Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:10:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What I Learned from Building 3x5850 Rigs; May 2011  (Read 8707 times)
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 10:51:42 PM

I'm still playing with building myself, but you certainly make a good point about wire shelves. I'm looking at 'tech benches' at the moment, seems a nice compromise between case and no-case (I don't feel entirely comfortable having a board not securely anchored, but I'm kind of a huge wuss).

P.S. I never said thanks for this article, I built most of my stuff before I read this but it was still a good read nonetheless Smiley

with the horrible "push-clip" securing style
Oh man, I forgot about those. Yeah, they're terrible! I took them off (which was easy).

And yes, you're right about the case connectors. Those wouldn't fit a long video card. If you don't have a case, though, you don't need those connectors, so not a huge deal.

But...
My favorite board thus far is the MSI 890FX-GD70
Yeah, that's a nice board  Cool. It's a shame the last slot is unusable if you have a case.

But, as I said, I probably wouldn't use a case again. I'd just buy a wire shelf from the hardware store, cardboard, and twisty ties. Heck, you could even use extenders and dangle video cards from an upper shelf with the mobo below it Tongue
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 02:14:32 AM

Hi fpgaminer. I hope you don't mind me linking my tread to yours. I'm consolidating build discussions Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: