Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:52:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When buying in a store, ask if you can pay in bitcoins! I do it, it helps!  (Read 2023 times)
anarchy (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 04:49:32 PM

If everyone on the forum would do THIS.. bitcoin would be adapted really quick!

The next step should be handing out flyers on how to accept bitcoins in your store (as soon as the iphone/android apps are out - like www.squareup.com).

In the meanwhile, keep asking!!  It really makes a difference!  Especially at stores where you are a good customer and they are willing to listen.
Convince them!
At other stores just ask, and then pay normally.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Leandro César

Activity: 536
Merit: 503

+1

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 05:10:43 PM

Good point!

L.

Leandro César
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:13:17 PM

I don't think bitcoin is ready to be accepted in normal stores.
I mean, i don't think you're gonna wait an hour until the shop has confirmations on the transaction you paid with your phone?

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
leonardodarioperna

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:16:02 PM

I'm working on it and collection emails of potential customers! I got around 400 emails!

bitcoinaction.com

Thanks
tymothy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 05:48:02 PM

I mean, i don't think you're gonna wait an hour until the shop has confirmations on the transaction you paid with your phone?

I agree that the infrastructure is not yet there. It's definitely surmountable though. If you deposited bitcoins with a company that maintained a sort of point-of-sale-network, the company could ensure that the merchant is paid immediately. While it would be possible for the customer to spend more than they have in a short timeframe, that's basically no greater than the risk credit card companies assume. There was also a time when most merchants accepted checks, and those things could take up to a week to clear and everyone seemed to do ok with those.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 06:55:17 PM

How do you buy things in a store using Digital currency? Online yea, in a store..hmm..its not like you can just whip out your mobile phone and do a transfer.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
BotherMeNot

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

I don't think any company with multiple investors will accept Bitcoins as a payment option when they see the level of fluxuation in the BitCoin market.  You "pay" for a degree of stability with our current payment systems pegged to the dollar, but with BitCoins it would make things difficult in so many ways.

A grocery store, as an example, wouldn't need to update their prices on almost a daily basis.  That takes materials and wages to accomplish which is an expense most probably don't want to pay.

I don't think many of us would you want our paychecks to be paid in BitCoins.  If we could peg Bitcoins to oil prices and got gas stations to accept bitcoins, then we may have found a way to find stability in gas prices... but that sounds like science fiction to me.
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:06:24 PM

Not exactly productive, you're just going to get funny looks from some cashier who has nothing to do with the decision on how to pay. Digitally, it's a different story. Smaller ecommerce websites should be our targets as they are more likely to be in tune with their customers needs: even if they see bitcoin as some novelty, they should realise that being part of the economy this early on is rewarded. It's insanely easy to advertise to a big audience: they just have to make a forum post in the market place!
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:45:40 AM

No, you don't have to wait. You don't currently wait three days while the shop gets confirmations on the transaction you paid with your debit card.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 03:47:48 AM

You could tip your waiters in Bitcoin. Heck, it's better than not tipping at all.
anarchy (OP)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:41:02 PM

First of all, its a misconception that you have to wait hours.  While it is advisable for very large sums, just to be 100% sure, your transaction will be verified across the whole network within seconds.  After that double spends will be denied.  So only the first 20 secs are vulnerable.  And yes, I agree, checks are a lot worse.

Additionally, a bitcoin phone app could have the option to immediately buy or sell at a pre-configured exchange like mtgox (creating a big market for other exchanges to be plugged in to the app).  So the fluctuation thing is a mute point.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: