Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 02:07:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe wallet for a newbie  (Read 7187 times)
newcoins1978

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 12:34:10 AM

Yeah, don't use coinbase if you plan on using any bitcoin for gambling. It's against their ToS and they may freeze your account.
Yes indeed lately they are also very hard with their rules they are freezing your account without warnings.
Plus I also have heard that someone even did not gamble and has its account frozen...
Viyamore

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:16:29 AM

I am reading the forum daily and am registered here a few days ago.
What do you people suggest for a safe wallet for a newbie, I am not that tech guy , just the average joe with computers.
I have read that Blockchain.info is one of the best wallets, but I have also read that there are a lot of other wallets that they call local wallets like Bitcoin core Multibit Electrum and Armory also phone wallets. Which is one you can sleep safe at night ?

I would suggest to for you to use wallets like xapo,coinbase and blockchain to try on (coinbase is not applicable for now) so the best to use is blockchain ,this is the safest online wallet .then if you already know you may try on hardware wallets it is costly but worth it to store any private keys to make sure that your bitcoin are safe even online wallets breaks down.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████
  ████   ▄█▀   █████    ██ ▀▄█▀▄▄▀█ ▀▄▀█▀▄▀ █▀█ ▀▄██████
   ▀███▄▄   ▄█▄ ▀▀     ███ █ █ ▄▄▄█  █ █ █  █ █ ██████▀
     ▀██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████▄█▄██▄▄██ █▄███▄█▄█▄█▄████▀
        ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀██████████████████████████████▀▀
                 ▀▀▀██████████████████▀▀▀
      ..Powered by..
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
|
|
|
|

▀██▄       ▀████▄
▄    ▀██          ▀██▄
██▄ ▄███         ▄█████▄▄
 ▀███████▄     ▄██▀ ▀▀████
      ▀████▄ ▄██▀     ▀█▀
        ▀████▄
        ▄█▀████▄
      ▄███▄▀▀████▄
    ▄████▀    ▀████▄
  ▄████▀        ▀██▀█▄
  ▀██▀            ▀██▀
402blownstroker

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 01:36:30 AM

I would recommend using Armory.
isen

Activity: 854

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 02:21:49 AM

blockchain,xapo and coinbase are safe and easy to use wallets for a newbie use them for a few days and see which is the better for you.Later when you collect more bitcoins i recommend a hardware wallet like ledger for example.
ravens

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 02:24:27 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2016, 02:37:26 AM by ravens

Any one of them will keep your bitcoins safe. You just have to choose the ones that works best for you and do your research.

▄ ▀ ▄ ▀   LET'S THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE   ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄
●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●   WhyFuture.com   ●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●
A Blog That Discusses About Artificial Intelligence, The Future, Ethics on AI, and more
wintermeasures

Activity: 322

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 02:30:30 AM

What do you people suggest for a safe wallet for a newbie, I am not that tech guy , just the average joe with computers.
I have read that Blockchain.info is one of the best wallets, but I have also read that there are a lot of other wallets that they call local wallets like Bitcoin core Multibit Electrum and Armory also phone wallets. Which is one you can sleep safe at night ?

I personally use bitcoin wallet from blockchain, online or mobile phone. Why blockchains.info? because it is convinced about their security. but if you want another legit wallet, you can go to https://www.bitcoin.com/choose-your-wallet . thank you
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2016, 03:23:15 AM
Last edit: June 03, 2016, 04:46:35 AM by bitkilo

As a newbie I would recommend you to still use the blockchain wallet because its maybe online its very safe due to the fact it has 2 way verification.
Blockchain.info IS an online wallet.

Don't put full faith in 2fa, although it is a nice feature it is not a fail safe for bitcoin theft.
When using 2fa use an app on your phone like Google authenticator or Authy instead of email.

I would recommend the Mycelium wallet to a bitcoin newbie.

bitcoineverything

Activity: 504

InvestnTrade. Latest from the crypto space.

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2016, 04:21:20 AM

I use blockchain.info and I would suggest it. A lot of people I know use it and they recommend it for newbies. They say it is safe and easy to use. Smiley

We are here to give you all the latest from the Cryptocurrency space!
Btcoiner1

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 05:03:42 AM

Yeah, don't use coinbase if you plan on using any bitcoin for gambling. It's against their ToS and they may freeze your account.

Definitely don't go directly from Coinbase/Circle to any gambling site. That's just asking to have your account closed.

If you're going to be doing any gambling, I recommend using an intermediate wallet. For example, buy from Circle/Coinbase and then send to Electrum/Blockchain wallet/whatever, then send to the gambling site.

When you cash out from a gambling site, be sure to use an intermediate wallet before cashing out through Circle or Coinbase. For example, gambling site>Blockchain wallet>Circle/Coinbase.

I've used this method dozens of times without any issues whatsoever.
Cybertron00

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 05:08:34 AM

Man what country are you from? if your from philippines or you have some relatives living in the philippines use coins.ph. This wallet is secure and I guarantee it's safety. You can also trade it to fiat easily and claim the money easily to money sending companies. You can also use it to buy airtime for you phone.  Grin
Bitinity
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1314

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 05:42:32 AM

Depends on your needs buddy, if you want to store a big amount of bitcoin so I recommend you to use offline wallet such as multibit or bitcoincore. For small transaction maybe you can use xapo which has no fee iirc, but dont forget to always use 2fa.
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2016, 05:56:07 AM

All reputable online wallet has a security features so are the offline desktop wallet,you just need to know how to secure access of those wallet ,you need to keep your pass phrase or walle.dat in a very safe place knowledge is power especially in storing your bitcoin or altcoins..

Babayega31

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Cryptocurrency Wallet - Denaro.io

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 05:57:50 AM

Depends on what country are you on but mostly for us filipinos we used coins.ph because it is convenient and the only wallet we can use here without hassle and so it have many feature like buying load, mol points, steam and no fee when cash out. And also coins.ph i safe wallet provider for us filipino and we can carry it anywhere since it have app  based version.

wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 07:34:54 AM

See if you want to do very quick transaction and do not want to get in the hassle of synchronizing the wallet again and again then I would suggest blockchain.info wallet. Else bitcoin core is best if you are available with more disk spaces and ~70 GB bandwidth.
rinhunter

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 08:18:33 AM

Blockchain.info just enough because most newbie don't store big amount and don't forget to activate 2FA that the more secure your wallet.
Jasad
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1002

= jasad =

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 09:57:34 AM

For newbie,i think Blockchain now have more friendly services,they sometime change deposite address,and have better apperence. coinbase also good for newbie,and xapo,and that all online wallet,and for dekstop wallet,its good option if you pick Electrum,multibit or Armory,they all safe and secure if you carefully set up the security.
Cyaren

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:00:22 AM

Yep, blockchain.info is one of the best online wallet providers because you can actually access your own private key, as opposed to Coinbase or Xapo. But Coinbase and Xapo pay the transaction fees for you, which is great as well.

If you wanna have a complete peace of mind, go for cold storage. Paper wallets are the safest. Encrypt them with BIP38 if possible.
cluit
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:01:08 AM

The bitcoin core wallet is the best one ever for anyone, reason being sites which are online can turn scam any day but the core wallet cannot, because its not run by 3rd parties.
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 10:12:43 AM

For a newbie I would recommend electrum, you can read all about it here at
www.electrum.org then go to the help section, it has an extensive help section that covers everything the user needs to know and it covers them in details.

Just a reminder, before installing any desktop or local wallet like electrum make sure your PC is safe from malware and if possible use the Linux environment as its a big plus to security.
In the end depends all on the user how secure or how safe his wallet is.
Nomercyforthedirty (OP)

Activity: 78

View Profile
June 03, 2016, 12:02:09 PM

A lot of replies and a really responseful community , thank you for your ideas, after reading through here decided to go for Multibit HD , I heard is being bought from a hardware wallet company so they must make it even more secure and I like the fact that it hiddes a lot of things from me. Just installed it, but thinking also to switch to a safer OS but not ready for this step yet.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: