Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:09:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 [316] 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain's Released Antminer S9, World's First 16nm Miner Ready to Order  (Read 530802 times)
kenji

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:57:33 PM

if you have free power and nobody has to listen it's awesome.

Even with free power you still have the cost of the money you put in place and your time along with any import fees and rental costs.

As a space heater then it works well at 9500 USD/BTC getting you a small profit of 0.04BTC over the course of 1.5 years of babysitting.

An estimated 0.04BTC over 1.5 years. Damn near nowhere certain.

Also out of curiosity because it's very difficult to read that spreadsheet, does that include the large chunk of money you'll get back when you go to sell and upgrade miners in the future or are you just for some reason assuming that it will be a piece of metal to throw in the garbage?

Great question.

Unfortunately I have not had a request for this. However I can add it.

Like selling and keeping your overhead low and perhaps using these as heating sources in place of conventional heaters.

The reality is you can depreciate the asset over time to get tax savings.

I don't know how accurate it would be because god knows what will happen a few years from now, but you could use the time since the S7 has been released and the percentage that its retail price on Bitmain vs. it's resale price on eBay has declined over that time span and factor that in. It's a lot of money that a lot of people don't consider when they calculate ROI.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:02:08 PM

if you have free power and nobody has to listen it's awesome.

Even with free power you still have the cost of the money you put in place and your time along with any import fees and rental costs.

As a space heater then it works well at 9500 USD/BTC getting you a small profit of 0.04BTC over the course of 1.5 years of babysitting.

An estimated 0.04BTC over 1.5 years. Damn near nowhere certain.

Also out of curiosity because it's very difficult to read that spreadsheet, does that include the large chunk of money you'll get back when you go to sell and upgrade miners in the future or are you just for some reason assuming that it will be a piece of metal to throw in the garbage?

Great question.

Unfortunately I have not had a request for this. However I can add it.

Like selling and keeping your overhead low and perhaps using these as heating sources in place of conventional heaters.

The reality is you can depreciate the asset over time to get tax savings.

I don't know how accurate it would be because god knows what will happen a few years from now, but you could use the time since the S7 has been released and the percentage that its retail price on Bitmain vs. it's resale price on eBay has declined over that time span and factor that in. It's a lot of money that a lot of people don't consider when they calculate ROI.

True. Even after having the audacity of attempting to estimate market trends and hardware development or the going future rate of BTC/USD. Adding another variable only serves for awareness of the option.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:06:49 PM

AntPool even stopped paying out for a a few days waiting for BCH/BTC to drop on the way down and then paid out the miners. Total scam artists

You realize they pay out in BTC and BCH so the USD equivalent means literally nothing. Claiming everything they do is a scam is the mark of ignorance.

You earn .8 BTC

Payout delayed 3 days.

You still get your .8 BTC.

How is that a scam? How exactly do they benefit from it?

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
kenji

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 06:16:03 PM

AntPool even stopped paying out for a a few days waiting for BCH/BTC to drop on the way down and then paid out the miners. Total scam artists

You realize they pay out in BTC and BCH so the USD equivalent means literally nothing. Claiming everything they do is a scam is the mark of ignorance.

You earn .8 BTC

Payout delayed 3 days.

Doesn't matter if they pay out in BTC or BCH, you think they're not converting that BTC and BCH into USD when the price is right? Unless I'm misunderstanding, they would benefit by converting their BTC and BCH into USD while the price is high, then the price tanks and they release everyone's money in BTC or BCH which is now worth less. Who knows though, just speculation.
Mousem40

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 07:11:20 PM

You earn .8 BTC

Payout delayed 3 days.

Doesn't matter if they pay out in BTC or BCH, you think they're not converting that BTC and BCH into USD when the price is right? Unless I'm misunderstanding, they would benefit by converting their BTC and BCH into USD while the price is high, then the price tanks and they release everyone's money in BTC or BCH which is now worth less. Who knows though, just speculation.

This.

First of all it is disgraceful for them not to pay out when they say they will (in black and white in their terms and conditions) for no apparent reason, with no compensation. Look up the meaning of 'time value of money' (regardless of whether the market is going up or down)

Second, I want my BCH/BTC in a falling market paid out quickly so I can cash out daily at the higher rate before it falls. You won't find them doing this in a rising market I'd wager.

Third, as has been posted above, it gives them the option to cash out at a higher price, wait several days then they can buy them back at a lower market rate and pay them to you then. Profit to them

Maybe I'm ignorant as you say, but I'd rather not have any of those things happen to me while I'm running a farm.
kobo_eth

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 02:08:22 PM

Up to the moderators to decide if this is offtopic or not (although I find it quite interesting), but can you imagine what amount these guys could have mined if they didnt get arrested...
Long story short, scientists arrested, trying to use a Russian super-computer for mining bitcoins Smiley

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43003740

castiel0504

Activity: 266
Merit: 109

Ultra Mega Giga Super Cool Flying Oposum!

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 04:02:04 PM

IF you can buy it NOW for reasonable price it and use it its good. But network is SO saturated, that buying now and waiting for 2 months it looks so silly Sad
FatnSlo

Activity: 27

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 05:06:13 PM

We ordered 10 S9's this week from Bitmain and paid in USD wire transfer. Now Bitmain comes back and says we shorted them $30 (we did not). To pay them this $30 will costs us even more in transfer fees than the $30. We offered to by more units and pay the $30 then, but now they are ignoring us.
Now we worry they will cancel the whole order and then we will lose out even more when they transfer the money back.

Has anyone had an experience like this with Bitmain and what was their solution?
kobo_eth

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 05:54:08 PM

We ordered 10 S9's this week from Bitmain and paid in USD wire transfer. Now Bitmain comes back and says we shorted them $30 (we did not). To pay them this $30 will costs us even more in transfer fees than the $30. We offered to by more units and pay the $30 then, but now they are ignoring us.
Now we worry they will cancel the whole order and then we will lose out even more when they transfer the money back.

Has anyone had an experience like this with Bitmain and what was their solution?

By keeping an eye on this thread, I have read about this little "issue" with USD wires, so when I ordered my 2 machines, I just wired 10 USD more (to be on the safe side).
As to what you can do to mitigate, I am sure some of the guys who had stumbled upon that, transferred the missing sum in bitcoin cash and Bitmain accepted. Ask Bitmain if they would do the same for you.

ricknamer

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 05:57:50 PM

They won't - they aren't that shady - it'll just take some time for a response.

Same thing happened to me when I ordered on Jan 14 - it was resolved by Feb 4 - yes a long time...but resolved.

Offer to pay the $30 difference with BCH.  They will accommodate that sometimes.
kenji

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 06:36:34 PM

Whenever I order I transfer a few extra dollars than asked for, even on top of fees for transferring money to China, to be sure all goes smoothly.

Bitmain is not Amazon who will hold your hand and give you a refund and tell you everything will be ok. Short them a couple dollars and your order worth tens of thousands is screwed up. Sending them a few extra dollars is a small price to pay to be sure all goes smoothly in my opinion.
kenji

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 08:30:00 PM

Whenever I order I transfer a few extra dollars than asked for, even on top of fees for transferring money to China, to be sure all goes smoothly.

Bitmain is not Amazon who will hold your hand and give you a refund and tell you everything will be ok. Short them a couple dollars and your order worth tens of thousands is screwed up. Sending them a few extra dollars is a small price to pay to be sure all goes smoothly in my opinion.

I just finished dealing with this issue I had with a couple orders. Send them an email to support ASAP if you want the order to be paid as soon as possible. For each individual order they will give you individual BCH wallet addresses with corresponding BCH amounts to send funds to. They will use the exchange rate as it was at the time your wire went through. If you go under your orders and click on them they will show exactly what they received (they don't need to provide any proof of course lol). It is strange that they are coming up with this "extra $25 fee for each wire you send"... Before I had an order that was short $5USD and they let it slide and did not ask me for a BCH transfer.

Good to hear that it all worked out, I can't imagine the process being that smooth if you don't try to contact them asap.
FatnSlo

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 08:36:25 PM

I just finished dealing with this issue I had with a couple orders. Send them an email to support ASAP if you want the order to be paid as soon as possible. For each individual order they will give you individual BCH wallet addresses with corresponding BCH amounts to send funds to. They will use the exchange rate as it was at the time your wire went through. If you go under your orders and click on them they will show exactly what they received (they don't need to provide any proof of course lol). It is strange that they are coming up with this "extra $25 fee for each wire you send"... Before I had an order that was short $5USD and they let it slide and did not ask me for a BCH transfer.

Thanks for all the comments. The problem with that is we don't have any BCH. We just wanted to deal in USD.
kenji

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 08:45:16 PM

Thanks for all the comments. The problem with that is we don't have any BCH. We just wanted to deal in USD.

I would really get cracking on setting up accounts with exchanges that allow quick deposits into... Don't know where you are but in Canada it takes weeks and weeks to get verified by any of the major exchanges that will permit you FIAT deposits and withdrawals.

Any that you would suggest?
blevotron

Activity: 226

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:43:01 PM

As I know, in S3 and above this temperature limit can be switched off only. But if I needed it must reduce to 55-65 degrees C, is it possible?
Then I could turn off the fan and it would be quiet in rooms. It would be nice customizable.
FatnSlo

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 09:45:00 PM

Any good recommendations for BCH exchanges in the USA we could use in the future to buy from Bitmain?
HoleShot

Activity: 70
Merit: 34

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 10:01:14 PM

GDAX
Mousem40

Activity: 37

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 11:14:43 PM

They are dumping their entire stock of anything S9 related. I doubt very much they'll care about a few dollars.
kenji

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 11:18:37 PM

They are dumping their entire stock of anything S9 related. I doubt very much they'll care about a few dollars.

They do, because they can.
ajaycthomas

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2018, 02:26:45 AM

Hello

I have 34 * s9 currently available at reykjavik iceland. in a data center. its working and currently mining.

if anybody interested i am ready to sell.

Whatsapp me at +44 745271 8805
BTC/USD/Cash
Pages: « 1 ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 [316] 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 »
  Print  

Jump to: