Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:28:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: technical update in non-technical terms  (Read 1210 times)
mpkomara (OP)

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2010, 09:35:51 PM

There's a small divide growing in the bitcoin community between the group of skilled developers who generate the majority of the coins and the rest of the users (like me).  I notice there's lots of talk about Tahoe-LAFS, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know what's really happening or how it might affect the future of bitcoin.  Anyone out there want to go over the latest in bitcoin tech talk but do it in simple language? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 19, 2010, 12:27:09 AM

There's a small divide growing in the bitcoin community between the group of skilled developers who generate the majority of the coins and the rest of the users (like me).  I notice there's lots of talk about Tahoe-LAFS, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know what's really happening or how it might affect the future of bitcoin.  Anyone out there want to go over the latest in bitcoin tech talk but do it in simple language? 

The Tahone-LAFS debate isn't about Bitcoin per se. 

Really, there are two topics that are related here...

First is the debate about establishing a Tahone-LAFS cloud among Bitcoin users for encrypted, off-site storage of their wallet.dat files.  Sort of like trading network shared drives on each other's machines; but using Tahone-LAFS would permit the participants to automaticly encrypt and trade with some RAID-like benefits.

And second, there is a discussion of using Bitcoin as part of a p2p filesharing system to pay for bandwidth consumption, etc., for the hosting machines instead of the more common upload/download ratio limitations. 

It's more complicated than that, but that's the basic idea.  Either way, it's not a debate that would affect Bitcoin development in any negative way.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Anonymous

October 19, 2010, 02:08:52 AM

I think it boils down to the fact unless you have a powerful computer or gpu it is pointless to generate. What is needed are more ways to earn btc for performing human actions. For instance Amazons Mechanical turk, The bitcoin Faucet, Pay it Forward and bitcoinmedia where you can earn btc for writing a blog post,making a video or creating a funny photoshop related to bitcoin.

Im a little surprised no one has taken the offer up yet....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: