Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:50:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Website performance is going to be the bane of many n00bs when it's time to sell  (Read 832 times)
shamntalk (OP)

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

BTC

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:04:55 PM

Right, I know very little about BTC (I own a glorious 10 lol), but I know my stuff when it comes to websites (14 years experience, CTO).
Let me tell you that there's going to be drama all around when the market starts dipping. Today Bitstamp is taking 15 seconds to load on my account page and there's barely any visits to that site compared to MTGOX.

In the realworld, yes the exchanges can crash, but that's incredibly rare, and these things are built with redundancy in mind and are load tested to the hilt. Even when they take a nose dive, the operators have clones ready to get online. I mean I've visited some of the ones in London, and we're talking acres of server rooms, the best of the best connectivity, the best of the best hardware, dedicated fiber they've dug themselves, triple redundancy.

As far as I can tell none of the BTC exchanges publish what and how they host their websites, and if looks are an indication of the code quality (which more often than not it is), then we're going to be up s**t creek with no paddle as we panic to try and sell our coins only to be greeted by 503 server unavailable errors.

Just sayin'.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:07:37 PM

Just sayin'.

Make your own, better one, properly. Problem solved.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:12:16 PM

There is certainly demand for it. I see lots of people complaining in the speculation forums.

There's demand for Mt. Gox to improve their trading engine performance. Better performance alone won't go very far as a competitive advantage against gox's big advantage - liquidity.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 10:13:59 PM

Absolutely the truth. At this point in time most bitcoin websites are absolutely crushed under the weight of all the users. Time to step up boys!

more or less retired.
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 10:16:24 PM

Right, I know very little about BTC (I own a glorious 10 lol), but I know my stuff when it comes to websites (14 years experience, CTO).
Let me tell you that there's going to be drama all around when the market starts dipping. Today Bitstamp is taking 15 seconds to load on my account page and there's barely any visits to that site compared to MTGOX.

In the realworld, yes the exchanges can crash, but that's incredibly rare, and these things are built with redundancy in mind and are load tested to the hilt. Even when they take a nose dive, the operators have clones ready to get online. I mean I've visited some of the ones in London, and we're talking acres of server rooms, the best of the best connectivity, the best of the best hardware, dedicated fiber they've dug themselves, triple redundancy.

As far as I can tell none of the BTC exchanges publish what and how they host their websites, and if looks are an indication of the code quality (which more often than not it is), then we're going to be up s**t creek with no paddle as we panic to try and sell our coins only to be greeted by 503 server unavailable errors.

Just sayin'.

Welcome to the still relatively "amateur" world of bitcoin. I'm sure this still will start to improve as it becomes more and more worth the investment to have better services and redundancy. Just in the 7 months i've been in the 'scene' the level of professional services and companies getting involved in the ecosystem is greatly increasing.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:27:46 AM

Today Bitstamp is taking 15 seconds to load on my account page and there's barely any visits to that site compared to MTGOX.

Are you sure that isn't something on your end? It loads perfectly fine for me.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
skilo

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:36:20 AM

It seems it would be a smart idea to host the trading sites on the cloud, I'm not sure if they could but it would certainly boost performance if they did.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 07:21:03 PM

Re your title: understatement of the year. For one it's not about being a noob, it's about being sane, or to quote

<mircea_popescu> dude i dunno about noobs. it'd be the bane of me.

Just a cursory glance through this forum subsection paints a gloomy picture indeed, nothing seems to work.

But the other end to consider is that most of Bitcoin is on-demand provisioning, and that demand may spike arbitrarily. It's not necessarily easy to predict nor is it always practical to follow the spikes (just consider that Bitcoin has a 400% limit on difficulty changes baked in by design, exactly because of this virtual world/real world velocity disparity).

In the realworld, yes the exchanges can crash, but that's incredibly rare

Actually no, it's not incredibly rare. NASDAQ blew up on Facebook IPO day, they're still arguing in court over it, dozens of cases. In fact the real world does a lot more poorly than we do, but it's not quite as visible because this real world is fat and so moves a lot more slowly than Bitcoin.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: