Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:01:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to know when something needs to be done...  (Read 655 times)
bitterbug (OP)

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 08:33:25 PM

Today I broadcast a transaction.

The amount was deliberately small.... 50c worth of BTC. I wanted to see how it would be treated by the network.

We are 6hrs 30 mins later and the transaction status is still unconfirmed.

The fee, 12c, is low, of course ... given the transaction amount (although not low compared to the trx amount) but does this mean my transaction may never make it onto the blockchain?

I'll leave it overnight and keep watching it tomorrow but how would I know it is time to do something to get it confirmed? And what should that something be?

I've heard, leaving my sending wallet open will usually keep broadcasting and also I heard that one might try adjusting the fee... is that correct?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 21, 2017, 10:31:12 PM

The amount was deliberately small.... 50c worth of BTC. I wanted to see how it would be treated by the network.

The fee, 12c, is low, of course ... given the transaction amount (although not low compared to the trx amount) but does this mean my transaction may never make it onto the blockchain?

I'll leave it overnight and keep watching it tomorrow but how would I know it is time to do something to get it confirmed? And what should that something be?

I've heard, leaving my sending wallet open will usually keep broadcasting and also I heard that one might try adjusting the fee... is that correct?
There are options. 1. Transaction accelerator. 2. RBF Replace By Fee. 3. CPFP Child Pays For Parent.
You can wait and the transaction will eventually be confirmed. There is also a chance that it will be dropped after 72 hours.

Jodee_r

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 10:31:06 AM

But it's bad that confirmation of transaction depends on the value of miner's fee. Currently the miner's fee also so high.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4919

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2017, 10:33:44 AM

--snip--

- bitcoin core (bitcoin-qt) will indeed keep rebroadcasting your transaction, most other wallets won't
- adjusting the fee is basically using RBF, it will only work if you opted in RBF when creating your transaction

You can use the fee checker on my website to find out if your tx has a decent chance of getting in the next 24 blocks, and you'll be given all possible options to speed up the confirmation that i know off:
http://www.mocacinno.com/page/feechecker

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
flagham

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2017, 07:28:44 PM

Just use the recommended transaction fee  Wink
RJX
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

umachit.fund

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 07:58:41 AM

I tried that for a week and no confirmations after which I send to viabtc.

I've heard that too, I think it's called 'double spending' and I deemed it too much of a hassle to recuparate 50 cents worth of bitcoin.

so use recommended fees or use viabtc.

.UmaChit.Fund.
‎ ★
..Revolutionized Rotating..
..Savings & Borrowings.....

‎ ★
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████████████▀▀▀█████████
██████ ▀██████▀      ▄██████
██████▄   ▀▀▀        ███████
██████▄             ▄███████
███████▄           ▄████████
██████▀▀▀        ▄██████████
███████▄▄     ▄▄████████████
█████████████▀    ██████████
████████████    ▄▄██████████
███████████▀    ▀▀██████████
██████████▌       ██████████
████████████    ████████████
████████████▄  ▄████████████
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 08:09:24 PM

There are options. 1. Transaction accelerator. 2. RBF Replace By Fee. 3. CPFP Child Pays For Parent.
You can wait and the transaction will eventually be confirmed. There is also a chance that it will be dropped after 72 hours.

Can you please expand on that ? I find it very interesting. I only know about double spending but don't know how it's done or how it works. These methods you speak of I have never heard of. Can't you out a brief summary of them instead of just listing them. Not all of us know about these things so maybe a small summary and link would be really great. You could start a thread about it actually as well. It will help others who are interested in the same thing.

Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 09:17:11 PM

Can you please expand on that ? I find it very interesting. I only know about double spending but don't know how it's done or how it works. These methods you speak of I have never heard of. Can't you out a brief summary of them instead of just listing them. Not all of us know about these things so maybe a small summary and link would be really great. You could start a thread about it actually as well. It will help others who are interested in the same thing.
There are threads about this in this forum already and so are articles and instructions. I think there is no need to talk about it to deeply as anyone interested can google it.
Let me give you the basic idea behind it.
1. Transaction accelerator
Miners include the transaction and usually go for the ones with high fees. But they can hand pick them and put even zero fee transactions in if they want to. So there are services where you pay them or ask nicely and they will include you in the next block that they mine. The most popular will be this one: https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/

2. RBF Replace By Fee
The idea is to send the transaction that is awaiting confirmation a second time but with higher fees. The higher fee should make it more attractive to miners to put it in their next block. Not all wallets support this, so this is not possible in all cases. 

3. CPFP Child Pays For Parent
The address that is receiving the funds can spend the not yet confirmed Bitcoins with a high fee. This will make the miners want to include this transaction, but in order to do so they will also need to include the first transaction. both should get confirmed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: