Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:14:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DAO Ethereum What Happened Hacked  (Read 544 times)
Someone47 (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 11:09:36 AM

What happened with the DAO and   Ethereum?

I just read shocker :

The DAO is Dead, Devs Say.

http://www.coindesk.com/the-dao-is-closing-down

Stephan Tual (founder) said:

Quote from: TUAL
"The DAO is definitely going to close. The money moved to a child DAO is going to be put back into the contract, and it [will] only have one function, withdraw."

I need TL;DR with maximum 10 words sentence please.

I understand DAO before scandal not either. Ethereum not either. What is them?

Need explanation

Thanks you.

سلام

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:11:53 PM

It's very easy. Someone very smart, found a way to LEGALLY exploit a smart contract. He didn't add code, didn't twist anything, just found a weakness on the code itself. Since the idea of DAO is "proceed as coded", he legally deserves all the stolen money.
The fact that Vitalik is trying to rollback to steal the money from the hacker is, in my book, a death sentence for ETH. I would move ALL of my funds to BTC if you haven't already. The thing is, it seems Vitalik froze ETH market as well.. which is the ultimate fuckup.
kingorbust

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:17:26 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2016, 03:29:50 PM by kingorbust

Why didnt hacker just take far less and get away with it? For example just ETH worth million $ or so. They would not shut down the DAO, nothing would happen,he would get rich. Now he lost everything.

This makes me think it could be something planed. To bring down dao, hurt ETH or maybe even inside job or whatever.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Juliamit

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:24:22 PM

Why didnt hacker just take far less and get away with it? For example just ETH worth million $ or so. They would not shut down the DAO, nothing would happen. Now he lost everything.

This makes me think it could be something planed. To bring down dao, hurt ETH or maybe even inside job or whatever.

That could be true. He could just take less than 1 million and sell short in the market to make profit and then then return the stolen 1 milllion to the DAO.
mining1

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:25:06 PM

Dao devs screwed up and the hacker exploited it to steal the money. But he cannot withdraw for 4 weeks and eth team will assist dao devs to prevent this steal. Short term will be bad for eth because of the panic,trolls and fud, but mid and long term will be much better. Atm the day traders use this oportunity to increase their eth bags , sell high and buy low thanks to fud and trolls.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: