Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2018, 11:51:40 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 342 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain's Released Antminer S9, World's First 16nm Miner Ready to Order  (Read 498676 times)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1081

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 12:27:22 AM

Well, I just turned 30 last month so I don't think I qualify yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1062

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 12:36:33 AM

Since healthcare considers people under 25 as children...sure.
Brain development does not stop until we are 25, too.
The funniest age definition I ever encountered was with NIH, which considers people below 42 years old as "young" scientists.
Maybe it is up to 45 now, I just don't know.
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 12:39:42 AM

Wait a minute. You just turned 30 and you know how to write?

I don't know how you pulled that off. By your sense of grammar I thought for sure that you were at least in your fifties  Wink

Sorry for getting off topic. Returning to our regularly scheduled overpriced hardware thread...

Was I helpful?   BTC: 18wQtEDmhur2xAd3oE8qgrZbpCDeuMsdQW   LTC: LbqLtkZ6wTSpwHHuv1tG4J7tHajGdH5QFB   DOGE: D9R5ySAP2DARpxuNKd7hN7ANmqFiGwB9G6
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 01:18:37 AM

Well, I have a unique background. My father is a jack-of-all-trades carpenter and the son of a civil engineer; my mother is an English teacher, the daughter of a math teacher and a telephone lineman (farmers both), so I grew up alternating between swinging a hammer and digesting classic Literature. Alongside my engineering and science degrees I took enough English classes in college that I'm one shy of a minor in writing - something I might complete if I can afford to get back in this fall.

Oh yeah, and hardware is overpriced. I'm looking forward to my S7LN getting shipped any day now, so I can play around with optimized undervolting. Might pick up some cheap 135-chip S7s after the halving and crank 'em down to baseline efficiency. If any of Hawkfish's machines in my hosting are still up for grabs by then we might strike a deal.

Probably won't have any 16nm gear of my own until I'm running stuff I've built myself. Don't really have the budget anymore for a $2100 miner, not when that's more than I paid for my old-enough-to-drink car.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1034

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 01:59:01 AM

Sidehack, if you need a 135 chip s7 to play with, looks like I'll have a couple spares after my s9 arrives  (limited power budget) so I can always send you one.

btw: if you need more s5's to strip for making Compacs I have 3 more I can send ya. Wink As for old farts.... Turning 60 here next mo right around the Halving.

-Joshua Zipkin aka Joshua Alexander leaked AMT A1 miner skype chats http://bit.ly/1Qjt6lj
-For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself.    HaggsFIN trip to Canaan
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Kolbas

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 02:05:16 AM

I personally could care less if it mines on -ck and/or Kano's software and pools or not.  Speaking of bastards, I think both of them are egotistical bastards.  I would rather mine on Antpool or any other pool than support the software of those 2 guys.  They are condescending and downright rude 98% of the time.

I am all over the new Antminer S9 and if it pisses -ck and Kano off then even better.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 02:10:55 AM

I've got about 40 S7 from various batches in hosting, so if I end up with any of them would save shipping cost. I'm working on a trade for a bunch of S5 but if I come up short I'll let you know.

I also will never mine on Antpool.

scyth3

Activity: 474
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 02:16:38 AM

I personally could care less if it mines on -ck and/or Kano's software and pools or not.  Speaking of bastards, I think both of them are egotistical bastards.  I would rather mine on Antpool or any other pool than support the software of those 2 guys.  They are condescending and downright rude 98% of the time.

I am all over the new Antminer S9 and if it pisses -ck and Kano off then even better.

Meanwhile using CGMiner in your S9, lol.
elokk

Activity: 526
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 02:51:09 AM

They may be egotistical bastards but I will always support their work and will only mine on pools running ckpool. These guys an an asset to the community, we cannot say so much about antpool.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1177

Avalon 841 rocks

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 03:16:47 AM

I personally could care less if it mines on -ck and/or Kano's software and pools or not.  Speaking of bastards, I think both of them are egotistical bastards.  I would rather mine on Antpool or any other pool than support the software of those 2 guys.  They are condescending and downright rude 98% of the time.

Based on the returns at the kano.is pool it looks to me like he practices honesty above manners.  I would like both  but in mining I prefer an honest impolite at times person over a dishonest polite person.

one thing is 100% sure about bitmaintech they do not practice honesty when it comes to software.

As they refuse to honor international laws about using software. BTW deep pockets and proper political connections may one they really hurt them on this.

They still sell good gear.  Which I purchased from them last week.

I mine alt coins with https://simplemining.net...
I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 03:25:51 AM

Yep. Honest and polite is the best way to go, but if you have to pick one always pick honesty.

chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 899

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2016, 03:27:38 AM

CK - my question was mostly rhetorical. I know all the business reasons why people deal with China. I also know (and for the most part represent) all the reasons why some people refuse to deal with China.
That I understood, however that doesn't stop people asking the questions so every so often an old bastard like me has to spell it out as clearly as possible.

Nothing wrong with that. As old bastard in training, I respect the point.

[laughing]... so, where is the demarcation line between OB in training vs OB?
I am firmly in the OB category already, regardless.

The demarcation line is called male balding pattern: you have it? you're OB, you don't? trainee.

BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1271

Bitcointalks Most Fabulously Gay Black Power-Top

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 03:47:23 AM

I personally could care less if it mines on -ck and/or Kano's software and pools or not.  Speaking of bastards, I think both of them are egotistical bastards.

For what it's worth, I've found ck to be a decent and helpful guy. Maybe a bit short sometimes, but not anywhere close to being a bellend like Kano.

And then there is Luke-Jr which is another level of crazy bastard altogether.
philipma1957
Legendary

Avalon 841 rocks

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 03:58:43 AM

I personally could care less if it mines on -ck and/or Kano's software and pools or not.  Speaking of bastards, I think both of them are egotistical bastards.

For what it's worth, I've found ck to be a decent and helpful guy. Maybe a bit short sometimes, but not anywhere close to being a bellend like Kano.

Yeah ck then Kano then Luke

Sort of 2  then 4 then 16

Shitty iPad does not do squared and cubed correctly .

I don't use Luke much at all.

I use ck and Kano quite a bit.

Also remember they are high quality programmers and every good programmer I have ever know was just a bit off center.  

Or maybe I am just a bit jelly of,the ability to be a high quality programmer as I do not have that skill set.

I see BTC as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions.
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 04:08:45 AM

I personally could care less if it mines on -ck and/or Kano's software and pools or not.  Speaking of bastards, I think both of them are egotistical bastards.

Yeah ck then Kano then Luke

Sort of 2  then 4 then 16

Shitty iPad does not do squared and cubed correctly .

I don't use Luke much at all.

I use ck and Kano quite a bit.

Also remember they are high quality programmers and every good programmer I have ever know was just a bit off center.   

Or maybe I am just a bit jelly of,the ability to be a high quality programmer as I do. Or,have that skill set.

I would personally pick Luke Jr, as I have done in the past and will do so on future projects.  He is an honest and polite individual in my eyes.  I have mined on Kano.is since the beginning (when I am mining Bitcoin), and have respect for them, just not to the level I respect Luke Jr.

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 05:56:57 AM

Can someone opine whether two S9 would be able to run on one 2880w PSU?
Thanks

no  unless you downclock to 13th.

but this is a complete and absolute guess.

2x S9's @ 1375W DC each will draw 2750W, which would be 95.5% load on PSU.  They should hold up just fine at stock clock unless ambient temp is very high.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1021

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 06:36:32 AM

CK - my question was mostly rhetorical. I know all the business reasons why people deal with China. I also know (and for the most part represent) all the reasons why some people refuse to deal with China.
That I understood, however that doesn't stop people asking the questions so every so often an old bastard like me has to spell it out as clearly as possible.

Nothing wrong with that. As old bastard in training, I respect the point.

[laughing]... so, where is the demarcation line between OB in training vs OB?
I am firmly in the OB category already, regardless.

The demarcation line is called male balding pattern: you have it? you're OB, you don't? trainee.

My grandpa still had a full head of hair in his 90s. Some of us are lucky and don't GET "male balding pattern" to a significant degree if at all.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
BobLawblaw
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1271

Bitcointalks Most Fabulously Gay Black Power-Top

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 07:31:16 AM

Or maybe I am just a bit jelly of,the ability to be a high quality programmer as I do. Or,have that skill set.

There is a huge difference between being a massive bellend and a bit off center.

The bellends don't make it very far in the "real world" - You either learn to play nice with your team and co-workers, or your career is likely to be short at any publicly traded company.

Most, if not all of the brilliant engineers I know, do indeed have their own idiosyncrasies, but they aren't bellends. The people like Kano wouldn't last long on any team I've ever worked with, and people like Luke-Jr wouldn't make it to an interview stage after doing a background check on him. ck seems more like the people I've dealt with in my time - someone that may have a bad day here and there, but doesn't generally go around making life miserable for his team.

Sorry for the derail. Should probably get back on topic about how Bitmain likes to ignore the license and refuse to release cgminer updates, while exploiting the code for monetary gain.
philipma1957
Legendary

Avalon 841 rocks

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 12:26:30 PM

There is a huge difference between being a massive bellend and a bit off center.

The bellends don't make it very far in the "real world" - You either learn to play nice with your team and co-workers, or your career is likely to be short at any publicly traded company.

Most, if not all of the brilliant engineers I know, do indeed have their own idiosyncrasies, but they aren't bellends. The people like Kano wouldn't last long on any team I've ever worked with, and people like Luke-Jr wouldn't make it to an interview stage after doing a background check on him. ck seems more like the people I've dealt with in my time - someone that may have a bad day here and there, but doesn't generally go around making life miserable for his team.

Sorry for the derail. Should probably get back on topic about how Bitmain likes to ignore the license and refuse to release cgminer updates, while exploiting the code for monetary gain.

Or is the topic how many of these will we buy?  I liquidated a lot of gear looking to order a third and or fourth.

Longsnowsm

Activity: 714
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 06, 2016, 01:17:52 PM

After plugging in the numbers into a calculator, and trying to factor in halving I am having a hard time figuring out how to ROI with the S9.  Maybe I am over estimating the impact of halving into the equation.  I even adjusted the BTC valuations up to $1000 USD and then factored the halving into the picture and still no ROI in a year.  So maybe I am doing this wrong.  Thoughts on ROI on the S9 and the impacts of halving?

Correction to my estimate:  Looks like the calculator says that if BTC is $1000 that you could see ROI in 8 months based on the effective TH drop by half.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 342 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.