Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:45:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: so mt.gox volume is at 12.8k at the moment  (Read 2173 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 03:49:14 AM

The counter isn't reset right? it's just a past 24 hour average?

is the volume meaningful to anyone?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 03:54:58 AM

It is very low.  Then again weekends are always low but this is low for a low weekend.
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:00:23 AM

I know it's a cliché but the first thing that springs to mind is "calm before the storm". It'll change dramatically after the weekend no doubt.

Edit: And this guy has been uncannily accurate....

Its been a good week. More excitement to come soon.

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:21:32 AM

How I miss the days before the rally when the price could stay stable for months, those were calm, good days....

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:27:08 AM

How I miss the days before the rally when the price could stay stable for months, those were calm, good days....

Never knew those days. Acquired my first bitcoins a couple of weeks before the Pirate Pump 'n' Dump. Volatility is the norm from all I've seen  Smiley

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:33:03 AM

Never knew those days. Acquired my first bitcoins a couple of weeks before the Pirate Pump 'n' Dump. Volatility is the norm from all I've seen  Smiley

I wish all people were like you. And that's why I want the price to at least climb a bit more, to more than $40, before it takes a nap. Lots and lots of people are putting too much weight on the 2011 high of $32, they use it as a reference point to judge if the price is too high, if the market will get more volatile or not, etc, If we stay here for too long, they may not just be able to get rid of that piece of disaster memory, while over a long time, this particular price point should be considered meaningless and be forgotten.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Digigami

Activity: 462

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:41:07 AM

Never knew those days. Acquired my first bitcoins a couple of weeks before the Pirate Pump 'n' Dump. Volatility is the norm from all I've seen  Smiley

I wish all people were like you. And that's why I want the price to at least climb a bit more, to more than $40, before it takes a nap. Lots and lots of people are putting too much weight on the 2011 high of $32, they use it as a reference point to judge if the price is too high, if the market will get more volatile or not, etc, If we stay here for too long, they may not just be able to get rid of that piece of disaster memory, while over a long time, this particular price point should be considered meaningless and be forgotten.

I tend to agree. $32 just happened to be where that over excited speculative bubble topped. I think we can all agree, that $32 at that time was overvalued. Of course, we all saw the correction. This time, now at the same price levels and two years later I'm not so fast to call it overvalued. It may still be, it may not be. We got to this price over a longer period and with higher volume, so I think the price discovery mechanics at work here are far closer to genuine than before. At the very least, if we are significantly overvalued again this time, the correction I would think does not drop as far. Panic and fear can easily change that, but fundamentally I think we are on much more solid footing and there is a stronger rational for these prices.
poly

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:10:01 AM

Never knew those days. Acquired my first bitcoins a couple of weeks before the Pirate Pump 'n' Dump. Volatility is the norm from all I've seen  Smiley
I acquired my first bitcoins through mining back in 2010. I wasn't really involved or active in bitcoin at that time until now, but it's impressive that bitcoin has being able to recover from it's all time high and far exceed that, while all the critics were calling bitcoin a scam or worthless.

poly | My Tip Jar
nwbitcoin

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 11:29:56 AM

But this time, its different!

Those words haunt thousands of people who just couldn't see a bubble that was right in front of their faces!

The volume of bitcoin transactions is exceptionally low because EVERYONE is speculating, they are not spending.  This can only end badly! ;(

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
poly

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:31:34 AM

Those words haunt thousands of people who just couldn't see a bubble that was right in front of their faces!

The volume of bitcoin transactions is exceptionally low because EVERYONE is speculating, they are not spending.  This can only end badly! ;(

Please stop making up assumptions that can't be proven. A lot of people are spending their bitcoins, but it's not a good idea to look at it on a weekend.

poly | My Tip Jar
nwbitcoin

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 11:42:29 AM

The volume of bitcoin transactions is exceptionally low because EVERYONE is speculating, they are not spending.  This can only end badly! ;(

Please stop making up assumptions that can't be proven. A lot of people are spending their bitcoins, but it's not a good idea to look at it on a weekend.

I am assuming on based on my own experience.

If I buy something using bitcoin, at current exchange rates, between the time I buy it and it being delivered, the item is going to become more expensive compared to buying it in my local currency.
Hence, it makes no sense to buy using Bitcoin if I have the choice!

That is a speculation dilemma in a nutshell

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Gatekeeper

Activity: 358

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:57:10 PM

what a load of nonsense ^^

(1470) <KLYE> But I was far too drunk to fuck a midget
(1470) <KLYE> I will fuck a chicken for 250 btc
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

We're going to be battling deflation myths all the way up, may as well get used to it.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:39:50 PM

I am assuming on based on my own experience.

If I buy something using bitcoin, at current exchange rates, between the time I buy it and it being delivered, the item is going to become more expensive compared to buying it in my local currency.
Hence, it makes no sense to buy using Bitcoin if I have the choice!

That is a speculation dilemma in a nutshell

In essence, this is correct. And it is exactly the reason that there is a bias to liquidate inflating fiat and hold deflating bitcoin. Eventually bitcoiners will need to start using them and then they will. But why use them now in the face of a massive global currency war pushing value to the bottom?

Bitcoin is both a way to exchange value AND a store of value. Just because the bias at one time in its life pushes it towards one side of its functionality does not mean that it will always be that way.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:27:07 PM

People are just storing their gold. They're not buying things with it. Why is gold valued as it is?

People are also just holding stocks that don't produce dividends. Why would you own an asset where the only fundamental value is the theoretical income stream it generates, if there's no income stream?

Rhetorical questions obviously... Especially with bitcoin, the value calculus is not so simple as transaction volume.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:34:32 PM

Not sure how everyone got confused and off topic.  The OP was about EXCHANGE TRADING VOLUME.  It was lower yesterday than normal.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:34:50 PM

If you look at daily candles you can see 3 consecutive bull flags (on after move on feb 14th, one after the move on feb 19th and the current one in progress after the move on feb 28th).

See the volume on feb 16th? Pretty low, right?

Based on this I think it's quite likely we will get a nice jump sometime around wednesday next week, maybe after a pullback on monday. Of course, past performance is no indication.

I doubt we'll go sideways for much longer than 3 more days and volume will also pick up again, likely monday.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:34:26 PM

New all time high before 02 UTC. I feel it in my bad toe.
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 02:14:49 AM

I wish I could get a loan so I can buy bitcoins.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 05:23:38 AM

I wish I could get a loan so I can buy bitcoins.

I've always thought that was a bad idea.

Oh and: isn't "the third way" something about abolishing interest?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: