Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:07:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is there a penny bot?  (Read 2735 times)
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 01:08:56 PM

it would still be possibly or even easier to make fake depth

There is a robot that executes very small trades apparently to astroturf the mtgox last trade price.  My question is why would someone spend perfectly good money to do that?

I was thinking there would be a service by now that one could pay and it would attempt to raise the best bid.   Maybe someone has done this and that's what you are seeing.

I get your point, but this penny bot looks to me like it's making the last trade look as low as possible.  I just can't think of a situation where this would be good for someone. After some thought, maybe this is Satoshi Dice keeping their BTC exposure to a minimum in real time.  If so, pretty cool demonstration of the technology.
The lesson is - don't use last price. It is a bad indicator of the current value for several reasons, this being one of them.

Much better is to take some value (e.g. 100 BTC), see how much it costs to buy 100 BTC with the current depth table, how much is obtained by selling 100 BTC, and take the average.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 11:30:48 AM

I guess the penny bot is run by some merchant that wants to increase the $$ he gets by devaluing the ɃɃ's last trade by a small amount. Maybe several people trying to front-run the very predictable penny bot can close the spread a bit. For sure these front-runners would have an incentive to do so. No need for regulations from MtGox.

There is a robot that executes very small trades apparently to astroturf the mtgox last trade price.  My question is why would someone spend perfectly good money to do that?

I was thinking there would be a service by now that one could pay and it would attempt to raise the best bid.   Maybe someone has done this and that's what you are seeing.

I get your point, but this penny bot looks to me like it's making the last trade look as low as possible.  I just can't think of a situation where this would be good for someone. After some thought, maybe this is Satoshi Dice keeping their BTC exposure to a minimum in real time.  If so, pretty cool demonstration of the technology.
The lesson is - don't use last price. It is a bad indicator of the current value for several reasons, this being one of them.

Much better is to take some value (e.g. 100 BTC), see how much it costs to buy 100 BTC with the current depth table, how much is obtained by selling 100 BTC, and take the average.

Oh, how I wish this was used more.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 11:43:00 AM

Heres the behavior of the penny bot(s):

The "buy a penny" bot looks turned off

Am I right in reading that this bot made you 200Btc ? nice

I'm so tempted to try and write a bot but I know it will end in tears as im not great with the old programming and it would have to compete.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: