Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:55:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [AMA] with Bobby Lee, Co-Founder and CEO of BTCC on BTCC Mint collectibles  (Read 623 times)
BTCC_Official (OP)

Activity: 485
Merit: 294

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 11:58:24 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2016, 12:30:33 PM by BTCC_Official

Hi everyone,

BTCC will hold an AMA with Bobby Lee, our CEO, on Reddit from 1 to 2 AM (UTC) on Monday, November 28th. The AMA will be focused on BTCC Mint collectibles, including our recently introduced Bitcoin “Poker” Chips.

The Reddit thread for the AMA is here.

You can start posting your questions on Reddit now. Bobby will answer the questions on Monday in the order in which they are posted.

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coin@coin
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 07:07:56 PM

Loads of questions already! Good idea!

One that picked my interest is this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ene0s/ama_with_bobby_lee_cofounder_and_ceo_of_btcc_on/dae2lu6/

I'd like to see some themed BTCC coins too.  Wink
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2016, 02:18:08 AM

This is a great idea. I know there are many questions that we as a community want to ask.

Thanks for setting this up!!! Cheesy

Thanks for giving us feedback!
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:06:22 AM

Hi everyone, the AMA has started now. Post your questions for BTCC CEO Bobby Lee to answer: https://bt.cc/mintama16
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:20:17 AM

We'll be posting highlights of the AMA here on Bitcoin Talk.

On private key security:

“The security of BTCC Mint collectibles, specifically, the security of the private keys is very important to me. All keys are generated on an offline computer with a hard drive that has full disk encryption. They key files are never sent electronically over a network and are never copied onto any removable USB drives. I print them out once, and then delete the soft copies. Once printed out, paper copies are always handled under my direct supervision.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ene0s/ama_with_bobby_lee_cofounder_and_ceo_of_btcc_on/daicenc/
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:29:44 AM

On not shipping to the US:

“We're not currently able to ship to the USA due to regulatory reasons. FinCEN and bitcoin regulation rules require us to obtain certain licenses, which we haven't yet obtained.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ene0s/ama_with_bobby_lee_cofounder_and_ceo_of_btcc_on/daicxt2/
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:35:32 AM

On how BTCC Mint came to being:

BTCC Mint has been over 1.5 years in the making. In late 2015, I had a conversation with my brother, Charlie Lee, who's also into Bitcoin collectibles. I floated the idea that BTCC could do the same and make physical bitcoins loaded with brand new uncirculated bitcoins from our mining pool. We imagined a whole series of coins and chips, from low denominations to the highest, a full block, known today as the Bitcoin Block. Since Casascius is no longer making coins, we saw a huge gap in the market, and wanted to offer the community the best in class physical bitcoins.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ene0s/ama_with_bobby_lee_cofounder_and_ceo_of_btcc_on/daicxt2/
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:41:47 AM

On demand for BTCC Mint collectibles:

“Sales for BTCC Mint are going very well! Hopefully, we'll continue doing this for the long term. I think physical bitcoins are very important for Bitcoin, and digital currencies in general, because it makes them tangible for everyday use, and makes Bitcoin instantly accessible to everyone. I cannot predict how long this continues. If demand stops, then the business cannot continue, obviously.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ene0s/ama_with_bobby_lee_cofounder_and_ceo_of_btcc_on/daid8wy/
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:53:59 AM

On why BTCC Mint doesn’t sell empty coins that are loaded after the customer receives them:

“There are two main reasons why we choose not to do this:

1) Loading of bitcoins through mining is actually a tricky business. There are times, due to fast mining of successive blocks, when the same address gets loaded twice. As a result, if we were to mine coins after selling them, we would need to charge more upfront (at least twice the face value), and then issue a refund.

2) I really want all of our physical bitcoins to contain loaded bitcoins, so that all people know that they can trust a BTCC Mint coin they receive as long as the hologram sticker is intact. This is to improve dependability and trust in our products. That's why it's not feasible, in my mind, to selectively mine to certain addresses once we get buyer confirmation that the coin has been received.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ene0s/ama_with_bobby_lee_cofounder_and_ceo_of_btcc_on/daidy7e/
BTCC_Official (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 02:13:28 AM

On bitcoin’s growth in China:

Bitcoin is still growing very fast in China. We are seeing a constant rise in demand here. I think the main challenges to bitcoin going mainstream in China are the same as for everywhere else: It's to overcome people's natural misunderstanding (or lack of understanding) of Bitcoin. Bitcoin is just so different to anything else people are familiar with. They don't understand the importance of decentralization, the idea of no counterparty risk. The biggest hurdle to adoption right now is increasing understanding of bitcoin and why it's revolutionary and better than the currently available alternatives.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5ene0s/ama_with_bobby_lee_cofounder_and_ceo_of_btcc_on/daie90u/
AussieHash

Activity: 692
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2017, 12:12:41 PM

Mobi wallet questions:

Given the fee structure I assume it is the same wavecrest card that other services like uquid are using.

Converting the free 1000 mBTC to USD or AUD gives the same 0.7% fee below the bitpay rate. From there the value is presumably kept in the chosen fiat currency like coinapult locks.

The visa card is debited I assume from this USD balance ($2/month) as are the Visa debit transactions.

Are there any additional fees for using the Visa ? These smaller companies charge a "loading" fee, whereas I don't think Xapo does. Do you charge a loading fee ?

Can we cancel the visa card to stop these $2/mo deductions.

Can we order multiple Visa cards ?

What happens if our USD fiat balance is zero, but we have wallet balances in other currencies/BTC ? Will the monthly fee be deducted from our non-USD balance ?

Do you plan to offer other currency Visa cards ?

What documentation is required for verification ?

How do customers withdraw fiat currency ? For example if Alice sends Bob USD$100 via Mobi to his phone number, how will Bob withdraw the USD (if he has no interest in converting to BTC)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: