Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:48:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Question For Experienced Miners Only...  (Read 1586 times)
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 01:53:47 PM

... What does it take currently to make mining profitable?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:04:32 PM

Basic math skills

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:12:16 PM

Basic math skills

Wow, I love you

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:14:56 PM

Source out hardware that is cheap preferably used in good condition. Try to trade up you're hardware with minimal cost. This involves you staying ahead of future hardware trends. Next have them operating at under clock setting that will give the best return.

and remember to keep your overhead cost low.

oh and yes use a spreadsheet and have a good plan.
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 04:19:05 PM

Basic math skills
This is correct. If you add the skills to find process and evaluate information to it you are set. For example someone considering starting now should know what miming hardware exists and in what quantity. Secondly you will need to know what is being made and in what quantity, evaluating this information can be hard. For example I would consider anyone stating absolute facts about BFL's upcoming gear an unreliable source untill said equipment actually exists and works.

Other things you need to be on top of include:
Understanding difficulty, atm I myself would do math with 10-25% rises in difficulty every week.
Electricity price, take it in to account if you need airconditioning to run your gear 24/7/365
Exchange rates, is your plan plausible if they fall a third.

Being a pessimist when estimating things helps.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:26:13 PM

Basic math skills
This is correct. If you add the skills to find process and evaluate information to it you are set. For example someone considering starting now should know what miming hardware exists and in what quantity.

Other things you need to be on top of include:

Exchange rates, is your plan plausible if they fall a third.

Being a pessimist when estimating things helps.
if your going long on your crypto currency of choice.
then try not to be ultra conservative.

as recent events have shown going long would have given greater return.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 04:45:12 PM

if your going long on your crypto currency of choice.
then try not to be ultra conservative.

as recent events have shown going long would have given greater return.

Because if you feel like that then you should invest directly in to the currency, not produce it at over the market price costs.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:51:39 PM

Assuming you want to mine BTC on GPUs, it takes two things:

Existing hardware, because you'll never break even on new investments.
The ability to search the forums for information on how to manipulate your GPU settings and mining software configurations.

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 01:20:07 AM

All of the above.

Plus you should be a decent electrician, be expert with computers and ideally programming, understand enough about network protocools to configure your routers to give priority to bitcoin traffic, and understand enough thermodynamics to include heating and the required cooling in your profit calculations.  Being a trained HVAC tech wouldn't hurt either.
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:11:55 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

To summarize everything (if anything is missing or wrong let me know):

- Get your hardware cheap, likely used (ebay???).  New hardware will take too long to pay off.

- Optimize hardware settings and prioritize traffic to mining hardware.

- Get electricity cheap.  Find ways to keep the hardware cool on the cheap. (Setup in a cold location with cheap electricity.... and likely fast internet too.)

Current variables I see I need to work in my spreadsheet:

Calculating potential coin harvest and worth:
- Current mining difficulty now and projected difficulty in 30,60,90,120 days
- Hardware speed
- Internet speed
- Price of Bitcoin

Use those numbers to calculate potential 30, 60, 90, 120 day coin harvests per rig, and worth scenarios based on the price of Bitcoin.

Unknown variables here:  The effects of tweaks on coin harvest and electricity cost, and of course the future price of Bitcoin.

Calculating maintenance costs:
- Electricity
- Bandwidth cost
- Hardware maintenance

Question here:  How big a variable is internet speed?  And how much bandwidth would I need to plan for?

Calculating upfront costs:
- Initial hardware cost
- Any monthly payments

Calculating ongoing upgrade costs:
- Projected updates of mining technology (i.e. potential lifespan of current equipment).
- Potential of premature failed equipment costs.

Use those numbers to calculate key metrics:

The key metric I see that matters for scaling is:

- The number of days until breakeven on upfront hardware cost. 
- The potential return on new hardware investments in 30,60,90,120,365 days.

So far the game seems to boil down to getting the fastest return on new hardware investment, and getting the most out of it during its lifespan.

(Spoken from someone who has never mined a single Bitcoin...Yet.)

Am I missing anything?
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 02:29:36 AM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 02:55:49 AM by Entropy-uc

Uptime becomes a major factor.  If your network is down you are down.  Consider having 2 network connections.  I have that plus a cellular internet connection I can bring on in emergencies.  The same goes for power.  How often does the power go out where you are?  If it goes out will your rigs come back up and hash right away or will they sit idle until you get home?  If your software crashes how long will it be until you know, and can get to your gear to fix them?

Since I outed myself as a large miner in the photos thread, I will tell you a sad story from my start up times.

At the time I was traveling every week, and it turned out that the FPGAs I have were incredibly fussy about USB connections.  There is no way to correct this other than physically power cycling the boards.  Once, shortly after I left from setting up about 30 new boards, half of the existing boards dropped their connections.  Plus one set of 24 boards went offline and I was unable to SSH into the controller computer for them.  It turned out that the new controller computer had a power setting to Hibernate on no activity for 5 hours that I hadn't noticed during setup.

I had a trusted neighbor with my key who I got to stop in a couple days later to restart the computer, but dealing with the other problems were far beyond his skills.

I was out for 2 weeks, and that was before the block reward halving.  I think I lost out on something like 25 coins per day.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 03:35:56 AM

- Get your hardware cheap, likely used (ebay???).  New hardware will take too long to pay off.
I think you're wrong on this point. I don't like buying used hardware, as your chance of failure is higher. I buy a brand new 7950 off Newegg with a 3 year warranty, and I know that thing is gonna last 3 years, minimum. I buy a used 5970 off ebay, that's been mining nonstop for the past 18 months in 80+C conditions, and I can't guarantee it'll last more than a year.

With the new hardware, it might take longer, but I can guarantee it will pay itself off.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 05:45:10 PM

Basic math skills

and FIAT.. BTC doesn't just grow on the interwebs you know
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 07:59:46 PM

A bitcoin price above your hardware and electricity running costs! http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: