Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:24:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sell, sell, sell The hack of Bitcoin 2013 again  (Read 2934 times)
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:35:09 PM

We posted full details of the incident here:
http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2013/3/4/events-of-friday-bitinstant-back-online.html

Nobody to date has managed to actually break into any of our systems, this was a vulnerability at our domain registrar and sadly there was not a lot we could have done other than choosing another registrar - which is something we will be doing as soon as possible, most likely within the next week we'll start moving.

Just curious, since this was 100% the domain registrar's fault, do they compensate you for the loss?

In an ideal world they would, there's a possibility we could hold them liable but i'd not want to comment on that either way without taking legal advice first.

What was the ToS and what is the law in the country the company is based in? Don't repeat Bitcoinica's, Slush's and others' mistakes IIRC they didn't try to recover the money (almost a quarter of a million $) via legal routes.

Signature space available for rent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2119

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:46:33 PM

I haven't heard the full details but once you have control of a domain name, there's a lot you can do. If you can reset or recover your password with an email, if someone gets the domain, they can redirect all email to that domain to their own mail server. Et voila, they're in. If your site doesn't use HTTPS (and possibly even if it does), there are man-in-the-middle attacks.

It's even not terribly hard to take control of a domain name even without social engineering. Typically, most registrars just require a copy of your DL on company headed notepaper and some trivial other stuff. I've had to do it for domains that were legitimately our company's several times.

Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:47:00 PM

We posted full details of the incident here:
http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2013/3/4/events-of-friday-bitinstant-back-online.html

Nobody to date has managed to actually break into any of our systems, this was a vulnerability at our domain registrar and sadly there was not a lot we could have done other than choosing another registrar - which is something we will be doing as soon as possible, most likely within the next week we'll start moving.

Just curious, since this was 100% the domain registrar's fault, do they compensate you for the loss?

In an ideal world they would, there's a possibility we could hold them liable but i'd not want to comment on that either way without taking legal advice first.

What was the ToS and what is the law in the country the company is based in? Don't repeat Bitcoinica's, Slush's and others' mistakes IIRC they didn't try to recover the money (almost a quarter of a million $) via legal routes.

Again, not commenting either way until seeking legal advice, customers aren't affected by this so it's not as high priority as it would be if we'd lost customer funds. Basically, it's BitInstant that takes the hit, not our clients.
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:52:33 PM

I haven't heard the full details but once you have control of a domain name, there's a lot you can do. If you can reset or recover your password with an email, if someone gets the domain, they can redirect all email to that domain to their own mail server. Et voila, they're in. If your site doesn't use HTTPS (and possibly even if it does), there are man-in-the-middle attacks.

It's even not terribly hard to take control of a domain name even without social engineering. Typically, most registrars just require a copy of your DL on company headed notepaper and some trivial other stuff. I've had to do it for domains that were legitimately our company's several times.

Though with that said, security really shouldn't depend on DNS if it's being done properly. I'd be interested to hear what the actual method of attack was just to see if it's one I've heard of.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:11:27 PM

Though with that said, security really shouldn't depend on DNS if it's being done properly. I'd be interested to hear what the actual method of attack was just to see if it's one I've heard of.

Agreed though it wasn't BitInstant's security which was compromised it was VirWox.

VirWox WTF are you thinking?   It is 2013.   Implement 2FA on your exchange or shut down.  Period.   
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:12:01 PM

Again, not commenting either way until seeking legal advice, customers aren't affected by this so it's not as high priority as it would be if we'd lost customer funds. Basically, it's BitInstant that takes the hit, not our clients.

Well, if you DO manage to regain the lost money let us know on the forums and how you did it, it might be useful to some.

Signature space available for rent.
Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:40:43 PM

Comment from Site5

Hi everyone,

We conducted a full investigation internally and this in no way was due to any slip in our security. The only reason the attacker was able to add an email and take over this account was because they knew the two answers to the security questions on this account. They did not receive that information from us in anyway. We take security very seriously and have stringent safe guards in place to prevent social engineering.

Here is our public post as well with details:
http://www.site5.com/blog/s5/security-and-social-engineering/20130307/

Please let me know if you have any questions,
Thanks, Ben
CEO at Site5

I guess it only takes 2 security questions to gain access. Is this typical for site registrar's? I would think something as important as a business website would be protected by more then 2 questions.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:53:22 PM

Comment from Site5

Hi everyone,

We conducted a full investigation internally and this in no way was due to any slip in our security. The only reason the attacker was able to add an email and take over this account was because they knew the two answers to the security questions on this account. They did not receive that information from us in anyway. We take security very seriously and have stringent safe guards in place to prevent social engineering.

Here is our public post as well with details:
http://www.site5.com/blog/s5/security-and-social-engineering/20130307/

Please let me know if you have any questions,
Thanks, Ben
CEO at Site5

I guess it only takes 2 security questions to gain access. Is this typical for site registrar's? I would think something as important as a business website would be protected by more then 2 questions.

Security questions are about the dumbest kind of "security enhancement" out there. Especially when they are used as a way to get around a password (I can keep a password secret, I can't keep my mother's maiden name secret and any question which isn't public record is probably easily findable (favorite authors, bands etc) or has been used on a dozen other sites). It's like the people implementing security out there (or at least the people in charge of them) are sheep, only able to consider and adopt the latest fad non-security measure and not able to sit down, read some papers and comprehend and work things from the ground up.

DAMMIT THESE ARE SOLVED PROBLEMS, PEOPLE!!!

Sorry for the rant.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:04:27 PM

Goes to show how competent Site5 is.
This is seriously not BitInstants fault

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:13:51 PM

This was explained in the blog post but essentially they redirected emails to a server under their control and got sent a password reset link.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: