Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:25:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reputation and game theory  (Read 4980 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 08:56:56 AM

Perhaps now is the time to discuss actual implementation of a reputation system. As it stand, a German scammer probably got away with some bitcoins.

I thik we might just make it simple :  a database of evaluations of market participants.  It doesn't have to be decentralised.  Google will do the job.  Here is how I see it.

All participants should be identified by a GPG public key.  Once a trade is successful, both participants should sign and publish a message such as :

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On October, 23th 2010, I made a commercial transaction with a person whose public GPG key was IDXXXXXX.
The transaction was done without any problem.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkywLWsACgkQq17371C4DmjLUgCgvBAPXJg/mdv4PemxBRgHZ+iw
qnUAoI+bt6Nt7FG+3H/lDe9qEb4wWN0H
=rop/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

I'll do this kind of things on my site (http://grondilu.freeshell.org/bitXmetal.html)

Google robots would collect all those informations, so that one could have a fairly large amount of report from any GPG ID key.

It wouldn't be perfect, but it would do the job not so bad I think.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 11:02:55 AM

99% of the population don't have the skills or understanding to generate and use a GPG key.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2010, 11:12:16 AM

99% of the population don't have the skills or understanding to use a PC.

Used to be the case. And there is going to be much higher than 1% competence in the current bitcoin community. And this solution doesn't have to be the ultimate one anyway.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 05:54:15 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2010, 07:23:02 PM by SmokeTooMuch

On October, 23th 2010, I made a commercial transaction with a person whose public GPG key was IDXXXXXX.

=rop/
What prevents me from generating 10 GPG keys, publish a message with the first 9 that there was a successful trade with number 10 (and in the opposite direction) and then scam people with my 10th account which now has a fake reputation ?

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 08:13:07 PM

=rop/
What prevents me from generating 10 GPG keys, publish a message with the first 9 that there was a successful trade with number 10 (and in the opposite direction) and then scam people with my 10th account which now has a fake reputation ?

Nothing,,but it might look suspicious if the 9 GPG key are referenced by only one source.

SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 12:39:12 AM

I can cross-reference all 10 of the accounts.
Your approach seems like a good idea but I think it isnt the last word on the subject.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Dennis

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2010, 09:17:33 PM

Google peer-to-peer or p2p reputation systems and you'll see it's an active area of research, with all kinds of sophisticated schemes in development.

I don't think there's any need for the bitcoin project to get directly involved, any more than the Fed is involved in credit bureaus or the FTC. It's pretty interesting stuff though...
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 12, 2010, 09:19:44 PM

Google peer-to-peer or p2p reputation systems and you'll see it's an active area of research, with all kinds of sophisticated schemes in development.

I don't think there's any need for the bitcoin project to get directly involved, any more than the Fed is involved in credit bureaus or the FTC. It's pretty interesting stuff though...

Bitcoiners, however, have an interest in reputation system because it is directly applicable to the bitcoin economy. We have no court and police, but the reputation of men.

Dennis

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 13, 2010, 01:26:05 PM

True. Mainly what I'm saying is, make it a separate project, and get up to speed first on the literature, which is a lot more advanced than anything being discussed in this thread. (I'm not up to speed either, I've just skimmed.)
harley4noble

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 18, 2010, 10:16:34 AM

I understand the concept of Bitcoin but please tell me how to make use of it and what are its  applications ?
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2010, 10:28:12 AM

I understand the concept of Bitcoin but please tell me how to make use of it and what are its  applications ?

Bitcoin will have many uses when it gains a little age. Unlimited free (or close to it) electronic transactions worldwide. No third party to simply take a chunk for themselves.

A WORLDWIDE currency system. No US Dollar or British Pound. No exchange fee for currencies. The securities of a bank with much better privacy to go along with it.

You'll be able to use it to buy things just like paypal. Subscriptions, services, electronics. Anything you want from gold to paper plates. Pay friends with a click of a button, no fee and the utmost security.  When bitcoin gains more portability, you'll be able to "bump" phones or similar to exchange contact info and trade bitcoins through your phone (which you can already do anyways with mybitcoin.com).

The possibilities are endless. Anything you use real money for, you will be able to use bitcoins for.

I would recommend getting involved as soon as possible to get as much benefits as possible. Give it more time to blossom before you see the overall benefits.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2010, 12:47:41 PM

I understand the concept of Bitcoin but please tell me how to make use of it and what are its  applications ?

Well, you can buy some stuffs with it.  Go to http://grondilu.freeshell.org/bitXmetal.html for instance.  You can buy gold and silver there Wink

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
October 18, 2010, 04:11:59 PM

Harley4noble is a spam bot...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 19, 2010, 01:03:10 AM

I recommend that you take a little more care about protecting your identity.  I would suggest removing the photo and your real life address, at a minimum.

Kids these days....

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: