Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:52:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer s3 bricked with reset button  (Read 1710 times)
JanezNovak (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:15:55 PM

Hello,

I got an used antminer s3 from ebay and once I managed to get it working, PSU wise, and everything worked like a charm, I wanted to reset all the settings for a fresh start, so I pushed the reset button.. two times, as I missed the first time. But then the led lights started flickering in a weird way, so I thought the reset boot was compromised. And thus I powered it down and tried again, this time holding 3-10 second and all that.

But it looks like it got stuck in the reset limbo, as it never boots back, if I dont shut it down manually. And now it doent show on the network, although the green led flickers and it procedes to start normaly (at least as for the led lights and fans).

My question is: have I bricked it?

Thanks for any answer!
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:23:49 PM

S3 doesn't default to DHCP, as far as I know. 192.168.1.99 possibly? It's been a while. Also if I'm remembering right, the reset button has to be held for a pretty long time to work right.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
JanezNovak (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 12:47:19 PM

holding the reset for a long time didn't help.

I could not reach 192.168.1.99 with a browser or with pinging. But Advanced IP scanner found it. So now its like a dead fish in the pond. I see it, but after poking it with a stick, it doesn't react.

Could it be that the reset erased some part of the firmware?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 01:51:47 PM

Did you power-cycle after holding the reset?

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
JanezNovak (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 02:32:34 PM

Power-cycle? Meaning holding reset, waiting 3 minutes, holding reset again, powering off and on again?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 03:05:34 PM

"Power cycle" = "powering off and on again", so yeah sounds like it.

MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 07:12:38 PM

if still no success, please mail the control PCB (without the data cable) to the following address with $20 money order and your return address.  The replacement control PCB be sent to you

Bitmain Warranty
3700 Quebec Street
Unit 100-239
Denver, Colorado 80207

*Please send it in with a carrier service with a tracking number for your record.  (1st class mail with tracking, or priority mail or UPS/FedEx)

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
ComaWombat

Activity: 89
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 12:31:44 AM

The firmware can be reflashed using a USB TTL programming dongle wired directly to the controller board. There are instructions out there. Of course that method isn't for everybody but the usb dongle costs almost nothing on ebay.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2016, 06:39:08 AM

The firmware can be reflashed using a USB TTL programming dongle wired directly to the controller board. There are instructions out there. Of course that method isn't for everybody but the usb dongle costs almost nothing on ebay.

If you have a lot of S3's and plan on keeping them long term this is a good idea.  But it does take a more technical user then one who gets new flashed board from Bitmain.

I will admit on the one S3 I bricked I just paid for a new one with good flash on it.  They did a good job getting it to me pretty quick.  Just was easiest option at the time for me.
JanezNovak (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 11:03:33 AM

Well, I tried connecting to it with putty and a usb-ttl adapter. I got some data, but after initialization competed text, it started to burn. I melted my adapter.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 12:25:38 PM

Well, I tried connecting to it with putty and a usb-ttl adapter. I got some data, but after initialization competed text, it started to burn. I melted my adapter.

It melted your serial to usb adapter?  I would make sure to check points as that is something I just have not seen on here.   But if it is just the controller you still could contact bitmain support and send it in and have them take a look at it.

But do you have pictures?  If your able to take a picture of what burnt and where it was wired.
JanezNovak (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2016, 05:08:13 PM

The chip on the controller formed a bump on top, all the led lights were ON while it was burning.

The wires were connected: TX (Square), Rx (Middle Round) GND (Outer round).

I managed to get some info from it with putty. But after it read: initialization completed! I could not input anything with the keyboard. Then I went for a powercycle, and at that point I started to smell the burning.

And now the waiting game begins, as I need to order a new controller x)
Jayjay04
Legendary

Activity: 1364

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 01:03:51 PM

I also have a S3 stuck on restart...

Would be great to find some clear instruction on how to connect to the S3 with such a device and the how to reflash the firmware...

▄▄▄
                   █████
             ▄▄▄    ▀▀▀       ▄▄████╕
            █████          ▄▄███████▌
     ▄▄▄     ▀▀▀        ╓████████▀▀
    █████               ██████▀▀       ▄███▄
     ▀▀▀        ▄███▄    ▀▀▀           ▀███▀
                ▀███▀        ▄▄████╕
       ▁▄▄███▄           ▄▄████████▌
   ▁▄▆████████       ▄▄█████████▀▀       ▄███▄
 ▄█████████▀▔    ▄▄█████████▀▀           ▀███▀
▐██████▀▀▔   ,▄█████████▀▀        ▄▄▄
 ▔▀▀▀▔    ▄▄████████▀▀           █████
      ▄▄████████▀▀       ▄▄██▄    ▀▀▀
   ▄█████████▀       ▄▄███████▌       ▄▄▄
  ▐██████▀▀      ▄▄█████████▀▔       █████
   `▀▀▀      ▂▄█████████▀▀    ,▄▄µ    ▀▀▀
          ▂▆████████▀▀    ,▄██████▌
          ██████▀▀     ▄█████████▀
           ▔▀▀        ███████▀"
                      "▀▀▀╙
Hello!
STAKER
.The Next Proof-of-Stake.
KSmart Contract Tokene.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 07:48:37 PM

You know, I got a bunch of S3 around the shop (courtesy of NotFuzzyWarm) that'll probably never get used. Who needs a good controller?

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2533

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
May 09, 2016, 09:10:01 PM
Last edit: May 09, 2016, 09:56:24 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

You know, I got a bunch of S3 around the shop (courtesy of NotFuzzyWarm) that'll probably never get used. Who needs a good controller?
Werks fer me. Some are s3+ as well if it makes any difference. Please do part out hashboard assemblies for replacements as well if you don't need anything off of them. Glad for anything to put them to good use and help folks out . Also hopefully more burger money for ya  as well Cheesy

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
SGTxSTAYxGRIND

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 08:49:36 AM

what are you charging for a board? im assuming +shipping added on to it as well.

Getting it all sorted out, I think.....
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 12:27:07 PM

I keep forgetting to dig stuff out, but I might have some time this afternoon. Had a couple folks asking already. If you want something, PM with an offer.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: