Bitcoin Forum
August 24, 2024, 04:04:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade bitcoin.org  (Read 11379 times)
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1434

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:05:35 PM

intentional? (the buttons are outside of margin)

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2013, 09:11:48 PM

The link to Bitcoin Wallet (android) is:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=fr
You have to cut the &hl=fr

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
dr_nix

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:13:46 PM

Before we go with community translations, I'm currently discussing about how it can be done right. There are some considerations. Like potential inaccuracies in translations or translations that don't get updated often enough. So it's most likely that the english texts are going to be proof-read many times in the future before being published (and translated). Some translation guidelines are also needed.

Personally, I want the website to be translated in as many languages as possible (as long as each transaction is accurate and good quality). So you can count on me to come back about this if nobody opposes to this idea.

Thanks for offering yourself!

Congratulations on the upgrade of your work to bitcoin.org!

About the guidelines and the translation process there are the following issues I see:
1) The translations must be kept up-to-date
2) The quality must be high

As I understood this project is set up this way (on github where pull requests are invited) to be able to translate everything, including things like urls and rewrite rules thereof. But there are downsides to not using a tool like transifex: Especially issue 1) becomes a problem I think.

Is there an easy solution to let translators know which sections in the source (English) have been updated since their last translation efforts? Maybe a very detailed summary should be written every time something changes in English? I've noticed in bitcoin-qt that sometimes a wording in the source changes only slightly but results in a big difference in meaning. If you don't know there has been such an update it is very easy to miss it when you compare a source and its translation side by side.

Regarding the quality issue (2): Should we maybe require a small team per language, so that we only let a language go live if there are at least say three people vouching to look after the translation?

Surely there is some experienced web developer here who has managed a high-profile multi lingual website?

I'd be very happy to contribute the Dutch translation, I've done also the bulk of bitcoin-qt so I can make them consistent.

lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:35:41 PM

Just wanted to say that I think the upgrade is a major improvement. I'm not a usability expert though so I can't contribute much.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:41:55 PM

The upgrade is a major improvement.

But bitcoin.org (which should be bitcoin.com, duh!) should have as it's primary goal to drive users to purchase bitcoins.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:39:39 PM

Well done, looks better than i expected and the diction is concise and meaningful ... let's keep it that way.

labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:34:10 AM

But bitcoin.org (which should be bitcoin.com, duh!) should have as it's primary goal to drive users to purchase bitcoins.

Not sure it should drive users to buy, but it should certainly help those who want. Could you put a link to this page in the resources ?

Thanks for the good work Smiley

EDIT : Could you publish a btc address ? You deserve some tip

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1434

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 12:42:47 AM

bitcoin.com and bitcoin.net are taken by domain squatters.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:36:27 AM

Love the redesign, and I especially love what you did with mobile and ewallets links.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 01:48:55 AM

The new site is excellent, very informative!

Under 'Some things you need to know':

Under 'Be careful with online wallets', perhaps there should be a word or two about two-factor identification, which is safer than only a username and password?

Under 'Use an offline backup for savings'

Perhaps there should be a link here to a noob guide about how to secure the offline backups properly.
blockgenesis (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:01:46 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 02:18:21 AM by blockgenesis

Yes, but most people apparently don't like it. So it's most likely to be changed in a near future, if we get to do it correcty without eating too much space in texts.

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:17:45 AM

Before we go with community translations, I'm currently discussing about how it can be done right. There are some considerations. Like potential inaccuracies in translations or translations that don't get updated often enough. So it's most likely that the english texts are going to be proof-read many times in the future before being published (and translated). Some translation guidelines are also needed.

Personally, I want the website to be translated in as many languages as possible (as long as each transaction is accurate and good quality). So you can count on me to come back about this if nobody opposes to this idea.

Thanks for offering yourself!

Congratulations on the upgrade of your work to bitcoin.org!

About the guidelines and the translation process there are the following issues I see:
1) The translations must be kept up-to-date
2) The quality must be high

As I understood this project is set up this way (on github where pull requests are invited) to be able to translate everything, including things like urls and rewrite rules thereof. But there are downsides to not using a tool like transifex: Especially issue 1) becomes a problem I think.

Is there an easy solution to let translators know which sections in the source (English) have been updated since their last translation efforts? Maybe a very detailed summary should be written every time something changes in English? I've noticed in bitcoin-qt that sometimes a wording in the source changes only slightly but results in a big difference in meaning. If you don't know there has been such an update it is very easy to miss it when you compare a source and its translation side by side.

Regarding the quality issue (2): Should we maybe require a small team per language, so that we only let a language go live if there are at least say three people vouching to look after the translation?

Surely there is some experienced web developer here who has managed a high-profile multi lingual website?

I'd be very happy to contribute the Dutch translation, I've done also the bulk of bitcoin-qt so I can make them consistent.

Github clearly is awesome to track updates in files. So I would say, yes, it's a little geek, but it's very efficient. I didn't go with transifex because this is only .html files so most of the content is only pure human readable texts to translate. As long as a translator doesn't touch the rare tags (<a></a>), then everything is ok. And even if it happens, it's easy to fix.

The second reason is that the structure of the site might actually needs to be adapted in some cases. And this setups makes all translated version independant of each other. So that if only one translation is not up-to-date, it won't prevents us to add more content in all others. All the opposite of a software that only have a few dialogs and fallback to english when nothing else is available, the website contains long texts and I think this would not give a good result.

Also, someone does not necessary needs to be a github expert to contribute. In the worst scenario, simply downloading the .html files, translating them and sending them back by email can do the trick. Github pull request only saves us time and allows us to work more efficiently.

Indeed, I think that having a more than one translator for each language (at least one native translator and another native speaker to review) sounds pretty good. However, I have almost no experience at leading such things. So any help will be appreciated.

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:25:18 AM

Not sure it should drive users to buy, but it should certainly help those who want. Could you put a link to this page in the resources ?

Thanks for the good work Smiley

EDIT : Could you publish a btc address ? You deserve some tip

I'm also not 100% sure about this, I'm keeping the idea. Clearly, this is going to be something new visitors will always search for.

You're right!! I added a donation address in my signature :-)

Thanks!

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:35:44 AM

The new site is excellent, very informative!

Under 'Some things you need to know':

Under 'Be careful with online wallets', perhaps there should be a word or two about two-factor identification, which is safer than only a username and password?

Under 'Use an offline backup for savings'

Perhaps there should be a link here to a noob guide about how to secure the offline backups properly.

Ah, good idea for two-factor!
I also had in mind to work some specific guides with advises and tips for important subjects like this one.

RoxxR

Activity: 209
Merit: 148

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:39:35 AM

<Facepalm>
Of all clients, are you seriously pushing new, unsuspecting users to Multibit, which relies on Java, has coin-eating bugs and lacks wallet encryption?
blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 02:44:58 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 03:28:17 AM by blockgenesis

I think many people will be against this. Because Bitcoin is vulnerable to speculation and if it grows too fast, it won't grow strong. And then, with a weak economy, bad things will happen, us being pointed as evil for users mistakes.

Also, bitcoin-qt that builds the backbone of the network is still experimental. I think that the recent chain fork should remains us all this. Bitcoin might be a very strong protocol, but its implementation is still fragile for the huge value that is exchanged through it. I think the very highest priority is to help Bitcoin development first by making sure that the Foundation gets enough funds to pay existing and new developers.

So basically yes, developping Bitcoin is great. But there might be strategic steps that are more likely to succeed in the long term.

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:36:50 AM

<Facepalm>
Of all clients, are you seriously pushing new, unsuspecting users to Multibit, which relies on Java, has coin-eating bugs and lacks wallet encryption?

Everyone on bitcoin-dev kind of agreed that no wallet is the right one. Multibit has been the one because it is a lightweight client. Most new users will get stuck with Bitcoin-Qt taking a complete day to sync, and it will be worse in the future. Though I am not aware myself of the coin-eating bug you refer too. If that is still accurate, then for sure it is a serious concern.

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:37:43 AM

I think many people will be against this. Because Bitcoin is vulnerable to speculation and if it grows too fast, it won't grow strong. And then, with a weak economy, bad things will happen, us being pointed as evil for users mistakes.

This is so condescending that it is borderline insulting. Give people as much rope as they want. But include a big disclaimer.

Also, bitcoin-qt that builds the backbone of the network is still experimental.

Which is so sad. In 4 years they couldn't produce an official 1.0 release? What does that tell us?

I think the very highest priority is to help Bitcoin development first by making sure that the Foundation gets enough funds to pay existing and new developers.

Then sell advertising space on bitcoin.org to exchanges.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:44:04 AM

Gratz, nice work !!

Very interresting.. much more attractive.  Keep up the good work !
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 03:48:55 AM

Yes, but most people apparently don't like it. So it's most likely to be changed in a near future, if we get to do it correcty without eating too much space in texts.

I think if you rounded the white background corners by 2 or 3px it might make it look better with the buttons.  Right now it looks weird because the round corner buttons are overlapping the square corner background.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: