Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:33:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this card about to die?  (Read 678 times)
YIz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 03:04:35 PM

I've been cleaning my cards as usual when I noticed this on one of the cards:

https://i.imgur.com/KI1pjvE.jpg

It's a MSI 390, been using it for mining for less than 3 months.

Do you think it's about to die? it's working normally now but I don't think it's a good sign. should I RMA it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dArkjON

Activity: 683
Merit: 513

http://bitcoin-engrave.com/ & https://bitcore.cc

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 03:14:49 PM

Do you think it's about to die? it's working normally now but I don't think it's a good sign. should I RMA it?

Check your other Cards if they have a same white think on it. Ive 470er running and the backplate is screwed and also glueded with black buffer maybe its the same by you only in white, or its the heat sink cream from the gpu if its only by this card you may can open the backplate and make it clean and refill some cream...

YIz (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 03:16:43 PM

Check your other Cards if they have a same white think on it. Ive 470er running and the backplate is screwed and also glueded with black buffer maybe its the same by you only in white, or its the heat sink cream from the gpu if its only by this you may can open the backplate and make it clean and refill some cream...

The "white thing" isn't the issue dude, those are thermal pads. I'm talking about the thing underneath it, which is now partially black and fried.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 04:28:35 PM

Seems like a VRM. They can handle higher themps than let's say the GPU chip or the memory chips but they also get quite a bit hotter.

Those rarely have built in temperature sensors (you can check with GPU-Z) so I'd suggest that you pickup a cheap IR temp gun and measure their temperature full load. Note that they will be hotter in the middle.

It might surprise you how hot they can get especially if you overclock. If they are too hot I'd reseat the thermal pads or even buy some new, bit wider thermal pads (they're cheap) and replace them.

I used to have some Asus GTX 780 Ti cards which didn't gave thermal pads by default but had a temp sensor somewhere near the VRMs and they were reporting close to a 100°C if I remember correctly - while the core itself was 65°C.

So I picked up a couple of cheap thermal pads and put them in and the temps were back down to about 80°C .

Not your keys, not your coins!
YIz (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 04:37:05 PM

Seems like a VRM. They can handle higher themps than let's say the GPU chip or the memory chips but they also get quite a bit hotter.

Those rarely have built in temperature sensors (you can check with GPU-Z) so I'd suggest that you pickup a cheap IR temp gun and measure their temperature full load. Note that they will be hotter in the middle.

It might surprise you how hot they can get especially if you overclock. If they are too hot I'd reseat the thermal pads or even buy some new, bit wider thermal pads (they're cheap) and replace them.

I used to have some Asus GTX 780 Ti cards which didn't gave thermal pads by default but had a temp sensor somewhere near the VRMs and they were reporting close to a 100°C if I remember correctly - while the core itself was 65°C.

So I picked up a couple of cheap thermal pads and put them in and the temps were back down to about 80°C .

The VRMs on this card do have temperature sensors and they are reading about 70C on both of them. the card is sitting at stock clocks now (1040Mhz).
Do you think it's a a bad sign? I don't want to open the card because there's a warranty voiding sticker on the back of the card.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 06:48:36 PM

The VRMs on this card do have temperature sensors and they are reading about 70C on both of them. the card is sitting at stock clocks now (1040Mhz).
Do you think it's a a bad sign? I don't want to open the card because there's a warranty voiding sticker on the back of the card.

70°C is nothing to worry about.

I think I got it though. Notice the discoloration only happens where the thermal pad makes contact. Some thermal pads have some sort of oily thermal fluid soaked into them. I think some of them got pushed out which caused the discoloration.

Here's a quick example of a similar situation:

These are non conductive so I wouldn't worry about it.

Not your keys, not your coins!
YIz (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 12:34:41 AM

70°C is nothing to worry about.

I think I got it though. Notice the discoloration only happens where the thermal pad makes contact. Some thermal pads have some sort of oily thermal fluid soaked into them. I think some of them got pushed out which caused the discoloration.

Here's a quick example of a similar situation:

These are non conductive so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you very much , I was worried it's going to die any minute  Cheesy
felixbrucker

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2016, 01:37:40 AM

speaking of dying, one old 7970 just died with a poof, anybody knows what part has catched fire?

http://img.ctrlv.in/img/16/10/20/58081fc7940a5.jpg
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 05:38:15 AM

I wouldn't worry too much as long as the temps are decent and if it does go up in smoke you can do the warranty on it. 

After all that is what it is for.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: