Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:32:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] JeffColo - 3 MW / Miner Hosting / Colocation - West Coast (DC)  (Read 12291 times)
sunbreak (OP)

Activity: 107
Merit: 30

View Profile
September 07, 2017, 11:07:42 AM

List has been updated!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jwchong

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:12:10 AM

For - Dedicated Rack -> $2000/month + Direct Utility Payment [ ~ 60 kW ]

How much is the electricity calculated per kWh?

Can you post some photos / videos of your datacenter?

Waiting for your reply to my above questions.
pc2002

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 05:04:43 PM

E-mail sent last week. No respond yet. Still waiting.
sunbreak (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 08:48:33 PM

E-mail sent last week. No respond yet. Still waiting.

As stated above, we are busy building out at this time. We will not be responding to hosting requests quickly.

With the current state of the waiting list we have no available capacity opening up until late December 2017 to early January 2018.

If you sent us an email asking for a capacity reservation then you will be added to the list in the chronological order we receive the emails. We do not update the list on this announcement page everyday, we will attempt to update it every couple of weeks.

Obviously customer equipment that is showing up now needs to be setup and running as quickly as possible so our buildout is of the most importance in priorities.

Hosting requests for capacity that isn't built out yet must take a lower priority. I know this might seem hard to understand, but if you are a customer who has had equipment showing up in the last two weeks then you probably value this order of priorities quite a bit.
sunbreak (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 08:50:02 PM

For - Dedicated Rack -> $2000/month + Direct Utility Payment [ ~ 60 kW ]

How much is the electricity calculated per kWh?

Can you post some photos / videos of your datacenter?

Waiting for your reply to my above questions.

I believe you were sent a PM, let me know if you still have questions.
ludovicus

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 04:55:48 AM

Checking if you have any spot for 100 antminers starting early November...
sunbreak (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 05:48:21 PM

We wouldn't have room for that based on our waiting list until most likely late December to early January. If you would like I can put you on the waiting list. What type of Antminer are they S9, L3+, D3?
ludovicus

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 04:41:55 AM

We wouldn't have room for that based on our waiting list until most likely late December to early January. If you would like I can put you on the waiting list. What type of Antminer are they S9, L3+, D3?

Please...

I have 90 antminers orederd on the way.

​28 L3+  800w
62 D3​  1200w

28    L3+ (Oct 21-31 Batch)   
36    D3   (Oct 15-25 Batch)

19    D3  (Nov 1-15   Batch)   
7      D3  (Nov 21-30 Batch)
ludovicus

View Profile
October 05, 2017, 05:48:30 AM

I might add another 6 antminers (3 d3 & 3 L3+)

Please put me on waiting list.

I really would love to send my antminers to you.
Thanks.
ebrain

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:11:53 PM

I have 4 D3s and 2 L3s for which I need space immediately. Please include me in your wait list too.
sunbreak (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:05:52 AM

Terrible service

I would advise anyone looking for a hosting facility to keep away from jeffcolo

Have you ever been a customer? Do you have some experience you would like to share? If you are referring to the delay on email response or pm's? You might have missed the notices I posted about what to expect here;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1467198.msg22218765#msg22218765

and here;

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1467198.msg21330284#msg21330284

Sorry we couldn't meet your expectations. I hope you can elaborate more as to how you weren't satisfied.
sunbreak (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:06:20 AM

List has been updated!
sunbreak (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:19:40 AM
Last edit: November 21, 2017, 09:23:12 PM by sunbreak

I wanted to update everyone following this announcement on the state of things at the moment.

First and foremost, we did take possession of our new datacenter space on 09/11/2017. We were able to quickly get the first 500 kW service up and running that first week and were busy moving customer gear into it. Starting in October we were able to add an additional service for the second 500 kW service. This was supposed to be the cadence we would continue following until the new year when we planned to have our entire 3 MW available for colocation customers.

Unfortunately there have been delays thrown into the plan by both the local utility and also with our electrical equipment suppliers. The problem with the utility stemmed around our stated load calculations and the utilities lack of belief in them. The utility here has never had to size equipment for a datacenter before and they undersized our service delivery transformers despite our indicated load figures. We were unaware of the sizing problem since the transformers have no significant information located on the exterior.

The first 500 kW service turned out to be running on a 300 kVA transformer which is being upgraded this Friday to a more suitable 500 kVA unit since it was determined that we are severely overloading it to the point of leaking oil.

The second 500 kW service in turn was also on a similar undersized transformer that doesn't seem to match their records. At this point we are unsure what size it actually is and have been instructed to halt adding any additional load until the size can be validated. We have been monitoring the temperature rise of that transformer and found it to be operating well within tolerances. Unfortunately the utility did not agree with our assessment and we will need to wait until Friday to find out what the situation is.

At this point the utility determined the existing plan for power distribution was no longer going to work as our "constant" load was not within their expectations. They wanted to revisit the plan to oversize our transformers and also potentially shorten our timeline to getting a significant amount of capacity online. They proposed that instead of using 6 x 500 kVA transformers as originally planned that instead they would site 3 x 1500 kVA transformers over the next 3 months and limit our usage to no more than 3.5 MW ensuring that we are only ever running the transformers at a maximum of 73% utilization.

That means that as soon as that first 1500 kVA transformer is placed, we would be bringing on an additional 1.15 MW immediately. That could certainly accelerate customer placement. Unfortunately this also means it all has to go back to the electrical and civil engineers to update the design, back to the county for a plan review of the changes and then finally onto the build out schedule at the utility. I have no idea how long this will take, we are trying to expedite it as much as possible.

Unfortunately shifting from 500 kVA to 1500 kVA transformers significantly increases the fault current requirements of down stream equipment. This resulted in some design changes to the type of disconnects and respective fuses. Fortunately it didn't change any of the customer facing switch gear (meters).

The unfortunate part is the update from our electrical supplier on the state of our order for that customer facing switchgear. Apparently due to the events in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico, electrical equipment has become very high demand and disaster relief areas get first priority. We were given an estimate of approximately 6-8 weeks before we see any of that gear. I really hope it ends up being sooner, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I suspect that the utility changes and respective local government involvement will likely cause a similar delay. We're going to try to make enough progress with the utility so that by the time work begins it will be coordinated fairly closely with the arrival of our long awaited switchgear.

All this means that if you were given an availability date of late October to early November you can expect it now to be closer to late December to early January.

LightZ

Activity: 772
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 11:52:25 PM

Hosted my miners with Jeff for long time and I really recommend him, Also have sent miners from Bitmain directly to Jeff which he set them up really fast.

MrJaekin

Activity: 275
Merit: 258

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 02:23:42 AM

Definitely following this thread... Need a home for my S9s.  😀
MrJaekin

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:28:42 AM

I wanted to update everyone following this announcement on the state of things at the moment.

First and foremost, we did take possession of our new datacenter space on 09/11/2017. We were able to quickly get the first 500 kW service up and running that first week and were busy moving customer gear into it. Starting in October we were able to add an additional service for the second 500 kW service. This was supposed to be the cadence we would continue following until the new year when we planned to have our entire 3 MW available for colocation customers.

Unfortunately there have been delays thrown into the plan by both the local utility and also with our electrical equipment suppliers. The problem with the utility stemmed around our stated load calculations and the utilities lack of belief in them. The utility here has never had to size equipment for a datacenter before and they undersized our service delivery transformers despite our indicated load figures. We were unaware of the sizing problem since the transformers have no significant information located on the exterior.

The first 500 kW service turned out to be running on a 300 kVA transformer which is being upgraded this Friday to a more suitable 500 kVA unit since it was determined that we are severely overloading it to the point of leaking oil.

The second 500 kW service in turn was also on a similar undersized transformer that doesn't seem to match their records. At this point we are unsure what size it actually is and have been instructed to halt adding any additional load until the size can be validated. We have been monitoring the temperature rise of that transformer and found it to be operating well within tolerances. Unfortunately the utility did not agree with our assessment and we will need to wait until Friday to find out what the situation is.

At this point the utility determined the existing plan for power distribution was no longer going to work as our "constant" load was not within their expectations. They wanted to revisit the plan to oversize our transformers and also potentially shorten our timeline to getting a significant amount of capacity online. They proposed that instead of using 6 x 500 kVA transformers as originally planned that instead they would site 3 x 1500 kVA transformers over the next 3 months and limit our usage to no more than 3.5 MW ensuring that we are only ever running the transformers at a maximum of 73% utilization.

That means that as soon as that first 1500 kVA transformer is placed, we would be bringing on an additional 1.15 MW immediately. That could certainly accelerate customer placement. Unfortunately this also means it all has to go back to the electrical and civil engineers to update the design, back to the county for a plan review of the changes and then finally onto the build out schedule at the utility. I have no idea how long this will take, we are trying to expedite it as much as possible.

Unfortunately shifting from 500 kVA to 1500 kVA transformers significantly increases the fault current requirements of down stream equipment. This resulted in some design changes to the type of disconnects and respective fuses. Fortunately it didn't change any of the customer facing switch gear (meters).

The unfortunate part is the update from our electrical supplier on the state of our order for that customer facing switchgear. Apparently due to the events in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico, electrical equipment has become very high demand and disaster relief areas get first priority. We were given an estimate of approximately 6-8 weeks before we see any of that gear. I really hope it ends up being sooner, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I suspect that the utility changes and respective local government involvement will likely cause a similar delay. We're going to try to make enough progress with the utility so that by the time work begins it will be coordinated fairly closely with the arrival of our long awaited switchgear.

All this means that if you were given an availability date of late October to early November you can expect it now to be closer to late December to early January.

sunbreak, are you still on track for late December to early January on your buildout? I held off on this last batch of S9s and only bought 1 because I didn't have any place to put them. Do you think you will have any hosting space available early next year?  Thanks!
a29654

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 08:26:55 AM

Any update? I have been waiting since august
MrJaekin

View Profile
December 20, 2017, 01:24:28 PM

I’m “patiently” awaiting an update as well.   Grin
btcapollo

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 05:10:31 AM

I’m “patiently” awaiting an update as well.   Grin

Any update on availability here with Jeffcolo?
sunbreak (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 06:35:56 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2018, 08:00:27 AM by sunbreak

I’m “patiently” awaiting an update as well.   Grin

Any update on availability here with Jeffcolo?

I know people have been patiently waiting for an update and I haven't given one in awhile. We have been expediting all of our engineering and plan reviews with a feverish pace. Unfortunately at the same time we also got an early present as Bitmain shipped a significant quantity of miners almost a month earlier than expected. Combined with the holiday season, the last 40 days have been a whirlwind.

Here is the update for everyone following this announcement.

We have 1 MW online at the moment that has validated our adapted modular design for indoor operation. Our electrical engineer has reworked the power distribution design in order to distribute the (48) 200 amp services throughout the building. Additionally we had to hire a civil engineer to work out all the new vault requirements for these new larger than life 1500 kVA transformers. All of this got submitted to local code enforcement for plan review, it passed and we received our permit to start work. Getting this all pulled together going into the holidays was no small feat. All of this information was submitted to the local utility and we are waiting for them to come back with a cost and scheduled installation date for the first transformer.

These modifications shouldn't have been that big of a deal. However we had a benefit with the outdoor version of our module. When considering code enforcement, the outdoor module was considered its own independent structure. Unfortunately when you bring all that power in under one roof there are huge changes that have to be made. I could get started on all the nuances, but it probably deserves it's own book.

Meanwhile we have contracted with a local excavation company that should be starting on the groundwork for the transformer pads and underground conduit maze. All that conduit is going to be quite the spectacle when it's all done and ready to back fill. The excavation company will have the horizontal boring work done to bring the 12 kV primary power to our new vaults.

At the same time we are having our boring work done for the electrical, we will also have boring done for our dark fiber feed into the regional internet exchange. Currently we are using symmetrical gigabit fiber from a local provider as our primary means of connectivity.

Our electrical supplier let us know that the switchgear should be delivered soon and our electrician is ready to go. We found a supplier who indicated they could have the 15,000ft of 300 MCM wire to us within 2 weeks.

While the electrical work is being done we will be having the building exterior modified to accommodate the air flow requirements for both incoming and outgoing air. A dedicated firewalled mechanical room will need to be built for power ingress.

tldr;

The good news is that things are progressing, the bad news is that we were way to optimistic about getting things done over the holidays. We are still at the mercy of the power utilities schedule, so at this time it's impossible to know precisely when things will actually be ready. However I believe all the things I described above should be done in 4-6 weeks from now and hopefully the utility will have us on their schedule for our first transformer install shortly after.

Also, we recently hired help for coordinating with customers. More importantly now than ever please use the 'hosting@jeffcolo.net' email address and you should get a far faster reply than you would from me.

As you can imagine, we are working hard every day to make this thing a reality.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: