Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:50:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity addresses: how to get them?  (Read 630 times)
caona (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:06:11 PM

How does one generate vanity addresses on bitcoin and alts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amarite1

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:08:27 PM

You can use vanitygen (link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25804.0). If you don't want to do it yourself, you can get others to generate the keys for you (just be aware that some people are scammers). I would be happy to make you one, PM me if you are interested.
caona (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:30:31 PM

You can use vanitygen (link: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25804.0). If you don't want to do it yourself, you can get others to generate the keys for you (just be aware that some people are scammers). I would be happy to make you one, PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the link!
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 09:33:23 PM

And of course I have lots of them for sale with very nicely reserved firstbits.

But yeah, vanity gen is the shit. https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen

If you have a good graphics card you can generate them even faster on that.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
Veritas

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 09:51:25 PM

Does generating an address reserve that address on the network then? Or are you just mathematically validating said address?

Once you have a validated unused address, How does one then get it into your wallet ?
KrLos

Activity: 768
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:03:51 PM

thanks, look at mine! xD
Amarite1

Activity: 17

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:08:23 PM

Does generating an address reserve that address on the network then? Or are you just mathematically validating said address?

Once you have a validated unused address, How does one then get it into your wallet ?
It doesn't reserve it in the networks (at least I'm NEARLY sure it doesn't) until you add it to your wallet. What wallet are you using to store your addresses? If you are using a web-based wallet, it varies, but for Bitcoin-QT (the desktop client), go here for instructions: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 10:28:07 PM

You never reserve an address  Wink

sal002

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 10:36:03 PM

Or put up a bid at the pool - http://vanitypool.appspot.com/
Veritas

Activity: 10

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 10:58:24 PM

It doesn't reserve it in the networks (at least I'm NEARLY sure it doesn't) until you add it to your wallet. What wallet are you using to store your addresses? If you are using a web-based wallet, it varies, but for Bitcoin-QT (the desktop client), go here for instructions: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/How_to_import_private_keys

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking about writing a program to generate valid addresses. Just for educational purposes, I dont think i would get into the keys part of it.
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:41:30 PM

You can't use it until you import it into your wallet.

However, you don't "reserve it" until you have made a transaction to it in the block chain, then the potential firstbits would be reserved. Firstbits are not an official Bitcoin "thing" but places like blockchain.info and firstbits you can look up an address with the first part of the vanity if your address is the first one used in the blockchain.

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
WinVery.com

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 06:32:38 PM

Wasn't aware of vanity addresses, thanks for the link
graghav2010

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:29:02 PM

Vanity address is kinda cool, and you could show your richness if you got a long one lol
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:31:50 PM

Vanity address is kinda cool, and you could show your richness if you got a long one lol

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90982.0

I own the current longest prefix of numbers only and lower case only.

1odfsrirfbxtwjoviseqdnuixwvhsnPbJ       longest lowercase prefix
19279281759997344NJ2KMcdRZNVT5rHhq      longest digit-only prefix

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: