Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:13:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wikimedia Foundation.  (Read 783 times)
World (OP)

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 07:34:21 PM

Why does the Wikimedia Foundation not currently accept Bitcoin?

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 08:01:03 PM

Why does the Wikimedia Foundation not currently accept Bitcoin?

Probably for the same reasons that the EFF stopped accepting it.

Those might be wrong reasons, though.  Several other organisations do accept bitcoin and they have no problem with that.

zxyzxy

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 08:47:32 PM

because nothing is certain with bitcoin? what if the value goes back to 2-3USD?
World (OP)

Activity: 743
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 08:54:34 PM

At this point, only time will tell  Huh

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 08:56:09 PM

Nothing forces them to hold to their bitcoins.  They can convert donations into national currencies as soon as they are received.

Anyway I expressed my opinion about the Wikimedia foundation already.  I believe we should NOT donate anything to them.

Though Wikipedia is a great project (possibly the best ever that came out of the internet), I think the failure and disappearance of the Wikimedia foundation would be a good thing.

imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 12:44:41 AM

Nothing forces them to hold to their bitcoins.  They can convert donations into national currencies as soon as they are received.
Anyway I expressed my opinion about the Wikimedia foundation already.  I believe we should NOT donate anything to them.
Though Wikipedia is a great project (possibly the best ever that came out of the internet), I think the failure and disappearance of the Wikimedia foundation would be a good thing.
+1 in general. Wikimedia became just another corporation, with all the "good and bad" of such.

Wish it were replaced with a distributed platform, which we discussed here and found in development back then...

Here was the Wikimedia response to my donation offer in February 2011:
Thank you for your email. BitCoins are currently in beta and not widely used, so
we're reluctant to accept them at present. However, I've spoken to some of our
fundraising people, and they're looking into the possibility of accepting bitcoins
for next year's donations drive.

Yours sincerely,

"next year's donations drive" is here!

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 07:16:34 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2013, 08:35:52 PM by jjiimm_64

+1 in general. Wikimedia became just another corporation, with all the "good and bad" of such.

Wish it were replaced with a distributed platform, which we discussed here and found in development back then...

Here was the Wikimedia response to my donation offer in February 2011:
Thank you for your email. BitCoins are currently in beta and not widely used, so
we're reluctant to accept them at present. However, I've spoken to some of our
fundraising people, and they're looking into the possibility of accepting bitcoins
for next year's donations drive.

Yours sincerely,

"next year's donations drive" is here!

I have emailed them before asking about bitcoin.. now that reddit, wordpress, etc are taking btc.   today i just sent this:  

Code:
to donate
Still not taking bitcoins for donations?  I can only assume you dont really 'need' the money!

Jim

edit:  couple hours later i received this:

Code:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your email and for your suggestion. We are aware of bitcoin, and we will continue to monitor it with interest. Thanks again for taking the time to email us.

Sincerely,

Michael Beattie
Donor Services Associate
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
https://wikimediafoundation.org
Support us: https://donate.wikimedia.org

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 08:56:50 PM

I wouldn't give them a burnt match now, because i can't believe that we actually have to convince a non-profit to accept something of current and great potential value, which can be used as MONEY!

It's not as if we were trying to get them to accept used underwear! My conscience will be perfectly clear for the rest of my life when i use their services and NEVER give them a unit of value of ANY kind.  Tongue

Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:46:16 PM

Eric Vorhees asked the Wikimedia Foundation about this a few months ago, and their reply to him was "The Foundation does not currently accept Bitcoin or other currencies not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government."

I have one thing to say, and for those that have sensitive eyes and have actual emotions: Please look away now.

FUCK WIKIPEDIA!

Alright, so that wasn't very mature - was it ?  The truth is that they won't bother with bitcoin, and they will use any reason they can come up with. The only way they will start accepting Bitcoins is when it has become relatively mainstream. The problem here is that Wikimedia has grown too big and has forgotten its roots. I will also not hesitate to use it, without offering a dime in return. I have already offered bitcoins, they rejected it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: