Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:33:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The solution to the moron problem.  (Read 1646 times)
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 02:42:26 AM

Alright, we have really poor posters signing up and creating relatively worthless material. The solution is simple: You create a New Members board. You only allow them to post on this board for 10 posts or so. Once they have proven to be competent members, they can take advantage of the rest of the community.

You're welcome.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dingus

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:44:35 AM

You create a New Members board. You only allow them to post on this board for 10 posts or so. Once they have proven to be competent members, they can take advantage of the rest of the community.

You're welcome.

I don't think this will solve the problem. They will just post useless things until they have 10 posts, and then post whatever nonsense they want to post on the other forums. You need to somehow force (not so much force but give the incentive to) people to contribute to the community before they can start new topics.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 06:25:18 PM

You create a New Members board. You only allow them to post on this board for 10 posts or so. Once they have proven to be competent members, they can take advantage of the rest of the community.

You're welcome.

I don't think this will solve the problem. They will just post useless things until they have 10 posts, and then post whatever nonsense they want to post on the other forums. You need to somehow force (not so much force but give the incentive to) people to contribute to the community before they can start new topics.
People have questions that deserve their own topics. You are only hurting the community. Topic creation is an inherent tool in the arsenal of the user. Without it, he's no user at all. You are denying complete forum access and the ability to get good support which is one of the main purposes of a forum.
Capitan

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:33:25 PM

I would support this. The forum is becoming cluttered with annoying posts from people with <25 post count. A ton of them are people trying to fabricate panic.

I've been on several other message boards where new users must have 10 or 20 post count before being able to post. Or they can only post in certain areas. Point taken about topic creation being a useful tool to the community but it's a tradeoff if you want to keep the quality of the message board high. If not, eventually someone will start a board of higher quality and people might migrate from here to there.
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:38:56 PM

I am usually all for no regulation at all, but this is getting stupid.

My solution would be to restrict new topic creation for new users on certain boards, like Bitcoin discusion, Economics and Trading. Also, limiting post count first few days/weeks after registration probably would be a good idea.

edit: oh, and ban idiots for a day or two
jashan

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 08:35:35 PM

People have questions that deserve their own topics. You are only hurting the community. Topic creation is an inherent tool in the arsenal of the user. Without it, he's no user at all. You are denying complete forum access and the ability to get good support which is one of the main purposes of a forum.

I'd say search is much more valuable than topic creation. Especially as a new user (and I'm a new user quite frequently on forums), you'll usually find most answers to your questions just by doing a search. Sometimes you might need some clarification - fine, post in one of the threads that already deals with the subject you want to know more about. I think that's really the healthy approach. Reading first, posting later is one of the really good things that seemingly got almost completely lost in Netiquette.

I've seen forums degrade into "hey, why didn't you use the search -> list of links with related posts" too many times. It's not really enjoyable.

But new members forum sounds fine to me, too. That way, people will at least new it's just new people posting and it's not necessarily representative of the larger community.
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 08:37:37 PM

I'd say search is much more valuable than topic creation. Especially as a new user (and I'm a new user quite frequently on forums), you'll usually find most answers to your questions just by doing a search. Sometimes you might need some clarification - fine, post in one of the threads that already deals with the subject you want to know more about. I think that's really the healthy approach. Reading first, posting later is one of the really good things that seemingly got almost completely lost in Netiquette.

I've seen forums degrade into "hey, why didn't you use the search -> list of links with related posts" too many times. It's not really enjoyable.

But new members forum sounds fine to me, too. That way, people will at least new it's just new people posting and it's not necessarily representative of the larger community.
I'd agree with you if forum search functions weren't so poor. The search algorithm is hardly comprehensive.
dingus

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 12:55:53 AM

I'd agree with you if forum search functions weren't so poor. The search algorithm is hardly comprehensive.

It isn't the 'algorithm' it is the people that don't know how to use search correctly.

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
LanYu

Activity: 54
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 01:17:58 AM

http://postimage.org/image/hgw5eio4/
Anonymous

June 12, 2011, 01:20:32 AM

Regulation works well on a voluntary level.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: