Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:19:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I Prefer to Trade BTC/USD at BitFloor instead of MtGox  (Read 3913 times)
EuSouBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 12:59:27 PM

I trade BTC/USD at both BitFloor and MtGox but I prefer to trade at BitFloor. Why?

1) It's a lot cheaper. BitFloor takes 0.3% of each trade as a fee. Mt Gox takes between 0.5% and 1.2% of each trade. That's a big difference. Depending on your style of trading the difference can be even more. For example, if you are a liquidity provider Mt Gox charges you between 0.25% and 0.6% see
https://mtgox.com/fee-schedule
compared to BitFloor who PAYS YOU 0.1% see
https://bitfloor.com/docs/
This is a huge.

2) It's faster and cheaper to deposit and withdraw USD at BitFloor. I use Capital One 360 P2P to deposit USD to BitFloor. P2P is free and faster than Dwolla which Mt Gox uses. For USD withdrawals BitFloor offers free withdrawals to my checking account via ACH. Again faster and cheaper than Dwolla.

Join me at BitFloor and let's keep more of our BTC and USD instead of giving it to Mt Gox.

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 07:51:42 AM

What is their verification of users like, do they allow "anonymous" trading?

EuSouBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:56:06 PM

You can deposit and withdraw BTC anonymously. You can deposit cash USD anonymously. But the only withdrawal method is ACH so they will know the bank account that you withdraw your USD to. For their privacy policy see

For any specific questions I suggest you email BitFloor support at
support@bitfloor.com

You can't win if you don't play. But you can't play if you lose all your chips. First I found bitcoin (BTC). Then I found something better, Monero (XMR). See GetMonero.org
EuSouBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:17:45 AM

Another reason why I prefer BitFloor to MtGox is evident during this volatile period. At BitFloor my orders are entered quickly whereas at Mt Gox my order sits in pending for several minutes before it becomes active. Score 1 more for BitFloor.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:55:40 PM

How are new users affected from their hack fiasco? If I'm a new user, are my funds getting frozen too?

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
RandomQ

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:14:17 PM

You can deposit and withdraw BTC anonymously. You can deposit cash USD anonymously. But the only withdrawal method is ACH so they will know the bank account that you withdraw your USD to. For their privacy policy see

For any specific questions I suggest you email BitFloor support at
support@bitfloor.com

No on the anonymous cash deposit, says right there I will provide a government id if requested
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 01:43:29 AM

I trade BTC/USD at both BitFloor and MtGox but I prefer to trade at BitFloor. Why?

1) It's a lot cheaper. BitFloor takes 0.3% of each trade as a fee. Mt Gox takes between 0.5% and 1.2% of each trade. That's a big difference. Depending on your style of trading the difference can be even more. For example, if you are a liquidity provider Mt Gox charges you between 0.25% and 0.6% see
This is a huge.

2) It's faster and cheaper to deposit and withdraw USD at BitFloor. I use Capital One 360 P2P to deposit USD to BitFloor. P2P is free and faster than Dwolla which Mt Gox uses. For USD withdrawals BitFloor offers free withdrawals to my checking account via ACH. Again faster and cheaper than Dwolla.

Join me at BitFloor and let's keep more of our BTC and USD instead of giving it to Mt Gox.

I am amazed Bitfloor operates at all when they owe their users 25000 BTC.  Are you an owner or investor in Bitfloor?  I see you posting topics like this every week or so.
EuSouBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 02:31:10 AM

This is a huge.

I am amazed Bitfloor operates at all when they owe their users 25000 BTC.  Are you an owner or investor in Bitfloor?  I see you posting topics like this every week or so.

No, I'm not an ownerr or investor in BitFloor. I just like BitFloor. If you want to call me a fanboy then I plead guilty as charged.

davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:56:45 AM

If there was active communication from shtylman, I would consider trading on bitfloor again.  It would be nice to know that an effort is being made to repay more funds. I'm not saying there isn't an effort being made, but no correspondence from the founder in over a month is discouraging.
EuSouBitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:43:20 PM

If there was active communication from shtylman, I would consider trading on bitfloor again.  It would be nice to know that an effort is being made to repay more funds. I'm not saying there isn't an effort being made, but no correspondence from the founder in over a month is discouraging.

I agree. It's been 3 months since the first BTC re-payment in early December. Another BTC payment, even if small, would go a long way toward restoring peoples' confidence in BitFloor. Actions speak louder than words.

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 08:59:44 PM

Exactly.  And this is why I will conduct no transactions at Bitfloor until there is resolution of the held coins issue.  I like the platform and the service, but at this point it seems he is using the 'held' coins as a fiction to allow his operation to continue.

At the current rate of return it will take 30 years to see the stolen coins returned.  And that return is decreasing.

Now if Roman were to offer transaction fees to be billed against the held coins, plus release of an equal amount of coins into the active pool, I would have a reason to do business at bitfloor again.
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 09:08:57 PM

Bitfloor has made about $5k in fees since the last payout. I'm not sure if hes been buying bitcoins as we go or waiting for a dip or what. A steady flow of coins would be much more confidence inducing.
Grover

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:37:08 AM

n00b here suggesting anyone who wants to go BTC/USD go to bitfloor and clear the board down to $43.88.  If I had BTC I would.  There are no fees on ACH.

Disclaimer: My buy is at 43.88, just a small little 2n change BTC.  Wink
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:15:17 AM

If they gladly talked about the steps they are taking to be more security I would gladly trade on them, but a hack really doesn't sit well with me, even if they are trying pay back users affected.
Grover

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

I was thinking Stay Puft, but Gozer said Grover

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:41:27 AM

Do y'all mean hacked like this?

Bitcoin market hacked, crashes to below $0.01 per bitcoin
http://www.neowin.net/news/bitcoin-market-crashes---drops-below-001-per-bitcoin-due-to-hack

Bitcoin, the digital currency that some people have called "dangerous", has just had a major setback today thanks to a significant data breach.

The main Bitcoin exchange, Mt. Gox, has suffered a major database breach which caused one account in particular to be completely compromised and have its funds stolen. The real implication of this was the effect it had on the Bitcoin market - this video shows the market in real time dropping to values below 1 cent in a matter of minutes as people frantically try to remove their funds. Due to the significance of this hack, the entire Bitcoin market is being reset. This is what Mt. Gox had to say -

"The bitcoin will be back to around 17.5$/BTC after we rollback all trades that have happened after the huge Bitcoin sale that happened on June 20th near 3:00am (JST).

One account with a lot of coins was compromised and whoever stole it (using a HK based IP to login) first sold all the coins in there, to buy those again just after, and then tried to withdraw the coins. The $1000/day withdraw limit was active for this account and the hacker could only get out with $1000 worth of coins.

Maybe not an outright theft of many people's accounts but sure seems to have puckered the BTC market when it happened.

For the anonymous part, I went and deposited cash in bitfloor today and no one asked me for my ID.

I'm pretty sure bitfloor has that line (show ID if asked) on their site to keep from being harassed by "The Man".

If you do not want to show your ID then don't show it, leave.

But for Heaven's sakes someone go to bitfloor and enjoy a lot of above MtGox market prices at the moment when converting BTC/USD.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 12:37:06 PM

How are new users affected from their hack fiasco? If I'm a new user, are my funds getting frozen too?

No.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: