Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:28:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Man has heatstroke because of too many mining machines -- WTF?  (Read 3677 times)
innervisi0nn (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Tutorials, guidelines, optimizations for all!

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:18:05 PM

http://buttcoin.tumblr.com/post/6353795002

Whoa..check that out!

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BiggieJohn

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:24:07 PM

must be one of those people that will sleep through anything.

I wake up if the temp in my bedroom goes up even 5 deg

PMC-1A11eCF2Rzqzy4PCrV9jabYv1fvYfmN2yc
Doge-D8KLtphcSB3qAkfjBdvceEMj9TJUiJrFd3
darkpandora

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:24:21 PM

lol
it does look fake. but funny too Smiley
i read something like that a while ago about a kid died while gaming. turns out it was fake.

K U R D I  S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:27:44 PM

isn't buttcoin a satirical site on all things bitcoin.  doubt it's true.
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:30:07 PM

He said later the brain damage was before mining, so it same as with mobile phones - unconfirmed that over-mining can damage your brains Smiley.
innervisi0nn (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:30:47 PM

isn't buttcoin a satirical site on all things bitcoin.  doubt it's true.

No idea, I found it while searching Google for Bitcoin disasters LOL.
Scary thought tho!

innervisi0nn (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:31:21 PM

He said later the brain damage was before mining, so it same as with mobile phones - unconfirmed that over-mining can damage your brains Smiley.

Great, were going to have some crazy dude come up with some analysis stating mining reduces sperm count.

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:42:34 PM

Great, were going to have some crazy dude come up with some analysis stating mining reduces sperm count.
It can't be any safer than living under high tension wires!

darkpandora

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:48:41 PM

It can't be any safer than living under high tension wires!

its pretty safe if u buy PSU from the store, but someone here on this forum was asking to build a PSU, now THAT is dangerous hehe

K U R D I  S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
disend

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:50:09 PM

the brain damage probably wasn't a new one
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:56:19 PM

i bet this guy is trolling. People sleep at NIGHT. it's COLD at NIGHT. how can temperatures RISE when it's the COLDEST part of the day?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
innervisi0nn (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:59:11 PM

i bet this guy is trolling. People sleep at NIGHT. it's COLD at NIGHT. how can temperatures RISE when it's the COLDEST part of the day?

Depends on where you live pal...try to sleep where im at Wink ahh..goodluck!

@PSU comment..LOL search the forums, some dude DID want to build his own PSU unit..goodluck

darkpandora

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:09:18 AM

Depends on where you live pal...try to sleep where im at Wink ahh..goodluck!

@PSU comment..LOL search the forums, some dude DID want to build his own PSU unit..goodluck

true LMAO. building PSU is way more dangerous then having 4 machines with overclocked 5850s lol

K U R D I  S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:17:01 AM

Let's assume each machine had 2 cards. My dual 5830 rigs have similar power consumption to what he's claiming in the article and they run ~400W. 400 watts of consumed energy releases about 1400 BTU/h of heat each, times 4 machines is roughly 5600 BTU/h. For about $150 one can obtain a small portable air conditioning unit that can take about 7000 BTU/h of heat and move it outside through a vent that attaches to your window. To run one of these at a rate capable of removing 5600 BTU/h would require approximately 662 watts of electricity. Where I live (Vegas) that would cost about $54 per month.

In short: even IF this is true (which I highly doubt) our "victim" was sitting on about $2,560 worth of hardware that is costing him $130/month in electricity to run and because he was unwilling to spend $150 more on hardware and $54 more per month on electricity he purportedly has brain damage.

Now for why I believe exactly none of this...

In order to sustain heat stroke and brain damage you must reach a core temperature of approximately 105F. To reach such temperatures you have to either be under extreme duress, which you're probably not while sleeping, or exposed to ambient temperatures in excess of 120F.

Now I'm in a unique situation to talk about air temperature because I live in Vegas where my air conditioning was already struggling with the heat so I know exactly what four overclocked mining rigs do to the temperature in an un-airconditioned enclosed space.

Regardless of how low it was set, my air conditioner could barely maintain 76F in my bedroom. Adding four 2x5830 rigs to that room raised the ambient temperature to an uncomfortable 88F until I managed to get a portable AC unit to undo the 5,000+ BTU/h of heat I was adding to the room. I recognize that the 5850s noted in the story consume perhaps 50W more than my 5830s but even that can account for no more than another 200 BTU/h, a 28% increase - still nowhere near the heat necessary to create heat-stroke conditions inside a bedroom. Given that Vegas is not too far from Death Valley it's a reasonable guess that the air outside my door is at least as hot as, if not hotter than, wherever this person purportedly hails from.

Also, yes I believe that buttcoin is in fact a satire site.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:19:03 AM

Oh and operating in 120F ambient temperatures, there's no possible way multi-card 5850 rigs wouldn't get so hot as to eat themselves (or at least trigger whatever heat event auto-shutdown measures are in place) so even if it got hot enough to cause heat stroke, it wouldn't stay that hot long enough to cause serious injury or brain damage; the heat sources would kill themselves and the temperature would drop.
innervisi0nn (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:30:06 AM

vegas = strippers = do they take BTC? Wink

doomy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:31:06 AM

He should have set up his server farm in the... bathroom.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: