Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:54:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Gox / CoinLab Integration and Transition FAQ  (Read 20797 times)
starsoccer9
Legendary

Activity: 1630
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 02:05:24 AM

Id like to know how this will affect US UNVERIFIED USERS?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
contactluis

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 06:37:43 AM

I haven't heard a word on the fees that CoinLab will charge. I'm hoping it will be the same.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:19:39 PM

I have a question.

What the fuck is it and how long we (traders with good liquidity and own professional tools) will tolerate zero-give-a-fuck behavior from Mt.Gox side?

Thanks you.

Until they have a proper competitor.

Signature space available for rent.
davidspitzer

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:42:43 PM

I thought all the users were supposed to be over at coinlab by the 22nd

Live -- March 22
We'll have everyone moved over by March 22!

Did I miss something, misinterpret what they were saying or are they just behind?
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 08:11:34 PM

Yeah, I'm curious myself.. 

I haven't had to read through and (dis)agree to any new ToS, so right now I'm still trading through Gox.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:12:57 PM

Live -- March 22

Did I miss something, misinterpret what they were saying or are they just behind?

They pushed it back "a couple weeks" on March 21.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:24:08 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 01:34:02 PM by ArticMine

I posted a serious of questions regarding the impact of the MTGox / Coinlab integration and transition on Canadians over three weeks ago. MTGox for their part were quick and efficient to provide a response, in spite of the fact that they are swamped with new account openings and the corresponding AML/KYC. Coinlab on the other hand has not provided any kind of response, not even an acknowledgement that they will respond.

I will let the reader be the judge.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
davidspitzer

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 08:56:15 PM

Live -- March 22

What is the new go-live date?  - the coinlab website still says 22 march
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 09:10:01 PM

Hey Coinlab,

I scanned your site again for info on how you are going to be doing proof if identity.  Saw nothing.  I already have an miiCard account and I want to know if that will suffice.

I want to have some BTC with a reliable no-bullshit exchange primed to sell if an opportunity comes along.  I'll go with either you guys or Tradehill depending on who get's their act together first.

What I won't be doing is sending anyone either BTC or USD if they are going to hold it hostage until I provide passport scans and what-not.  I want unambiguous information on exactly what your policy is here.  To me USD and BTC are replaceable.  The loss of my identity is not.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
nikkisnowe

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:32:11 PM

Peter,
Could you please explain what the F@#$ is going on with MtGox?!?!?
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:40:17 PM

Live -- March 22

Source?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:34:13 PM

Live -- March 22

Source?

http://coinlab.com/status
davidspitzer

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:03:29 PM

Live -- March 22

Source?

http://coinlab.com/status

http://coinlab.com/status is a bit stale - March 21, 2013 was the last update -I was kind of hoping that coinlab would be humming along  by now. It would be nice to hear something from the coinlab people on this especially given the challenges over at mtgox today- I sent coinlab an email about two weeks ago that went unanswered.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:39:24 PM

http://coinlab.com/status is a bit stale - March 21, 2013 was the last update -I was kind of hoping that coinlab would be humming along  by now. It would be nice to hear something from the coinlab people on this especially given the challenges over at mtgox today- I sent coinlab an email about two weeks ago that went unanswered.

I assumed that Coinlab got the class of customers they wish to provide service to and are happily chipping along.  Same with Tradehill.

I figure that some months ago Bitcoin markets generally move into the same mode as Wall Street.  That is, where a bulk of the participants are getting ass-raped without even knowing it and the real action happens outside of the channels they see.  Unlike in traditional markets where there is some token body who is, in theory, responsible for protecting the participants there is no such thing for Bitcoin at all.  Also unlike the traditional markets, the 'normal' participants still have plenty of wealth though.  The markets will, I'm confident, evolve to be highly efficient as stripping this.  When that task is done they can move on to mostly playing amongst themselves.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
davidspitzer

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:45:57 PM

I assumed that Coinlab got the class of customers they wish to provide service to and are happily chipping along.  Same with Tradehill.

I figure that some months ago Bitcoin markets generally move into the same mode as Wall Street.  That is, where a bulk of the participants are getting ass-raped without even knowing it and the real action happens outside of the channels they see.  Unlike in traditional markets where there is some token body who is, in theory, responsible for protecting the participants there is no such thing for Bitcoin at all.  Also unlike the traditional markets, the 'normal' participants still have plenty of wealth though.  The markets will, I'm confident, evolve to be highly efficient as stripping this.  When that task is done they can move on to mostly playing amongst themselves.

My understanding is that CoinLab was to transition ALL US and Canadian business through them (originally by the 31st of March 2013). In fact they indicated that if you were in the US or Canada that MTgox would no longer service you. Has there been a change of plan and if so what source did you get that information from?
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:54:07 PM

My understanding is that CoinLab was to transition ALL US and Canadian business through them (originally by the 31st of March 2013). In fact they indicated that if you were in the US or Canada that MTgox would no longer service you. Has there been a change of plan and if so what source did you get that information from?

I pulled the info straight out of my ass.  That's why I used terms like 'I figure' and 'I assume'.

Not that some of my conjectures don't have some basis in observation however.  For a period of time I had hoped to make use of either Tradehill or Coinlab's services so I've been watching for updates and noticing how extraordinarily silent they've become.  At least in terms of threads on this forum, responsiveness to communication attempts by us plebs,  and updates on their respective web sites.

It is especially interesting to note that in addition to being the CEO of this organization, ~vess is also the chairperson of the Bitcoin Foundation.  Or at least has a strong leadership role in each.  One has to conjecture that their interests are aligned to some extent.

davidspitzer

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:01:53 AM

I pulled the info straight out of my ass.  That's why I used terms like 'I figure' and 'I assume'.

Not that some of my conjectures don't have some basis in observation however.  For a period of time I had hoped to make use of either Tradehill or Coinlab's services so I've been watching for updates and noticing how extraordinarily silent they've become.  At least in terms of threads on this forum, responsiveness to communication attempts by us plebs,  and updates on their respective web sites.

It is especially interesting to note that in addition to being the CEO of this organization, ~vess is also the chairperson of the Bitcoin Foundation.  Or at least has a strong leadership role in each.  One has to conjecture that their interests are aligned to some extent.

Interesting  - It will be interesting to see what their position is once they do send out the next communication
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:07:02 AM

Hi guys,

I'll update the head with salient bullets and we'll try and stay on top of questions as they come up in the thread as well.

Let me start about by saying some bloggers have one thing really wrong so far, I seriously respect Gox' hard work on security and uptime and anti-fraud. Most of you have no idea how hard this is, and how well Gox does. The kind of attacks they withstand, social engineering, technical, financial, legal are non-trivial. I don't expect that CoinLab can or should be set up to duplicate that effort; we wanted to team up together because we can offer something that I think will turn that baseline into lots of value for our whole community.

How Will It Work? I've gotten a bunch of questions about this -- APIs, deposit mechanisms, web interface, etc.

In brief, on March 22, nothing about your interactions will change. You'll log in to Gox, do your trading, and go home. You might notice some rebranding on the website. You'll see a different wire-to address for instructions.

Your USD will be in the states at that point, and you'll be able to send to our SVB account for deposits. More about the bitcoins below.

We'll also be using something like trade.coinlab.com as the mtgox interface, at launch. We will be rolling out more features on our site, (beta.trade.coinlab.com?) incrementally and aim at a nicely UI-designed easy to work with site. To do that we'll be instrumenting the Gox site at some point, and figuring out how you all use it. Right now our analytics are fine from a marketing point of view, but we need to get better at knowing how you all use the site, and how we can make it better.

I don't trust CoinLab's Bitcoin or Web Security One thing we're exploring right now internally is leaving the Bitcoins with Gox at launch, and moving them over once we're sure we've got a battle-hardened high transaction volume system in place. Gox is happy either way, so I'm interested in feedback on this. We have a highly secure (I think best in class) storage system we're about to roll out, but it trades rapid response for security, and that won't work for all Gox customers, for sure.

As Mark and others at Gox know, we have a lot of respect for the work they've done. I have no intention of hurting customers by yanking that work; instead, we want to layer on top of it.

Deposit Timeliness
This should improve, if your customer profile is low risk. At the very least, you will be able to deposit at a US bank, rather than wire to Japan. We're doing our first run-throughs of the system at SVB next week with a few early adopters, and that will lead to more details as to what you can expect, but we did take a deposit today and cleared it onto the trading account in 30 minutes, so that's nice!

Often customers who complain on bitcointalk about delays have triggered some risk system at Gox; I can't go into detail, but let me just say, there are many, many bad folks who want to use the exchange. Some of them happily take their complaints here without explaining that they are using, say, fake documents, or are lying about one thing or another.

I credit Gox with simultaneously wading through these folks and trying to give legit customers a good experience, especially because it can hurt reputation to see these folks in the forums, and of course, given the nature of risk management systems, Gox cannot explain publicly why Jane identity thief in Serbia is not allowed to use the system.

I'm hoping we'll be able to communicate better with new customers and existing ones to sort of settle people down if they're freaking out, and meantime get legit and longtime customer transactions through at high speed; I know that will help. It's tough to watch the price move and be delayed, and have it be working hours in the states, and midnight in Japan.

How will this transition effect withdrawal limits?
Good question. At launch it won't effect withdrawal limits. The history of withdrawal limits has to do with some FinCEN rules about transaction size. We've registered with FinCEN as a seller of prepaid access, they do not distinguish MSBs that sell prepaid access by transaction size, so I would hope we'll see our way clear to increasing these limits or doing away with them.

There's also a risk-mitigation factor -- we'll probably always have a human look at large transactions going out. Think of the different attacks over the last few years and how many would have had little impact if there were systems to block large wallet transfers.

How will this transition effect the verification process?
My hope is that it will drastically improve the process in terms of simplicity, ease of understanding, communication about the process and shortening of wait times. We've been batting around figuring out how to just do it on a video camera live, how awesome would that be?

How will this transition effect users [that] have already gone through the verification process with MtGox?
We are still spot auditing Gox' AML documents to make sure they are up to our promised standards. If they are, (and I have no indication they are anything but excellent), I would expect that users would stay at the same verification level you have now. TL;DR: Hopefully, once is enough. Smiley

Will this transition remove the ability to use Dwolla for withdrawals?
No. It is possible we'll have a small delay while we make sure we're comfortable with the Dwolla withdrawal API, we're still talking to the Dwolla folks right now. That said, we want to support Dwolla, and Dwolla wants to work with us, so I don't anticipate major changes. I agree that once you've got the accounts set up, the fees at Dwolla are rocking.

Is Peter Vessenes twitchy and high energy?
I think so. I'll ask employees for comments. Update General Response is "yes."

Did Mark sell my personal data to CoinLab without my $#!$ permission?
Quoting Mark: "MtGox did not sell users identities, and acted in the best interest of its users to ensure CoinLab had no access to said data.  None of users private information will be shared with CoinLab until the user accepts CoinLab's ToS on the site. If you choose to never accept CoinLab's ToS, then your data will never be shared with CoinLab."

Will My History be available post transition?
Yes, you'll still be able to log in and see all the same data.

More Coming
Our folks will start slotting in questions here, and I'll respond throughout the day; from here on out, I will try to not respond to other threads about the transition, and just keep everything here, so post away.
Thanks for all the support so far! We're all really excited.

Peter Vessenes
CEO, CoinLab

Quoting this ample sack of shit for later reference. Who knows when somebody starts a forum scrub.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
davidspitzer

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:25:07 AM

I do not know a lot about Peter Vessenes - I take it not everyone is thrilled or perhaps I misinterpreted... -  His linked in profile is interesting:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/vessenes

other than that I dont know a whole lot about him

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 12:56:09 AM

I do not know a lot about Peter Vessenes - I take it not everyone is thrilled or perhaps I misinterpreted... -  His linked in profile is interesting:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/vessenes

other than that I dont know a whole lot about him

Personally I'm pretty ambivalent about the guy.

My hopes for Bitcoin to be 'revolutionary' in a healthy way were at one time significant albeit always guarded.  Now to me more and more "it's about the money, Lebowski."

The:

- Mt. Gox owning the pleb's exchange (at least), the bitcointalk.org forum, a good portion of the Bitcoin Foundation, etc
 - The likelihood of mining effort being significantly monopolized when modern ASIC's come out
 - The prospect of full nodes being as rare as hens teeth when system growth can be unleashed
 - Various other things which I won't mention

all have worked to quash my own more altruistic hopes for the solution.  But the efforts and bodies which have evolved are producing a solution trajectory such that the actual value of my own BTC stash will be maximized.  I cannot complain about that, and can honestly thank Mr. Vessenes for the role he has played and is playing in the ecosystem.  Or that I suspect him of at least.  If I fail to capitalize effectively that will be my bad.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: