Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:01:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: reducing UTXO growth by having all wallets implement spend all option  (Read 1352 times)
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 07:58:54 PM
Last edit: May 17, 2016, 10:44:52 PM by Spaceman_Spiff
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I had a brief thought about UTXO growth and decided to post it here.  If this is the millionth time this is mentioned, or irrelevant/incorrect, I will delete the topic again.

Anyways, the idea is super simple.  Some wallets have a button that automatically calculates the max amount you can send from the wallet (deduces the fee ). I think this is a very useful function that should be implemented by all wallet software (I haven't checked a lot of different software but I don't think this is universally present).  Doing so will reduce the UTXO growth a bit by reducing accumulation of dust wallets that are thrown away or never looked at again (when somebody moves to other wallets/software).  Seems like very low-hanging fruit.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
danda

Activity: 201
Merit: 157

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2016, 12:55:06 AM

OP, are you volunteering to compile a list?   :-)

Copay has a send-all feature now, I'm pretty sure.  dunno about others.

mybitprices.info - wallet auditing   |  hd-wallet-derive - derive keys locally |  hd-wallet-addrs - find used addrs
lightning-nodes - list of LN nodes  |  coinparams - params for 300+ alts  |  jsonrpc-cli - cli jsonrpc client
subaddress-derive-xmr - monero offline wallet tool
amaclin
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 02:37:24 PM

Doing so will reduce the UTXO growth a bit by reducing accumulation of dust wallets
1) Who cares about dust?
2) This reduces anonymity
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 06:16:52 PM

Doing so will reduce the UTXO growth a bit by reducing accumulation of dust wallets
1) Who cares about dust?
2) This reduces anonymity
1) You should if you care about making bitcoin as lean and efficient as possible
2) Why would it reduce anonymity? I am not talking about combining outputs that otherwise wouldn't be combined, I am talking about not leaving behind a few satoshis when you move out of a wallet
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2016, 07:57:04 PM

1) You should if you care about making bitcoin as lean and efficient as possible
Wrong. I shouldn't. Do not speak for anyone. I do not "earn" by hodling.

2) Why would it reduce anonymity? I am not talking about combining outputs that otherwise wouldn't be combined, I am talking about not leaving behind a few satoshis when you move out of a wallet
Why should I spend even a 0.00001% of my live thinking about a values of $0.0001?
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 09:29:09 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 10:08:04 PM by Spaceman_Spiff

Wrong. I shouldn't. Do not speak for anyone. I do not "earn" by hodling.
Please learn to read.

Why should I spend even a 0.00001% of my live thinking about a values of $0.0001?
You are missing the point. It is not about the value of the dust. It is about the size of the UTXO that these unspent outputs increase. And no, you don't need to spend time thinking about it, you are free to do as you want.  Does make me wonder why you spend time posting on this topic since you value your time so much? My topic was addressed to people who want to make bitcoin a (slightly) more efficient system.
amaclin
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 09:36:42 AM

My topic was addressed to people who want to make bitcoin a (slightly) more efficient system.
I am tired to post this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
Nobody wants to make bitcoin "more efficient system". Everyone looks for a profit for himself. Point. No exceptions.
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 09:37:10 AM

I think it would be a nice feature without even considering the UTXO growth.
It happens quite often that i'd like to empty out a wallet, and now i have to calculate how much i can send by taking the total ammount, calculating an appropriate fee and deducting the two. I think it would be handy to have such a feature in a wallet.

That being said, i do think bitcoin is about freedom. It's up to the wallet developers to either introduce such a feature or not... It's up to the user to use a certain wallet, or a different one Smiley
Domrada

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 04:13:58 PM

+1 I would use this feature. I care about bitcoin hygiene and hygiene of the UTXO set.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 04:28:52 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2016, 10:07:05 PM by Spaceman_Spiff

My topic was addressed to people who want to make bitcoin a (slightly) more efficient system.
I am tired to post this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
Nobody wants to make bitcoin "more efficient system". Everyone looks for a profit for himself. Point. No exceptions.

I know about tragedy of the Commons. It doesn't apply here because leaving dust in old wallets does not provide any advantage to a user.  Yes people mostly act in their own self-interest, but they are capable of making agreements when it is mutually beneficial.  Last time I replied to you by the way, go waste someone else's time.
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 04:36:21 PM

I think it would be a nice feature without even considering the UTXO growth.
It happens quite often that i'd like to empty out a wallet, and now i have to calculate how much i can send by taking the total ammount, calculating an appropriate fee and deducting the two. I think it would be handy to have such a feature in a wallet.

That being said, i do think bitcoin is about freedom. It's up to the wallet developers to either introduce such a feature or not... It's up to the user to use a certain wallet, or a different one Smiley
Exactly, I have been in this situation several times.  Of course every wallet developer is free to do as he pleases, I am just trying to raise awareness that besides being a convenient feature, it improves bitcoin hygiene.  And this has got to be the simplest feature ever to code  Smiley . Just need to provide a bit of space in the UI .  Of course making the calculation yourself isn't super hard, but a slight increase in convenience is important for user experience (and changes behavior).
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 11:26:09 PM

It doesn't apply here because leaving dust in old wallets does not provide any advantage to a user.

Sure it does. By leaving it in place you preserve any potential anonymity. By always combining all your outputs you are linking addresses that don't need to be linked.

Buy & Hold
Spaceman_Spiff (OP)
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 01:36:33 AM

It doesn't apply here because leaving dust in old wallets does not provide any advantage to a user.

Sure it does. By leaving it in place you preserve any potential anonymity. By always combining all your outputs you are linking addresses that don't need to be linked.
Who says you always need to combine your outputs, I am talking about the situation where you want to cash out all of your outputs of a certain wallet anyway.  Leaving a few satoshis behind in that situation doesn't accomplish anything.
belcher

Activity: 261
Merit: 518

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 12:35:32 PM

Electrum can do this by you typing ! into the amount field.

Not many people know about it though, maybe a button or help box would be useful.

1HZBd22eQLgbwxjwbCtSjhoPFWxQg8rBd9
JoinMarket - CoinJoin that people will actually use.
PGP fingerprint: 0A8B 038F 5E10 CC27 89BF CFFF EF73 4EA6 77F3 1129
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: