just as fallible as any human.  It can prove that the false information was fed to it at X date and time, but that's it.

This is THE major stumbling block for all the "amazing smart contract applications" people have been buzzing about.

I would suggest to focus on that problem alone, and if you solve it, make a company out of that.

maybe your algo or something like it is game theoretically "good enough" to work for most cases.

see also:  truthcoin.  hivemind.

idea: possibly your larger system could be built on top of hivemind, or at least its truth concensus protocol.

First, develop a decentralized consensus protocol. This means you need to be able to have your blockchain determine a number in the real world. One way I saw to do this is that everyone puts in their answer, and whoever is close to the median gets payed, those that aren't don't. The idea is that everyone will submit the right answer, because they don't want to risk not getting payed.

mybitprices.info - wallet auditing   |  hd-wallet-derive - derive keys locally |  hd-wallet-addrs - find used addrs
lightning-nodes - list of LN nodes  |  coinparams - params for 300+ alts  |  jsonrpc-cli - cli jsonrpc client
subaddress-derive-xmr - monero offline wallet tool
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:53:03 PM

trade coin ,go to altcoin sction,yet another shitcoin,pump and dump hype
so many of them on Yobit and cex

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: [1]
  Print