Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:12:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Once per day bumping is not allowed?  (Read 1019 times)
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 03:52:31 AM

The topics are different.

One is a general discussion thread about the coin. For example, recently it included discussion of new features, scalability, etc. It was moved to the Announcements section, which is a bit odd since it was not the thread used to announce the coin, but all of those threads were closed because the developer of the coin wanted to corral all discussion off onto his own forum where he could fully control what was and was not discussed (since he ripped off the Bitcoin code, removing the attributions in violation of its MIT license and lied about it, he has some serious skeletons to hide).

That thread was created as a replacement to have a place to discuss the coin within the Alt forum here, and with that focus on general discussion, being in the Announcements section makes a certain amount of sense. While there may be criticism there, the topic of the thread is not criticism, it is general discussion of the coin.

The second is specifically a warning to call out specific deceptive practices that some members of that coin community engage in on a regular and well-documented basis.

To me those seem quite different topics. Do you disagree?
I agree that putting the warning in the general unmoderated discussion topic might steer it toward discussing the warning or about the self-moderation, rather than about the coin in general. However, I also don't like a situation where unmoderated discussion topics come with a censorship warning topic that links to it (this is pretty much guaranteed because there isn't really a need for a unmoderated topic unless there's censorship going on). So you'd end up with 3 topics on one subject: the original self moderated one, the unmoderated one, and the censorship warning one that links to the unmoderated one), which ends up cluttering up the forum.

This is why I prefer having the warning embedded within the unmoderated topic. As for the any possible confusion about what the topic should be about, you can indicate in the topic body, after the warning that the topic should be general discussion, rather than about the self-moderation or the warning itself.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 04:42:40 AM

I trashed that topic because in my view, the only purpose that the deleted topic serves is to get additional exposure to your unmoderated topic (since all you do is bump and lock the topic ). You could have easily put the complaint about the self-moderated topic in the OP of the unmoderated topic. I don't like setting the precedent of allowing this because then every unmoderated topic would also be allowed an additional topic to advertise it.

Agreed, this is unfair usage of bumping.

I recognize that the difficulty in finding non-self-moderated topics is a flaw of the self-moderation feature, but this isn't a good solution. Maybe the most popular non-self-moderated alternatives to selfmod topics should be listed in the selfmod warning or something.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 26, 2016, 05:16:58 AM

Thank you for the explanations. I will consider the best way to present the information consistent with forum policies.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: