Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:09:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road profits affecting price?  (Read 3426 times)
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:53:00 AM

Severian: Ok, 5 years ago if you wanted to sell stolen credit card information on the internet, how do you get paid?

Credit card thieves might use credit cards. Just a hunch.

Bitcoin may bring out every two-bit grifter that's walking the earth but it's still chump change compared to the fraud perpetrated by the Fiat Gang. I believe you're straining at a gnat by worrying about the fraud in Bitcoin when a much larger one is being pulled on all of us while being marketed as "economic policy".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
haitispaceagency

Activity: 252

Coinlancer.io ICO | Oct 14th

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:07:35 AM

Severian: Ok, 5 years ago if you wanted to sell stolen credit card information on the internet, how do you get paid?

Credit card thieves might use credit cards. Just a hunch.

Bitcoin may bring out every two-bit grifter that's walking the earth but it's still chump change compared to the fraud perpetrated by the Fiat Gang. I believe you're straining at a gnat by worrying about the fraud in Bitcoin when a much larger one is being pulled on all of us while being marketed as "economic policy".
u wot m8

▄████▄
          ██  ██
 ▄▄▄▄     ▀████▀     ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██     ▄▄▄▄     ██▀▀██
██▄▄███▄▄██▀▀▀▀██▄▄███▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀ ▀██▀▄████ ▀██▀ ▀▀▀▀
      ██ ██     ██
 ▄▄▄▄  ██▄▀████ ▄██  ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██▀▀██
██▄▄██     ▀██▀     ██▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀     ▄████▄     ▀▀▀▀
          ██  ██
         ▀████▀
Coinlancer
         ▄▄████████▄▄
      ▄▄████████████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████████▄
  ████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████▄
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████▀
  █████████████████████████
  ▀███████████████████████▀
   ▀█████████████████████▀
      ▀▀████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀████████▀▀
CL
WHITEPAPER         ANN THREAD
Coinlancer
FACEBOOK     TWITTER     MEDIUM     TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
!!
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:24:22 AM

You have my hash pipe.

Severian

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:25:00 AM

u wot m8

Your reply was equally incomprehensible.

Ya get it or you don't, eh wot?
haitispaceagency

Activity: 252

Coinlancer.io ICO | Oct 14th

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:32:55 AM

who is the fiat gang

▄████▄
          ██  ██
 ▄▄▄▄     ▀████▀     ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██     ▄▄▄▄     ██▀▀██
██▄▄███▄▄██▀▀▀▀██▄▄███▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀ ▀██▀▄████ ▀██▀ ▀▀▀▀
      ██ ██     ██
 ▄▄▄▄  ██▄▀████ ▄██  ▄▄▄▄
██▀▀██  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀  ██▀▀██
██▄▄██     ▀██▀     ██▄▄██
 ▀▀▀▀     ▄████▄     ▀▀▀▀
          ██  ██
         ▀████▀
Coinlancer
         ▄▄████████▄▄
      ▄▄████████████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████████▄
  ████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████▀
  █████████████████████████
  ▀███████████████████████▀
   ▀█████████████████████▀
      ▀▀████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀████████▀▀
CL
WHITEPAPER         ANN THREAD
Coinlancer
FACEBOOK     TWITTER     MEDIUM     TELEGRAM
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
!!
Severian

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:02:52 AM

who is the fiat gang

In the US, they're headed up by Captain Bloody Ben Bernanke of the Federal Reserve.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 08:03:14 AM

if your not using bitcoins for crime then what is the point

How about the fact that you can move any amount of money ANYWHERE in the world for almost free?

How about the fact that its anonymous, for those who like their privacy, and that its easier to get than a credit card + more secure and was actually designed to be used for online purchases.

Bitcoin is much much better in every single way than any other online payment method.
I don't disagree with this, but the fact of the matter is you can't walk into a store and buy something with bitcoins (unless it is some type of specific store etc). You can't sell on ebay with bitcoins, you can't keep bitcoins in your physical wallet and use them like normal cash.

[...rant...]
With gold you have a hard time buying at a store, too.
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:10:32 AM

...I realize you can buy bitcoins with your online banking, but what is the point? Why not just keep it in your bank account?

What kind of interest rate does your bank pay for a savings account?  Mine only pays .25% per year, meanwhile bitcoins have been increasing in dollar value by an average of 1.96% per day for the last year.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
flavius

Activity: 154

welcome to riches

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:14:41 AM

Buying something as an investment is not equal to using it, it doesn't give you some type of advantage that the money in your bank account didn't give you unless there are rare circumstances. If you expect people to jump on the bitcoin train as an investment then good luck.

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:54:10 AM

Buying something as an investment is not equal to using it, it doesn't give you some type of advantage that the money in your bank account didn't give you unless there are rare circumstances. If you expect people to jump on the bitcoin train as an investment then good luck.

I'll bet you a bitcoin that, in the years ahead, there are going to be a whole lot of people who would prefer to get out of a currency whose supply is expanding in this fashion:

and into a currency that is being created in this manner:

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:05:10 AM

I completely agree that Bitcoins are a better investment than USD, but that wasn't the point I was making.

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
shawshankinmate37927

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:13:26 AM

I completely agree that Bitcoins are a better investment than USD, but that wasn't the point I was making.

You previously said that "If you expect people to jump on the bitcoin train as an investment then good luck."

I don't expect people to jump on the bitcoin train as an investment.  I expect them to jump on the bitcoin train in the future in order to escape the higher prices that will result from inflating the supply of dollars and all of the other fiat currencies around the globe.

flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:50:04 AM

If the world was intelligent people then yes that would happen, but you aren't going to convince a large population of people to invest in a decentralized digital anonymous currency they currently know nothing about. The act of taking dollar bills out of their wallet and turning those into bitcoins is not going to be an easy one.

Also you have to realize inflation of the dollar bill is still inflation to bitcoins because bitcoins are based off of the dollar, their value is in the fact you can exchange them for dollars, nothing else.

TimJBenham

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:43:05 AM

Flavius, it is obvious that bitcoin is excellent for crime and, until now, fairly useless for anything else except speculation. It may be becoming slightly useful for gambling, especially where gambling is unlawful. It's extreme volatility renders it unsuitable for pricing. Indeed almost all tangible transactions in bitcoins are really priced in fiat.

However, if you want to be popular here you will repeat the party line.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:39:50 AM

I can buy BTC directly via online banking for a low fee and receive my bitcoins within 48-72h. In my opinion it's only a matter of time before brick and mortar stores accept them. It's been cheaper, safer and more convenient for me to sell legal items online with BTC than using PayPal.

Some people just cannot and will not accept this.  That is until it is too late. They will call us all ponzi supporters, spread the FUD, then they will break down and buy some BTC and I will be smiling.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:56:37 AM

the fact that I was able to purchase parts for my computer, clothes for my back, and even a few foreign snacks for my belly... Bitcoin is far from useless.
The deflationary aspect of it over the past 2 years has been wonderful, honest, but that isn't why i got involved in bitcoin.
I don't have paypal, I don't have a bank account, I don't have a credit card, and I don't intend to get any of them any time soon. I still pay my taxes and buy things I need, but bitcoin has allowed me to buy things easier and cheaper than in the past.

ZOMG Moo!
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:31:35 PM

Indeed almost all tangible transactions in bitcoins are really priced in fiat.

There is a valid point - that all items sold for BTC are actually priced in fiat now, just converted using whatever the current exchange rate is. So you are not buying anything with coins yet - you are buying with fiat, the processor just obscures the exchange of your coins. The only things priced in bitcoins are, so far, purely virtual - like bitcoin services subscription.

And this is not changing until bitcoin economy is self contained - i.e., there are iron mines accepting bitcoins in exchange for ore, smelters working for coin, and all the way up to warehouses which have prices set in bitcoin.

This will take a very long time to achieve, if ever. Much longer than most speculators here are willing to wait - ten years at the very least. Until then, bitcoin will be slowly growing in price, because once bitcoin economy is self-contained, it will quickly suck in all other economies (due to its obvious superiority), and so coin value should be up to the task.

i am satoshi
Tirapon

Activity: 898

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:46:30 PM

And this is not changing until bitcoin economy is self contained - i.e., there are iron mines accepting bitcoins in exchange for ore, smelters working for coin, and all the way up to warehouses which have prices set in bitcoin.

This will take a very long time to achieve, if ever. Much longer than most speculators here are willing to wait - ten years at the very least. Until then, bitcoin will be slowly growing in price, because once bitcoin economy is self-contained, it will quickly suck in all other economies (due to its obvious superiority), and so coin value should be up to the task.

If this happens in the next ten years I'll be laughing the whole way there  Wink
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: