Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:35:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kim Dotcom wants to create a Bitcoin credit card, would you want a Megacard?  (Read 2345 times)
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 09:19:45 AM

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/28881/kim-dotcom-wants-to-create-a-bitcoin-credit-card-would-you-want-a-megacard-/index.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:25:27 AM

Bitcoin going mainstream.
vdragon

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 10:34:08 AM

If this man doesnt help it, no one will Smiley

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 11:39:46 AM

needs more details

Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:26:14 PM

Creating a credit card is no easy task, especially a bitcoin credit card. I'll believe it when I see it.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:30:54 PM

Creating a credit card is no easy task, especially a bitcoin credit card. I'll believe it when I see it.

Yep.  The amount of ass wiping and kneeling in front of international bankers is probably enormous.

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 02:40:32 PM

Thats not true I talked to a few card issuers, as I deal in credit card transactions all the time. The real problem is, you need at least 100k to just print the cards... Most company's will print a card for anyone if you buy all of the cards up front. The lowest I found was 50 cards @ 30 dollars a piece min 1900$ dollars all the cards are blank no design. 
The biggest problem would be to convert BTC>USD to cover the purchase.
Lets say you went to the grocery store and bought a bag chips for 3 dollars, the card would have to call to a program to convert BTC at the current USD rate.
The software I use allows for POS and Credit card integration, its banking software. I am going to ask my programmer to write a script that will reflect the  BTC balance into the USD account at the current exchange rate and see if I can get a working solution.
The problem I see with this is price fluxes you may or may not have enough to cover the purchase.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 03:31:31 PM

Thats not true I talked to a few card issuers, as I deal in credit card transactions all the time. The real problem is, you need at least 100k to just print the cards... Most company's will print a card for anyone if you buy all of the cards up front. The lowest I found was 50 cards @ 30 dollars a piece min 1900$ dollars all the cards are blank no design. 
Lets say you went to the grocery store and bought a bag chips for 3 dollars, the card would have to call to a program to convert BTC at the current USD rate.
The software I use allows for POS and Credit card integration, its banking software. I am going to ask my programmer to write a script that will reflect the  BTC balance into the USD account at the current exchange rate and see if I can get a working solution.
The problem I see with this is price fluxes you may or may not have enough to cover the purchase.

I seem to recall the company I worked for ordered up a bunch of printed cards back in the late 90s. Front and back design, whatever you wanted on the stripe & front. I want to say we got 100 (I had to generate the file with the stripe & emboss data) at about £2.50 a pop (they were promotional). I wouldn't be surprised if you could get them cheaper these days. Either way, $1900 would be nothing for a venture like this.

Though it's not really clear how it works. Is it purely bitcoin or does it involve a native currency to bitcoin conversion? If there's conversion involved, I don't really think it adds much in value to the bitcoin ecosystem, native cards are not hard to come by.

BitcoinINV

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:05:26 PM

I seem to recall the company I worked for ordered up a bunch of printed cards back in the late 90s. Front and back design, whatever you wanted on the stripe & front. I want to say we got 100 (I had to generate the file with the stripe & emboss data) at about £2.50 a pop (they were promotional). I wouldn't be surprised if you could get them cheaper these days. Either way, $1900 would be nothing for a venture like this.

Though it's not really clear how it works. Is it purely bitcoin or does it involve a native currency to bitcoin conversion? If there's conversion involved, I don't really think it adds much in value to the bitcoin ecosystem, native cards are not hard to come by.

I don't think at this point millions of retailers would be willing to take bitcoin directly, or I could have bitcoin credit cards in one month. I think the ISO is a step in the right direction to do that. Maybe give the merchants a choice to keep coins or auto convert?

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:15:54 PM

I don't think at this point millions of retailers would be willing to take bitcoin directly, or I could have bitcoin credit cards in one month. I think the ISO is a step in the right direction to do that. Maybe give the merchants a choice to keep coins or auto convert?

The problem is that while conversions apply, people will think of bitcoin in terms of whatever it's worth in their native currency. That's fine but what Bitcoin really needs is its own ecosystem which floats somewhat against native currencies so that when something is one bitcoin today and it's one bitcoin tomorrow, that's mentally taken as stable.

Not that it should be a forced thing, just that "here's an easier way to convert" doesn't really go very far in the scheme of things.

BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 04:58:56 PM

Well, if I could send bitcoins to some address and that would add money (USD/EUR/GBP etc) to my creditcard that would be awesome. We just need some sort of a bank issuing those creditcards. Maybe some day MtGox, BitStamp or such services get this thing established. Definately looking forward to it, this would make Bitcoin payments mainstream  immediately.
BitcoinINV

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 05:44:32 PM

I could handle that, BBQKorv it would just take lots of capital to get it done.
The way my system works now is you can hold BTC, LTC or USD.
I could do this by adding a USD account that only allows withdraws. The credit limit of the USD account would be tied to the bitcoin average X coins = spend limit. So if you had 1 coin your card limit at the time would be the AVG.
What sucks about that is dips and and hikes could kill you while waiting in line Sad

FreedomCoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 507

Freedom to choose

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:59:52 PM

Should be interesting how the bank owned media portrays it.

nwbitcoin

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 09:54:23 AM

I love this idea, but I would only use the term credit card for marketing purposes.

I am currently working on a business plan that would do something similar, but I'm using telecom prepayment cards as my incentive.

The main advantage is that bitcoin is not a currency and so you don't have to follow financial rules for how you sell bitcoins and to who.

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 10:07:36 PM

"And this just in: a credit card for terrorists, pedophiles and drug abusers?  It's more likely than you think."

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:25:07 AM

Yep.  The amount of ass wiping and kneeling in front of international bankers is probably enormous.
Or go to Iran and research possibility to use Shetab network as a carrier.

P.S. I could not get Shetab bank card, no one have the card or dump of magnetic tracks. Could someone donate expired Shetab card to me via mail or give specific format of the data on the card?

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:44:59 AM

I just have to bump this to bump the exchange rate!

Kim is playing you guys... lol
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:05:35 AM

Kim pumps, then he dumps. Done it before with fiat, now he's doing it with the anonymity of bitcoin!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:22:50 AM

"And this just in: a credit card for terrorists, pedophiles and drug abusers?  It's more likely than you think."

Perfect for HSBC and other big banks like them.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 04:55:55 AM

Kim pumps, then he dumps. Done it before with fiat, now he's doing it with the anonymity of bitcoin!

Maybe he'll try LTC next.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:09:50 AM

Isnt it more likely kim is a media whore who is using bitcoin to keep his name in the nerd press?
He prob has ppl working fir him to do just that.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:07:44 PM

P.S. I could not get Shetab bank card, no one have the card or dump of magnetic tracks. Could someone donate expired Shetab card to me via mail or give specific format of the data on the card?

Presumably you want the actual data value from the cards? The format should be standard.

lucb1e

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 08:04:03 PM

If this man doesnt help it, no one will Smiley
I wouldn't think that. He says a lot, but delivering... Some things, yes, but some are just too far fetched even for him to pull off. Paymium (bitcoin-central) was also doing this, no? They are a registered PSP, I would have more trust in them than Dotcom.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 10:58:47 PM

Presumably you want the actual data value from the cards? The format should be standard.
I can only guess that the Shetab is clone of Cirrus network and the data on card is similar to other banking cards. But not sure until I see it with my own eyes. If so, then Shetab is no more advantageous than any other existing network.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:05:47 AM

I can only guess that the Shetab is clone of Cirrus network and the data on card is similar to other banking cards. But not sure until I see it with my own eyes. If so, then Shetab is no more advantageous than any other existing network.

I have no idea why this Shetab card is supposed to be any different but if you haven't run across it already, this is a useful document http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=37&id=6

Looking at the Shetab page on Wikipedia, it seems like it's more about an inter-bank network for accessing funds and probably doesn't affect the cards themselves. So I'm guessing they more than likely adhere to the standard but I wouldn't be willing to bet real money on it.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: