Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:21:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitStarter - Kick start your project [In Development]  (Read 1284 times)
astonix (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:47:54 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2011, 10:52:26 PM by astonix

This project is still in development and is seeking your thoughts, opinions, donations and more.
[/b][/color]

Name: BitStarter
Website: http://www.socialcoders.net/ (Temporary domain and host)

Aim: BitStarter is much like the already popular website, Kickstarter. It aims to help new projects, websites, games and more get started with the help of bitcoin funding from those who want to see it get done.

How it would work: Once someone has made a project, giving its name, a thumbnail, description, donation total and in what time, it will be listed on the website. Those looking to donate to the projects can then find it. If they like the project, they can pledge money towards it. This will require them sending money to a BitStarter bitcoin address where it's held until the project receives its goal. Once it does, the money is sent to the project owner. If the project goal isn't reached, it will be sent back to the users who pledged it - All users will need a receiving address in their profile in case of this.

ETA: I hope to have an alpha version usable by end of next week at the latest.

Risks: The risk here is users will create projects, take the money and then either never follow on with the project, or start it but never finish it. This needs to be tackled in some way, such as releasing money to the project owner over time in return for some completion of the project. With a lot of projects, this would require a lot of time to go through all the projects checking they're being completed though.

Another option is to have the project owner fill out fields specifying what he needs money for, and how much is needed for it e.g.

Domain for a year - 1 BTC
Website for a year - 5 BTC
Bringing on helpers - 10 BTC
Donation - Optional

That way, when people go to the project, then can just donate to a specific bit of the project and it is easier to track the project owner is still working on the project.

----------------------------------------

So, as you can see from the temporary website, I have designed the front page. It would need re-doing once I got the system designed as the projects listed aren't currently being brought up from a database.

I am looking for some help. I am a PHP coder, but I've never had to work on Bitcoin projects before so someone who has and can deal with the sending, receiving of bitcoin would be helpful. My design skills are also lacking, so I'm looking for some better designers. I could also use some donation money myself to buy a proper hosting and domain. Donations are always helpful and motivating too. A security expert is also needed as my level of PHP security wont stop the most dedicated hackers.

Lastly, what are your thoughts? Is there anything I should add, change etc. I haven't had time to check the forum properly for anything else like this, so let me know if there is.

Donate: You can help get this up quicker by donating. 192oqT3u8uFgH9aBxTKfUoAuvhektTa8BG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
astonix (OP)

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:27:37 PM

Just thought I'd update this and let everyone know what I got left to do.

To do: Search feature, finish individual project pages, finish account pages, finish project searching, find the best way to receive and send bitcoins.

I got a lot done quicker than I expected so I should have a beta ready sooner than expected. I'm still looking for donations in order to buy a web server and domain. To make the website self-sufficient, I'm also going to have one advert on the website. The advert space will be up for sale and will be priced in BTC. Looking at writing a script so the highest bidder gets his image displayed as soon as BTC has been sent and confirmed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: