Poll
Question: offline / frozen addresses
Want
May be
what?
No thanks

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: offline address - or a way to explicitly freeze an address  (Read 2535 times)
btcusr (OP)

Activity: 405
Merit: 255

@_vjy

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:54:44 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2013, 05:07:56 PM by btcusr

Frozen / Locked / Offline addresses

What is a 'frozen' address?
    An address locked for spending (but yet it can receive money)

Why you want to 'freeze' an address?
    To prevent spending in case of stolen / compromised private key

How is that possible?
    Simple. protect it with another key.

How you protect this 'freeze' key?
    Generate offline. Use one key only once (twice, for lock and unlock)

but, turtles all the way down?
    two turtles better than one turtle?  Roll Eyes

What is made possible now by this 'freezing'?
    you can use your cool firstbits address forever without worrying about stolen key

Why so much attachment to some random bit, after all it is free?
    may be it is trivial in my case (1vijay), but what about these firstbits 1, 1paypall, 1citi, 1microsoft, 1google, etc.

Is this some kind of planned loophole / backdoor that allows access to .. ?
    no, only who can spend can freeze

How safe is this 'frozen' address ?
    the safest; safer than a paper wallet

Safer than a paper wallet?
    yes, spending is prevented by implementations

The safest, huh?
    yes, hm.. I mean, only as safe as your 'freeze' key

How will this be implemented?
    A team working on this (now, its only me)

I want this to be implemented, what can I do?
    let the world know. participate in the poll of this thread

(to be continued)

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 04:19:50 AM

You can generate an address offline.

As long as you keep the private key secret, nobody can steal the bitcoin.
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 06:39:02 AM

Any comments?

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 08:12:30 AM

Any comments?

DannyHamilton told you how people implement this today.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 09:39:52 AM

Yes, I am aware of addresses generated offline, and tools used to generate addresses offline.  But, I tried to import private key to my block chain.info wallet and password protected wallet is backed up to many places. My password is quite strong, but I want to have more security for my wallet / address. Like, if I could externally freeze spending from my addresses, I think that would be great.

Whenever I want to spend btc I can unfreeze specific address for short period of time, and then freeze them again (by signing with different keys every time??).

This way I don't have to worry about my wallet getting stolen, because my addresses were frozen for spending.

All this is for I want to keep my firstbit addresses (1vijay, 1visu) forever. I still can create multi-sign (3xx*) addresses with one of these addresses part of it, but that's entirely different story.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 09:44:09 AM

I will try to explain further with detailed examples, implementation and pros/cons later. Smiley

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 09:58:17 AM

So how do you freeze your address-sealing keys, to make sure no-one can use them to unfreeze your frozen accounts?

Its turtles all the way down.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 10:19:40 AM

Good question. I am not planning to freeze my second key, instead I will change them as I prefer. I mean I will freeze with third key, and then unfreeze with second key, so now I would need only third key to unfreeze my address. One unfreezed, now I can use my first private key to spend btc. Immediately after spending I will freeze my address again with third or another new key (4th).

If somehow we can implement this to blockchain, then it would really be useful for everyone.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:06:47 AM

No.  This can't be done.

Transactions in bitcoin simply don't work they way you think they do.  Sorry.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:24:17 PM

Why you think it is not useful, or can't be done?

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 04:46:53 PM

I still believe this kind of address freezing is the bestest safest way to store / exchange coins. Smiley

I will try to explain it further.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:41:39 PM

It is not useful because if you had a "locked" address and also the authority to "unlock" that address, then basically it would be the same as having the private key.

but with the ability to change second "unlock" key will be useful in many cases. so the first address remains safe always, and can receive money even when it was locked.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 02:54:26 PM

Now something similar to offline addresses mentioned above, can be done using multi-sign addresses, but in this case, new address keep changing, so it is not possible to use single address for receiving funds forever.

Now to answer an important question, when address creation is so cheep why you want to use one address forever? well, I got my firstbit addresses (1vijay and 1visu) and I don't want to loose it. Using one address as main address for all transactions, and protecting with second set of keys for freeze / unfreeze purposes, is preferable in many cases.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 03:04:23 PM

when I was reading through bitcoin.it, I found some concepts related to this 'offline / frozen address' do exist with bitcoin eco-syatem; like, nlocktime, exit address and contracts.

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 05:11:26 PM

You can simply leave the private key of your vanity address in an offline client such as Armory. Locking private key X with private key Y gives you no extra security than 2-of-2 multisig with X and Y

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:33:02 AM

You can simply leave the private key of your vanity address in an offline client such as Armory. Locking private key X with private key Y gives you no extra security than 2-of-2 multisig with X and Y

No, I have already imported it to my Blockchain.info wallet. Again, addresses generated offline is not the same as 'frozen' addresses. 'Frozen' addresses only receive, and will not spend funds.

With 2x2 scheme receiving addresses keep changing.

May be I should put less emphasis on addresses, and throw away old addresses, after all it is free. But, I prefer to keep it forever.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:49:05 AM

Exploring 'script', and checking possibilities to define public address and firstbits-like shorthand notation (say 'secondbits') outside block chain. With this, I can keep one shorthand address notation and associate it with any public addresses.

And, I have to do this in a way that users don't have to trust 'secondbits' provider.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:30:59 AM

It would require a huge rework of the Bitcoin code, and introduce a hard fork to the blockchain. What you mentioned can be done by using a time-based 2-part signature service, much like TTBit was offering some time ago, but a more practical and secure way would be to generate the address using some offline utility like Vanitygen and print the keys out.

tl;dr: No.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:41:08 AM

We still offer it. lbaat.net. Although not sure it would satisfy what you are trying to accomplish

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:33:06 AM

It would require a huge rework of the Bitcoin code, and introduce a hard fork to the blockchain.

I am sure it wouldn't require lots of code changes. With some (lot) effort, I can implement all this myself. Real question is should we implement this, and what benefits it bring to the Bitcoin ecosystem.

And, no, surely it wouldn't require a hard fork, and this 'freeze' transaction is not meant to change already created blocks. It is only for new blocks (of course old addresses already in the block can also be used), it will also include transaction fees.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:45:00 AM

tl;dr: No.

Simply,

- an address can be frozen for spending
 - can keep one address without worrying about loss of its primary key
 - first primary key is protected by second primary which can be changed as and when required
 - second primary key is only used for lock / unlock (freeze / unfreeze) first address

It is not the same as m*n key because,

- with m*n, address keep changing, so cannot use one address for all transactions

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:04:38 AM

The stuff you're saying doesn't make sense.  I simply can't take anything you say seriously if you can't explain it in a way that makes sense.  Either you don't understand how bitcoin works, or I don't understand what you are suggesting. (Maybe both?)
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:37:19 AM

The stuff you're saying doesn't make sense.  I simply can't take anything you say seriously if you can't explain it in a way that makes sense.  Either you don't understand how bitcoin works, or I don't understand what you are suggesting. (Maybe both?)

Ok, here's an example,

Let's say you own firstbits address, '1Hamilton'. You spent lot of time, effort and money to generate it and you are happy to use this address for all your transactions.

At some point of time, you doubt your firstbits private key was stolen / compromised. Now only option for you is to stop using it. Would that be OK for you?

How about satoshi loosing his, firstbits '1'?

You got the problem now? Smiley

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:14:02 AM

Ok, here's an example,
- snip -
You got the problem now? Smiley

Yes, I've understood that you have a sentimental attachment to a random string of letters and numbers that happens to match a particular pattern that you like.  I've also understood that you are concerned about the private key associated with that string of characters being compromised.  This isn't the part that I don't understand.

The part I don't understand is how you think you can "freeze" an address without "lots of code changes" and why you think "surely it wouldn't require a hard fork".  I also don't understand why you think that "address keep changing" with 2-of-2 multisig.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:25:31 AM

No one else will do it. Not one of the main developers will also do it, when it's as easy as using a brand new or different address. Any address that can receive coins will be able to spend it if you have the private key.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:16:10 AM

> The part I don't understand is how you think
 > you can "freeze" an address without "lots of
 > code changes"

Frozen or not is just 1 bit detail, I hope this is possible through 'script'ing, so requires zero or minimal change. Just we need to check whether address is frozen before proceeding with sign validation. Yet, I am not very sure.

> why you think "surely it wouldn't require a
> hard fork".

I am suggesting that this can be implemented as specialized freeze/unfreeze transaction, or through a new flag in usual transactions. Either ways, this is going to be a new transaction with a fee. We are not going to redo all the hashing from Genesis block.

> I also don't understand why you think that
> "address keep changing" with 2-of-2
> multisig.

This again for the emotional attachment with the random bits. I want to include compromised address as one of multisig address. Now, I have to let everyone know my new address. When this address gets compromised, or every time I want to use different key to sign, then I have to create another multisig address.

This way also, I cannot use one address forever.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:24:14 AM

And, don't worry. I am not trying to give someone else the authority to freeze all your addresses. If they can freeze your address, then they also can also spend your money. Means, you need original private key to freeze an address.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:35:19 AM

Yet, I am not very sure.

This much is now very clear to me.

Frozen or not is just 1 bit detail, I hope this is possible through 'script'ing, so requires zero or minimal change.

The "script" that is used in a bitcoin transaction describes what is required to spend the transaction. How can this be used to lock and unlock an address?

Just we need to check whether address is frozen before proceeding with sign validation.

Easy to say. As far as I know, impossible to do without a "hard fork". Do you know of a method that would avoid a "hard fork" that you haven't described yet?

I am suggesting that this can be implemented as specialized freeze/unfreeze transaction, or through a new flag in usual transactions.

Which would require a "hard fork" as far as I know. Do you know of a method that would avoid a "hard fork" that you haven't described yet?

We are not going to redo all the hashing from Genesis block.

Nobody said anything about hashing from the Genisis block.  Perhaps you don't understand what a "hard fork" is?

This again for the emotional attachment with the random bits. I want to include compromised address as one of multisig address. Now, I have to let everyone know my new address. When this address gets compromised, or every time I want to use different key to sign, then I have to create another multisig address.

Ok, I think I see your concern with multisig, but I still don't see how you are going to fix that problem with you "address freezing" process.
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:44:53 AM

just use Armory, can even be the same wallet (then u have to use Coin Control) Wink

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:26:55 PM

> The "script" that is used in a bitcoin transaction describes
> what is required to spend the transaction. How can
> this be used to lock and unlock an address?

the same way how script spends coins.

verify unlock signature, unlock, verify spend signature, spend

or, something similar to that.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:44:05 PM

Would like to end this thread, as I figure out implementation further.  Smiley
your suggestions always welcome.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 03:55:16 PM

Would like to end this thread, as I figure out implementation further.  Smiley
your suggestions always welcome.

Yes. Please end this thread.

Your suggestion of:

the same way how script spends coins.

verify unlock signature, unlock, verify spend signature, spend

or, something similar to that.

offers no improvements over multisig.  You would need to provide anyone who sends you bitcoin with the public key of your "unlock keypair" and they would have to create a transaction that includes that in the "script".  This would only lock that transaction, not the entire address, until the "unlock keypair" was compromised.  Then you would have to send out to everyone another unlock public key, and would have to move all your own old coins to a new transaction using the new unlock keypair.

This is essentially a multisig solution that requires giving out a public key instead of an address?
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:10:39 PM

something like this..  Roll Eyes

Code:
{
  "hash":"...",
  "ver":1,
  "vin_sz":1,
  "vout_sz":2,
  "lock_time":0,
  "frozen":1,
}

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:16:42 PM

Code:
{
}

I don't see where the "unfreeze key" is in that example?
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:21:16 PM

Code:
{
}

I don't see where the "unfreeze key" is in that example?

thats ok, it is just an idea. an incomplete example.

btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:21:59 PM

finally, I got 1 more want in the poll. I am happy as if it is implemented.
I will edit first post for clarity. Smiley

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 04:23:32 PM

How to freeze your bitcoins:

1. Print a paper wallet at bitaddress.org
2. Send your bitcoins to the address printed on it
3. There is no step 3

Recover your bitcoins later by creating a throwaway Blockchain.info web wallet, importing the paper wallet, and sending the coins to an address of your choice.  You can avoid leaving any unused coins in the web wallet simply by printing a new paper wallet and sending the balance there.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:26:11 PM

thats ok, it is just an example. an incomplete idea.

FTFY  Wink
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:40:37 PM

How to freeze your bitcoins:

1. Print a paper wallet at bitaddress.org
2. Send your bitcoins to the address printed on it
3. There is no step 3

Recover your bitcoins later by creating a throwaway Blockchain.info web wallet, importing the paper wallet, and sending the coins to an address of your choice.  You can avoid leaving any unused coins in the web wallet simply by printing a new paper wallet and sending the balance there.

@casascius, thanks for your post. finally, I think my post got some attention.
you are one of very few members, I can recognize by profile name. Smiley

now, how would you solve my main problem,

I want to keep my firstbits address 1vijay, 1visu forever, to receive and spend.

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:42:43 PM

You can generate an address offline.

As long as you keep the private key secret, nobody can steal the bitcoin.

A frozen address with time-activated release would be far more secure than an offline address.

The requirement to 'keep a private key secret' makes security depend on humans, and humans are fallible.  Best to outsource security to the protocol as much as possible.

I can see lots of real world scenarios where a time-locked address would be useful and an offline address isn't good enough:

(1) A large 'bank' or exchange that has billions of dollars worth of bitcoin in cold storage. Even if the bank assigns multiple signatories to spend those bitcoins, they could be kidnapped and forced to disclose the private key.
(2) A famous rich person who is publicly known to own a lot of bitcoins.  Again, the frozen wallet would discourage kidnappers.
(3) A problem gambler who wants to keep his retirement fund safe from himself.
(4) A single parent who has terminal cancer and greedy relatives, and who wants to leave his bitcoins to his 13-year old child.
(5) A bitcoin enthusiast who lives under a tyrannical regime and fears that the authorities might imprison and torture him in order to obtain his bitcoins.

As bitcoin gains in value and maturity, these kinds of examples are going to gain relevance.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 05:02:17 PM

No matter how you cut it though, if you have a time-locked address, the bad guy has just as much chance of being the person to get the coins the minute the time runs out as the good guy, possibly even more so if the good guy is in a vulnerable position.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:18:39 PM

I think, "time-based lock" is different from "frozen".

"time-based lock" is for predefined time, "freezing" is adhoc.

compromised "time-based lock" address, has no protection.
when in doubt, "frozen" addresses can be unlocked, and then locked with new "freeze" key.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:27:49 PM

when in doubt, "frozen" addresses can be unlocked, and then locked with new "freeze" key.

You keep saying this.  I give up.
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:32:09 PM

You keep saying this.  I give up.

easy for you, I can't do that.  Smiley

I still have to go a long way to answer questions like,
whether this can be implemented?
can I do this?
will this ever be released?

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:24:48 PM

No matter how you cut it though, if you have a time-locked address, the bad guy has just as much chance of being the person to get the coins the minute the time runs out as the good guy, possibly even more so if the good guy is in a vulnerable position.

True. But my idea is to use the time lock as an additional security feature on top of already existing security features, such as offline wallets and multisig.

Instead of using time locks that expire on a fixed date, I would suggest using 'ratchet' time locks where the expiry date can be postponed indefinitely by the owner of the address.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
btcusr (OP)

@_vjy

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 11:47:17 PM

Instead of using time locks that expire on a fixed date, I would suggest using 'ratchet' time locks where the expiry date can be postponed indefinitely by the owner of the address.

so, someone gets they key can extend the lock and prevent you from spending.

how you could postpone a time lock? through a new transaction?

Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:32:23 AM

I still have to go a long way to answer questions like,
whether this can be implemented?
can I do this?
will this ever be released?

1. Probably can not be implemented.
2. Probably no easy way to do it yourself without changing the protocol. It could be client dependent.
3. Probably not ever be released.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: