Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:41:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US Senate drafting anti Bitcoin law  (Read 2260 times)
wizer (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:04:00 PM

Is this for real? haven't seen this news anywhere else yet

found on Google News
http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=8070

EDIT: the google news results says 'satire' next to the news source. So maybe a false alarm

Tribble Ad Agency (satire) - ‎4 hours ago‎

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mmdough

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:09:36 PM

Uh.

They don't really even pretend to cite any sources, do they? They could have at least credited an anonymous informer in one of the Senators' offices.

And has anyone else heard of this site they link? Doesn't seem like much of a 'rallying point' to me.

I call scam. Trying to build on fears of crackdown to accept donations through phony site.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 09:14:00 PM

No it's 1000% true.... Tribble Agency breaks news faster than most news sources... hence labled satire because some of it turns out to be only half the story.

But yes it's true... look.

http://wnflam.com/news/articles/2011/jun/08/senators-seek-crackdown-on-bitcoin-currency/

and

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20070268-17/senators-target-bitcoin-currency-citing-drug-sales/

and

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/08/bitcoin_under_attack/

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Freakin

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:18:54 PM

Lol no way this is close to true (yet).  I think it's just a ruse to direct people to inflation.me and solicit donations.  It referred to that site as the "central rallying point"

The articles you linked stated what we already knew, that the senators were talking loudly about getting silk road shut down but there has been absolutely 0 confirmation that there is any legislation being drafted.

In addition, they would have an uphill battle declaring bitcoins to be a "currency" and that only the government has the right to coin. 

Article is total BS
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:19:28 PM

No legislation is pending or has been introduced.  None will be for weeks or months.  Nothing to see here.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:20:59 PM

The letter is about SILK ROAD.

Because they sell DRUGS.

People just re-phrase it to be against Bitcoin. I never read they wanted to do anything against Bitcoin, or TOR, which were both mentioned as explanation, but nothing more.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:21:18 PM

Regardless the currency is under attack. Inflation.Me has become the central rallying point to save the online currency. The site is accepting bitcoin donations..

Seriously?

No it's 1000% true.... Tribble Agency breaks news faster than most news sources... hence labled satire because some of it turns out to be only half the story.

Asking the DEA to shut down Silk Road is pretty different to drafting an anti-bitcoin law that makes all transactions illegal.
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 09:22:34 PM

i wish this were true, it will make bitcoin MUCH MUCH more popular

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
mmdough

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:23:09 PM

No legislation is pending or has been introduced.  None will be for weeks or months.  Nothing to see here.

+1
Drifter

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:24:00 PM

Inflation.Me has become the central rallying point to save the online currency. The site is accepting bitcoin donations..

Huh? I never even heard of this site until now.

Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:26:57 PM

The senators said nothing about getting rid of Bitcoin itself, just Silk Road. The article titles are misleading. Even if they do find some poor excuse to crack down on Bitcoin, all they can do is shut down the exchanges. An anonymized exchange would solve this problem.
Grant

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:28:31 PM

Here's anotherone from a reliable source...

Breaking news, Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder and Drug Enforcement Administration Administrator Michele Leonhart urging them to shut down the internet, because it enables an underground website that links anonymous drug users with anonymous drug sellers.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:29:01 PM

Inflation.Me has become the central rallying point to save the online currency. The site is accepting bitcoin donations..

Huh? I never even heard of this site until now.

Me neither. Seems like an ad.
mmdough

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:31:15 PM

Here's anotherone from a reliable source...

Breaking news, Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder and Drug Enforcement Administration Administrator Michele Leonhart urging them to shut down the internet, because it enables an underground website that links anonymous drug users with anonymous drug sellers.

Holy shit!

RELIABLE

Please link me to a website fighting this, I would like to send them bitcoins and my unborn children.
freespirit

Activity: 183

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:35:05 PM

This is bound to happen.
The only way to fight this is more exchanges with bank accounts around the world and more shops/services/etc accepting/paying out bitcoins.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:56:58 PM

This is bound to happen.
The only way to fight this is more exchanges with bank accounts around the world and more shops/services/etc accepting/paying out bitcoins.

Exactly. The bigger a distributed network becomes, the deeper it permeates society, the harder it is to kill.
delafield

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 08:02:09 PM

The sky is not falling, but consider this:

"Schumer's top nine campaign contributors are all financial institutions who have contributed over $2.5 million to the senator."
"The Securities and Investment industry is the largest donor to Schumer’s senatorial campaigns."

Source: Wikipedia. Is Schumer really concerned about some drugs being sold? Uhhh, no. Is Schumer concerned about the rise of a new system of exchanging value that cuts out his largest donors? More likely. In the letter, the Senators do go out of their way to demonize bitcoin when they didn't have to. This is not a surprise because Senator Schumer is from New York, the center of the financial business in the US.

Legislation is very slow, however. By the time anything happens on the hill, Bitcoin will hopefully be well past stoppable. And, there are interests that will try to block any such legislation. The increased attention received by bicoin may actually help the project.

Regards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: