Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:48:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedia no longer accepts bitcoins [Correction: Bitcoin still an option]  (Read 5137 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2016, 09:13:24 PM

The fact that you find it easier to spend fiat implies that you have fiat that could be used to buy bitcoins. Fiat that is built to lose value. So you are basically saying that you would rather hold a currency that loses value so that you can spend it instead of holding a currency that gains in value because you don't want to spend it.

My average purchase price for bitcoins over the course of 2015 was $250. I was able to convert 100% of my paycheck to bitcoins because I have actually found a way to use bitcoins for about 80% of my spending. The rest I sell for the local currency.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
by.Szun

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:16:46 PM

Shame. In my city at least, there are some local vendors who have begun supporting BTC lately. So I guess we're just a hydra now?

It really is all about demand, as another poster mentioned. For them to maintain a large infrastructure to support BTC they need to be getting enough volume to justify it. I guess the volume isn't there anymore.
Blacula X

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:21:26 PM

The fact that you find it easier to spend fiat implies that you have fiat that could be used to buy bitcoins. Fiat that is built to lose value. So you are basically saying that you would rather hold a currency that loses value so that you can spend it instead of holding a currency that gains in value because you don't want to spend it.

No. he's saying that when he gets paid in fiat, like most people do, he doesn't rush over to a bitcoin vending machine and pay 14% over spot, or hook up with you on localbitcoin and get raped by whatever usurious premium localbitcoiners charge.
Instead, he spends it on shit he needs to buy before next paycheck, and if the USD gets devalued by a fraction of a percent during that month, so be it. This way, he saves some money and plenty of time.
So now you know.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2016, 09:28:51 PM

No. he's saying that when he gets paid in fiat, like most people do, he doesn't rush over to a bitcoin vending machine and pay 14% over spot, or hook up with you on localbitcoin and get raped by whatever usurious premium localbitcoiners charge.
Instead, he spends it on shit he needs to buy before next paycheck, and if the USD gets devalued by a fraction of a percent during that month, so be it. This way, he saves some money and plenty of time.
So now you know.

Ahh thanks for the clarification because that's what I was saying he should do.

Or just use bitwage. But I'll keep that secret to myself.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
cassieheart

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:36:58 PM

I didnt know that Expedia were accepting bitcoins  as payment there is any other company on the same market,hotels allowing to pay with bitcoin or were that the first and the only one accepting kindly let me know.
Blacula X

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:40:32 PM

So now you know.

Just went over to find out what Bitwage is. Tried to reach support, not online, redirected me to a faq. Which wasn't there. eventually found this: https://faq.bitwage.com/hc/en-us/articles/202898249-Contractors-and-Employees-with-Regular-Wages , but still don't see the terms, exchange rates, associated fees, or anything, actually, which would make me want to send my wages to ... what is that? Why does the website look like an abandoned blog?

So share your secret, Elwar, spread the good word. Educate me.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2016, 09:41:20 PM

I didnt know that Expedia were accepting bitcoins  as payment there is any other company on the same market,hotels allowing to pay with bitcoin or were that the first and the only one accepting kindly let me know.

http://www.cheapair.com accepts bitcoins for airfare and hotels.

vrbo.com also accepts bitcoins.

I used a service shipsandtripstravel.com to book a cruise this past year.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2016, 09:45:31 PM

So now you know.

Just went over to find out what Bitwage is. Tried to reach support, not online, redirected me to a faq. Which wasn't there. eventually found this: https://faq.bitwage.com/hc/en-us/articles/202898249-Contractors-and-Employees-with-Regular-Wages , but still don't see the terms, exchange rates, associated fees, or anything, actually, which would make me want to send my wages to ... what is that?

So share your secret, Elwar, spread the good word. Educate me.

BitWage allows you to direct deposit your pay to a bank account number they provide you. That money is automatically converted to bitcoins (to an address you provide them).

They say there is no fee but I have noticed that the exchange rate I get is about 1% above the current price.

Since most companies allow you to direct deposit your paycheck into multiple bank accounts at different percentages you can choose how much you want converted by creating multiple direct deposits. I went with 100%. I get paid in dollars and live in Europe so I have no need for dollars.

Blacula X

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:51:41 PM

^^
Where are they located (country/street address)? Thus far, all I can find is pictures of teenagers here https://www.bitwage.com/company#team
Where is the company registered? Do they have IRL offices? What business model can they possibly use and charge no fees?
This is so Bitcoin, so NeoBee, so Bitfunder...
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:54:41 PM

To me bitcoin is mostly digital gold, payment method is only 2nd option. So worry not, Bitcoin is still acceptable in far more important branches. (hotel industry also)
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:56:02 PM

http://www.cheapair.com accepts bitcoins for airfare and hotels.

vrbo.com also accepts bitcoins.

I used a service shipsandtripstravel.com to book a cruise this past year.
Now this I heard a while ago. So will they be going the same way now that expedia has done away with accepting our coins for services rendered?
interbtc

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:59:44 PM

There probably want enough interes for the bitcoin as payment option for them, so they shut it down, but that doesnt mean that they
wont reconsider and return it at some point in future. If a lot of people contact them, in hopes of bitcoin being re-enabled, theres a chance that
they might return it. Until then, you should try to find some alternatives that do.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:10:55 PM

Shame but I can't say I'm surprised. Not alot of noise was made about it. I wonder what the reasoning was behind dropping it. I can't imagine it costs them to keep the option open and there must've been a few people who gave them business.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:11:48 PM

It's funny to see that certain merchants are stopping with accepting Bitcoin possibly because of the lacking payments via Bitcoin. Here is the funny part : It doesn't cost them anything if that payment option isn't being used very often. They just have to pay a certain fee once some one is actually using the Bitcoin option. If no one is using it, it won't cost them even a single penny. By stopping accepting Bitcoin they miss out on potential revenue via Bitcoin. Very stupid.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:11:49 PM

Perhaps the option to use Bitcoin as a payment method wasn't very popular among Expedia customers and the management decided to drop support for Bitcoin because they saw no use for it other than bragging rights. I think if Expedia had not limited Bitcoin payments only to US customers the demand could have been higher as a lot of people in Europe and Asia use cryptos as well. It's a pity nevertheless.
jt byte

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:15:42 PM

It's funny to see that certain merchants are stopping with accepting Bitcoin possibly because of the lacking payments via Bitcoin. Here is the funny part : It doesn't cost them anything if that payment option isn't being used very often. They just have to pay a certain fee once some one is actually using the Bitcoin option. If no one is using it, it won't cost them even a single penny. By stopping accepting Bitcoin they miss out on potential revenue via Bitcoin. Very stupid.
I agree with you there.
I would think that bitcoin's acceptable would be in the opposite direction by now. Being more widely accepted instead of it shrinking. So is dell soon not going to accept bitcoin too  Angry
As New Egg has a while ago if I am not mistaken.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:17:59 PM

I read about one experience some guy had trying to cancel a reservation he had paid for in bitcoins. Expedia had no idea what he was on about. Bitcoin is kind of a customer service nightmare.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
X badapple X

Activity: 29

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:25:23 PM

Not too big of a deal, it seems that bitcoin has been used as a daily currency less and less with time, I do not mind it becoming a settlement or used for non urgent transactions.

Exactly. If Satoshi wanted Bitcoin to be a peer-to-peer electronic cash system, he would've said so in the white paper.
jt byte

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:31:34 PM

Not too big of a deal, it seems that bitcoin has been used as a daily currency less and less with time, I do not mind it becoming a settlement or used for non urgent transactions.
I do remember a place that buy and sells gold use to transact with bitcoin. But soon after they removed it. I don't know why all the sudden they jumped on the bandwagon but then when it dips they haul ass away from it faster than a man on fire.  Undecided
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 10:35:42 PM

I read about one experience some guy had trying to cancel a reservation he had paid for in bitcoins. Expedia had no idea what he was on about. Bitcoin is kind of a customer service nightmare.

Well that were a bad use of bitcoin as we all know that bitcoin hasnt a reverse option,in this case they Expedia should return the bitcoins to the wallet,but looked more a test then anything else.But as hotel they should be interested into bitcoin,as payment processor as its free and pure profit,anyway they will loose some costumers they could had with bitcoin ,but well that wont affect them too much as they have a good service.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: