Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:55:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 »
  Print  
Author Topic: - AURORACOIN -  (Read 136759 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dinobotta

Activity: 248
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 02:18:22 PM

The Finance Minister of Iceland is now suggesting that cash payments in retail will be banned in Iceland, and only electronic payments (debet/credit) will be allowed (http://www.ruv.is/frett/nu-forum-vid-i-strid-vid-skattsvikarana). He also wants to remove the two largest paper bills, the 5.000 ISK and 10.000 ISK all to prevent black market business.

"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone". Satoshi Nakamoto
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinobotta

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 10:26:55 AM

You would think the FM was really trying hard to get auroracoin adopted with his new strategy.

NO!

"Lost coins only make everyone else’s coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone". Satoshi Nakamoto
Hunterwolfie

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 26, 2017, 10:30:03 AM

You would think the FM was really trying hard to get auroracoin adopted with his new strategy.

what's your obsession with AUR coin?

Shouldn't you promote a coin that helps South Africa instead of constantly having a hard on for Iceland?

Mihawk

Activity: 1150
Merit: 347

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 05:10:43 AM

This project may perhaps be abandoned or dropped, but you have made history! A sudden pump in mid 2014, put them in the top 3 if I'm not mistaken, the origin of AuroraCoin is Nordic? What were the causes of this increase?
Oblivion

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 03:55:53 PM

I have posted some ideas a week and a half or so regarding the adoption in Iceland. Unfortunately there seems to be more interest in venting frustrations than anything else. I will simply try again hoping to get some feedback. If there are frustrations, then the best way to get rid of them is to grab the bull by the bollocks and make shit happen:

We're currently working on a merchant only version of the Android app, and some merchant friendly tweaks need to be made to that.  We've purchased tablets to provide to merchants as an AUR POS system, and we're testing that out and getting documentation ready for a push to get more merchants onboard.  A lot of the efforts right now are grass roots word of mouth by team members in Iceland.  The blockchain is functioning properly right now, and for the most part the price has been relatively stable, so technical developments are on the back burner in favor of code cleanup and maintenance.

Getting the word out to merchants should be one of the top priorities in my opinion. Being able to use it as a viable medium of exchange and having merchants passively promoting it is a great way to getting the word out to the population of Iceland.

As soon as the POS system is ready I would happily volunteer to fly over to Iceland and talk to the merchants personally. Being a bit rusty on speaking Icelandic though but heard that most people speak English.
I think a hands on approach would be the way to get the fastest results.

Also something that might be a great way to get the Icelandic population engaged is to load up a paper wallet with let's say 5K-10K AUR, cutting up the private key into 10 snippets and distributing them in Reykjavik.
That way it would be a quest to gather the snippets via puzzles and/or hints. The first to correctly solve the puzzles/hints along the way gets the prize.

I am sure the reward would be substantial enough to get media mentions via radio, news websites and newspapers. Also it would engage the population as the reward would be substantial.
Also would be happy to donate to it and contribute to a challenging enough quest.

In my opinion, Auroracoin has a great future ahead, but must be adopted as soon and as widely in Iceland as possible.

Keep up the good work!
johndec2

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 03:39:47 AM

Who owns this wallet? It has almost a million coins in it.

https://bitinfocharts.com/auroracoin/wallet/8069

Who cares?  What business is it of yours? 
Oblivion

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 01:22:22 PM

Sigh.

So when will the POS (point of sale) system be completed roughly?
ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 05:47:55 PM

Sigh.

Iceland's customs office denied the original shipment of tablets that we had ordered.  One of the team members(MikkiRefur here) got another order sorted, and he is working on setting it up now.  He took over the final changes that he wanted to implement to the merchant wallet code, so he would need to give an ETA.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
BioMike
Legendary

Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 09:28:05 AM

Sigh.

Iceland's customs office denied the original shipment of tablets that we had ordered.  One of the team members(MikkiRefur here) got another order sorted, and he is working on setting it up now.  He took over the final changes that he wanted to implement to the merchant wallet code, so he would need to give an ETA.

-Fuse

Great news but how can customs deny a shipment?

The tablets apparently weren't approved for Icelandic regulations for electronic communication devices. We have a backup plan (which we used to get Joylato connected) which we will pursue now, but that plan is a bit more expensive.
dinobotta

View Profile
June 29, 2017, 02:26:08 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2017, 02:38:27 PM by dinobotta

I have posted some ideas a week and a half or so regarding the adoption in Iceland. Unfortunately there seems to be more interest in venting frustrations than anything else. I will simply try again hoping to get some feedback. If there are frustrations, then the best way to get rid of them is to grab the bull by the bollocks and make shit happen:

We're currently working on a merchant only version of the Android app, and some merchant friendly tweaks need to be made to that.  We've purchased tablets to provide to merchants as an AUR POS system, and we're testing that out and getting documentation ready for a push to get more merchants onboard.  A lot of the efforts right now are grass roots word of mouth by team members in Iceland.  The blockchain is functioning properly right now, and for the most part the price has been relatively stable, so technical developments are on the back burner in favor of code cleanup and maintenance.

Getting the word out to merchants should be one of the top priorities in my opinion. Being able to use it as a viable medium of exchange and having merchants passively promoting it is a great way to getting the word out to the population of Iceland.

As soon as the POS system is ready I would happily volunteer to fly over to Iceland and talk to the merchants personally. Being a bit rusty on speaking Icelandic though but heard that most people speak English.
I think a hands on approach would be the way to get the fastest results.

Also something that might be a great way to get the Icelandic population engaged is to load up a paper wallet with let's say 5K-10K AUR, cutting up the private key into 10 snippets and distributing them in Reykjavik.
That way it would be a quest to gather the snippets via puzzles and/or hints. The first to correctly solve the puzzles/hints along the way gets the prize.

I am sure the reward would be substantial enough to get media mentions via radio, news websites and newspapers. Also it would engage the population as the reward would be substantial.
Also would be happy to donate to it and contribute to a challenging enough quest.

In my opinion, Auroracoin has a great future ahead, but must be adopted as soon and as widely in Iceland as possible.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the post, sometimes this forum ends up in bickering about unimportant stuff, but your post is spot on what we need to be discussing. Merchant adoption...

Hopefully we will be able to push the merchants as soon as possible. I'm getting questions from a few individuals that send us mail directly to the Auroracoin Foundation asking what we should be doing and if we are going to be doing something.

The short answer is that most of the infrastructure is about ready to start the merchant adoption phase, but it will require manpower to go and ask merchants if they are willing to accept Auroracoin and show them how to set up a wallet and how to exchange on isx.is.

We will have to sell this payment method to them but I'm not sure what is the best sales pitch for merchants. They are perhaps most interested in getting paid faster, merchants get credit/debit cards are settled every 7- 30 days in Iceland. Perhaps they are interested in lower fees, now small merchants pay 2-5% for debit/credit cards which will drop down to ~1% if they sell on isx.is.

We might need Auroracoin stickers to put in the windows of their shops, perhaps the Foundation should order a few stickers and give to anyone that wants to distribute.  As said before we are working on getting some tablets going, perhaps subsidized by the Auroracoin foundation. It is pointless to talk to a merchant and not being able to deliver a working wallet. If they own an old mobile phone/tablet, that can sit by the cash register, connected to wifi, then that is all they need to start accepting. We will have to be able to set them up with a wallet and teach them how to work with Auroracoin.

Perhaps someone can create videos, a step by step process on what a merchant needs to do to start accepting. How the wallets work and how to use isx.is.

Then we have to promote these merchants and get the word out, use social media. Try to create incentives with the merchants (discount) to get people to use Aurroacoin and go to these merchants with their Auroracoin.

I'm sure we will get on the news and get free publicity when this gets going and we have set up 10-100 merchants.

JackCNX444

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 12:12:37 PM

Hello. Just registered, this is my first post. Are there any remaining AUR mining pools that are trustworthy? Would like to hook up my little rx 460 and mine a few AUR. I want to take a trip to Iceland next year about this time and intend to ONLY use the coins in Iceland. I have read the history of AUR and the project associated with it. I want to see this succeed for the Icelandic people.
BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 07:50:45 PM

Hello. Just registered, this is my first post. Are there any remaining AUR mining pools that are trustworthy? Would like to hook up my little rx 460 and mine a few AUR. I want to take a trip to Iceland next year about this time and intend to ONLY use the coins in Iceland. I have read the history of AUR and the project associated with it. I want to see this succeed for the Icelandic people.

I normally use Strataspool. It is not a big one, but reliable for me. It goes down sometimes, but I have a direct link to its admin, and he is very responsive to that.
JackCNX444

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 02, 2017, 08:13:45 PM

Cool, thanks man.
dinobotta

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:23:14 AM

I normally use Strataspool. It is not a big one, but reliable for me. It goes down sometimes, but I have a direct link to its admin, and he is very responsive to that.

I have also been using http://crypto.office-on-the.net:12353/static/ for mining Auroracoin

Auroracoin (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 5

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2017, 02:08:05 PM

MODERATION NOTICE

Today I have moderated some posts relating to adoption outside Iceland. This was done mainly due to the restless efforts of one certain community member that forgot about the rules here:

This is a self-moderated thread, please be advised of the rules we apply:

We decided to have a self-moderated thread because our team needs to focus on working on development and marketing for Auroracoin. We also want a clean and decent platform for announcements of new developments, without having pages filled with useless conversations posted by people not the least interested in positive development.

This thread will be moderated by:

Craig Dellandrea (Bimmerhead)
Martin Jansen (LTEX)
Yan Crevier (Soltantgris)

What is allowed?

- All constructive remarks and feedback on our announcements here are welcome (negative feedback can be constructive as well!)
- Questions or suggestions to the dev-team
- Short discussions on things are allowed, if things get to long, we will advise a separate thread on the subject.

What is NOT allowed?

- Negative feedback without room for decent discussion
- FUD
- Discriminating or racial content
- Endless repeating (or quoting) of same content (except official Fork warnings of course)
- Attempts to derail the focus on Iceland by starting to talk (to yourself) about acceptance of AUR in other countries

We thank you for keeping things descent here and not taking up our moderators time too much by following these simple rules!

In the process I also removed reactions to these posts, involving several well meaning members. This was done to clear up this thread and keep things focussed on the original targets. I hope those involved can understand.

Please folks, Auroracoin is still very much alive and on the verge of a massive breakthrough. Let's try and respect the simple rules applied.

TNX!
AURORACOIN

Martin Jansen (ltex)

BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 08:28:17 PM

I just found out that https://xmpp.is/ supports Auroracoin donations. Yay!
dinobotta

View Profile
July 03, 2017, 10:22:13 PM

What is this?

BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 05:49:39 AM

What is this?

xmpp is an extendible open standards communication protocol. They run a server for such service.
Google Talk is/was(?) based on that.
dinobotta

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 04:18:22 PM

Ok got it.

In bitcoins case will increasing the blocksize effectively make bitcoin "less rare".

No.  It doesn't change anything with supply.  It only allows for more transactions per block.

-Fuse

I understand supply is limited. But "transaction space" is limted too. Its limted to the size of the block.

What are the implications of making transaction space "less rare".

More transaction space will lead to lower fees/transaction for miners until the cap is reached.

Miners add transactions to the block they are mining, but they sort the transactions based on the highest to lowest fees attached, so the transactions with the highest fees will get into the next block and if they are up to the 1Mb caped transaction space those transactions with less fees will wait for the next block.

So if there is enough space in the block you will not pay higher and higher price to get your transaction into the next block, you will pay as little as you can if anything. When demand increases and more transactions go through you will pay a higher fee to make sure your transaction goes into the next block.

BioMike
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2017, 07:58:09 PM

The cap is also pure artificial, and was once created when people noticed they could start spamming the chain. Satoshi implemented it as a temporarily countermeasure, until a good solution would surface against the spamming.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 »
  Print  

Jump to: