Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:20:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would a Senior please help?  (Read 566 times)
LordofNosgoth (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:06:05 AM

I decided to give mining a try. I'd like to try mining solo for a bit until I learn more about how it works. I've followed all the tutorials I can find but I get this error:

"[Errno 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it"

Anyone know how to fix this?

Also:

How, exactly, does mining work? It seems like "mining" is a bit like encrypting/decrypting transactions; but I'm a n00b, so what the hell do I know?

Any information would be helpful and enlightening.

Thanks.

'Nosgoth

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 11:12:50 AM

Mining is doing a computation over and over until the network accepts it, when the network accepts your solutions then you get to add transactions and get the fees from that.

Also mining is over especially solo for new people so stop wasting your time and money on electric, and explore another way to make bitcoins.
LordofNosgoth (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:32:46 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 06:19:41 AM by LordofNosgoth

Mining is doing a computation over and over until the network accepts it, when the network accepts your solutions then you get to add transactions and get the fees from that.

Also mining is over especially solo for new people so stop wasting your time and money on electric, and explore another way to make bitcoins.

So, rather than answer my question about fixing the problem, your response is: "Don't bother. Go somewhere else."?

Edited for content by author.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:34:52 AM

So, rather than answer my question about fixing the problem, your response is: "Don't bother. Go somewhere else."?

You're not a "Hero Member", you're a fucking troll.

Yes I am trolling you, I am saving you the embarrassment of spending more money then making money. Plus I did answer your question when you asked what is mining...

How, exactly, does mining work? It seems like "mining" is a bit like encrypting/decrypting transactions; but I'm a n00b, so what the hell do I know?

Plus I said nicely to explore another way to make bitcoin and help the community but I guess your dumb and just want to set up for failure.
LordofNosgoth (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:41:55 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 06:20:09 AM by LordofNosgoth

Yes I am trolling you, I am saving you the embarrassment of spending more money then making money. Plus I did answer your question when you asked what is mining...

Plus I said nicely to explore another way to make bitcoin and help the community but I guess your dumb and just want to set up for failure.

What I do or do not do, failure or no, is none of your business; nor is how I choose to conduct my own business. I don't give a fuck about your "community" since the only one who answered trolled me rather than provide a helpful response.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:49:06 AM

What I do or do not do, failure or no, is none of your business; nor is how I choose to conduct my own business. I don't give a fuck about your "community" since the only one who answered trolled me rather than provide a helpful response.

If I choose to waste my time and efforts, that's my damned business. If you don't want to help, that's yours. But if you can't post something constructive and helpful, I'll thank you to keep your opinions to yourself.

I actually didn't even troll you, you just acting like a crazy person for nothing and if this how you conduct business, then maybe graduate Middle school, you acting like a 12yr.

Also you need to "server=1" to your bitcoin.conf it took all of 5 seconds to google, and you better say sorry, cause you just acted like a 12yr.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:49:17 AM

http://bit.ly/W5G8Nw
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:52:28 AM

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 05:55:00 AM

I received the moderator report from you, and your reply wasn't that polite so to say. Gweedo is our resident troll but in this case I don't think he's trolling you. He has merely stated an obvious fact, and even taken the time to explain a question to you.

Still trolling rather than helping. Is this how your community works? If so, may Bitcoin and every asshole that deals with it fall to ruin.
LordofNosgoth (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 06:10:41 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 06:21:32 AM by LordofNosgoth

I received the moderator report from you, and your reply wasn't that polite so to say. Gweedo is our resident troll but in this case I don't think he's trolling you. He has merely stated an obvious fact, and even taken the time to explain a question to you.

Still trolling rather than helping. Is this how your community works? If so, may Bitcoin ...

I apologize to all who took offense. I don't respond well to trolls. And I did google search the issue. It got me nowhere. It's why I came here for help.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to anyone that my attempt at solo mining was only to ascertain exactly how much computational power is required. Since all current pooling efforts reward very small amounts to any new members (and that's for the few pools still accepting new members) that maybe I was interested in setting up my own pooling effort. To that end, it should occur to everyone that the primary way of making the value of any currency rise is the use of that currency by both consumers and retailers. Supply and demand; it's the base of every economy. People who invest time and effort in mining are more likely to invest similar time and effort in convincing retailers and consumers to use the currency they've invested in. Anyone setting up a new pooling effort would want to maximize the value of what they do gain by convincing more people to use the currency.

If the community responsible for the maintenance of bitcoin is to respond in a manner that is not at all helpful to those with questions, would you, as a retailer or consumer, want to be a part of that system? You know the answer to that.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 06:13:28 AM

Still trolling rather than helping. Is this how your community works? If so, may Bitcoin and every asshole that deals with it fall to ruin.

I apologize to all who took offense. I don't respond well to trolls. And I did google search the issue. It got me nowhere. It's why I came here for help.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to anyone that my attempt at solo mining was only to ascertain exactly how much computational power is required. Since all current pooling efforts reward very small amounts to any new members (and that's for the few pools still accepting new members) that maybe I was interested in setting up my own pooling effort. To that end, it should occur to everyone that the primary way of making the value of any currency rise is the use of that currency by both consumers and retailers. Supply and demand; it's the base of every economy. People who invest time and effort in mining are more likely to invest similar time and effort in convincing retailers and consumers to use the currency they've invested in. Anyone setting up a new pooling effort would want to maximize the value of what they do gain by convincing more people to use the currency.

If the community responsible for the maintenance of bitcoin is to respond in a manner that is not at all helpful to those with questions, would you, as a retailer or consumer, want to be a part of that system? You know the answer to that.

None of us are responsible for the "maintenance of bitcoin" Tongue  We're just folks who like bitcoin.  We're basically you.  That's why it was weird that you flipped a table over something really small.  That's the kind of stuff you do to the guy in India who's trying and failing to help you with your phone bill.  Not to some dude you're in a room with who was kind enough to point you in the right direction.

LordofNosgoth (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 06:19:08 AM

... Also you need to "server=1" to your bitcoin.conf ...

Wow. Thank you. Was that so hard? Please, next time, just answer the question instead of being a jerk. I'll edit my posts to remove obstinate content.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 06:25:51 AM

... Also you need to "server=1" to your bitcoin.conf ...

Wow. Thank you. Was that so hard? Please, next time, just answer the question instead of being a jerk. I'll edit my posts to remove obstinate content.

WOW to you cause I wasn't even a jerk, and you forgot your sorry to me, you can edit that into a post Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: