Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:31:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is mining still profitable?  (Read 3302 times)
snipemdown (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:03:56 PM

Hello evryone , i have been looking for a computer lately and i found one that pefectly fits me

- AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Quad-core, 3,2Ghz) ( Processor )

- 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz ( Memory )

- AMD Radeon HD6970 2GB (Graphics card)

- 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 (SDD)

- 1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB cache (HDD)

- Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B (Cooling)

- DVD-burner, black (Optional )

- Asrock 890GX Extreme3 (Motherboard)

- Cooler Master Elite 370 (Case)

- Be-Quiet 700W 80+ (Power supply)

( all together for 900 euro's )

My question is is mining profitable for me? ( i live in belgium )
Also if it isn't profitable for me where should i buy a computer then that ships to belgium. My budget is 1000 euro's max

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
detroit

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:07:04 PM

You you buying that setup just for mining?  Or just specing out a new PC for yourself that you can also mine on?
It would be a lot harder to justify building a complete PC (with SSD!) to mine vs the idea that you want a nice, new PC and you just need to justify the electricity to keep it running full speed to determine "profitable".
That looks like a nice PC to use at home.  Go ahead and mine on it!

Tradehill.com referral code: TH-R1494
Please consider using it if I've said something useful!
snipemdown (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:08:33 PM

Well to be fair with you i will use the pc for multiple purposes ( gaming , making video's , rendering and mining ) so im kinda asking if im not busy on the computer if mining is profitable.
Reckman

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:09:13 PM

That's a horrible investment for mining, you could get at least 2.5 times as many MHASH for the same cost...at least in the US Idk about euro zone, for us we can get about 1000mhash/900USD.
detroit

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:11:52 PM

You're perfect!

Use your new PC, it looks pretty nice!

Mine on it and see if the value of you bitcoins exceeds what you're spending on extra electricity.  That card is probably about 200Wx24hr=4.8kW*h each day.  Multiply that by your electric rate and compare to the value of you bitcoins.  You may need to add more electricity to your calculation if you would have turned off the PC when you weren't using it.

snipemdown (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:16:47 PM

Yeah i know it could be better but like i said in my earlier reply i gonne use it as a multi-purpose pc and one part of it is mining. Now im asking if i will gain money on mining on times im not on the pc or if i better shut it down. Also i looked for many sites that have mining rigs ( i am not going to make a costum pc myself ) either they don't got a system with less then the 1000 euro price tag or they don't ship to Belgium.
MCWey8

Activity: 81

[ Poor Miner ]

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:18:18 PM

the specs make it seem as MORE than a mining rig .. a rig wouldn't need all those bells and whistles (1 TB HDD, 60 GB SDD, DVD BURNER, 8 GB RAM) .. cut the fat, make a profit

the graphics card: ATI RADEON 6970 can get 323-423 MH/s

if we calculate at 323

that is a estimate of ฿17.41 per month at current difficulty.

estimate of ฿13.29 per month at the next tier difficulty.

if the price of the bitcoin stay stable and you are about to achieve 98% uptime (mining time) then it is a estimate of USD $417.00 a month .. but the actual transaction of Bitcoin to Currency being a changing market the actual amount could(would) change ... the bitcoins you will generate are for sure.

p.s.: also any time NOT MINING will lower how many coins you are getting
snipemdown (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:25:03 PM

Yeah crafter i know that but i don't find any good site that offers mining rig or costumization and that ships to belgium the one i found now is from holland and offers a little bit of costumization.
Freakin

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:28:01 PM

you can offset the cost of your general purpose PC by mining.  That machine will not pay for itself through mining.

You need a *very* efficiently built/run mining rig to expect to pay it off
snipemdown (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:38:25 PM

So you guys say it is not profitable, ok but does anyone know a good shop that gives you the opportunity to make a mining rig ( costumizing ) or just build a premade mining rig and it should also ship to belgium. ( also i got no experience in building a computer myself )
Atlanta.SteveA

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:59:43 PM

Building a rig is super easy. Have you ever changed a component in a pc? RAM, HD, or Video Card? It is the same, only repeated a few more times, then install the OS and you are good. If you have never changed a component in a pc before, mining efficiently might be above your current skill level. Getting the hardware is only the first step. To get the most out of your machine, you need to be comfortable working with your gear. Overclocking, cooling, and being able to quickly diagnose issues are prerequisites to running a profitable mining rig. This rush is a great time to learn these things though. If you hit problems, try to distill them down to the most basic keywords, then google will have an answer for anything you come across.

-SteveA
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:56:45 PM

no its not. don't build that rig.
snipemdown (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 08:02:36 AM

k thank you
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 08:13:27 AM

No, go away, leave the $$$ for me  Grin

If you have the cojones, I'd suggest a bit of speculation - buy/sell them
detroit

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:44:28 PM

Yeah i know it could be better but like i said in my earlier reply i gonne use it as a multi-purpose pc and one part of it is mining. Now im asking if i will gain money on mining on times im not on the pc or if i better shut it down. Also i looked for many sites that have mining rigs ( i am not going to make a costum pc myself ) either they don't got a system with less then the 1000 euro price tag or they don't ship to Belgium.

That'll be a very nice general use PC and it can generate some income by mining.  Do you currently need (or at least WANT) a new PC?  If so, I'd base my viability on the cost of the graphics card and electricity.  If you're quite happy with your current PC, but just want to get into mining, then it's harder to justify the expense of that nice new machine you've got spec'ed out.

Don't be put off by those saying it's a bad design for a miner.  It's way over the top for a dedicated mining maching.  It's a great spec for a home PC that you can also mine on.  In a market that's anything like the current situation, it should make you good bitcoins and would be good for leaving turned on 24/7.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:51:13 PM

If you were building a dedicated miner:

Drop the 8Gb of ram.  A single stick of 2Gb will do.

Get the cheapest CPU you can.  Sempron 140 or 145.

Use the cheapest HDD you can find.  Drop the SSD.  You can also use Linux on a flash drive.

I use an Asrock 870 Extreme3 for a dedicated miner.  Cheapest mobo I could find with 2x PCIE 16 slots.

You'd want the fewest components possible in your PC while mining.  Anything not supporting the graphics card directly is wasting power.

With your plans, I'd say you can maybe offset 25% of the PC's price before the cost of electricity makes mining unprofitable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: