Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:42:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a victim of MiM Scam! Now the police is investigating! help!  (Read 2890 times)
Victorycoin

Activity: 1134
Merit: 517

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 02:24:32 PM

I think the police are almost certainly just hoping you will say something to incriminate yourself, and assuming you don't then nothing will happen.

Sharma is right - you don't need to be able to prove your innocence; in order to be charged with a crime the police and accuser need to be able to prove your guilt.

Police has my bank statements and I explained to him the cash deposit was from bitcoin sales. He doesn't buy my story... -__-
Even if I do give him blockchain transactions I doubt he has no idea what he is looking at...
This is really a call to order for anyone transacting in cryptocurrencies here and everywhere! Op, it has been a long while you posted here, so how has it all turned out?

The buyer of your bitcoin is a rogue and knew what he was doing from the unset, so you really need a criminal lawyer, knowledgeable in cryptocurrency to fight this case and it would cost you some money too, but you can claim damages in the tail end.
As smart as the buyer thinks he is, your lawyer can demand for the identity of the owner of phone number used in sending the text message and also that used on the bank teller, when deposit was made. Your advert at localbitcoin, his text message, their dates, amount involved, exchange rate then, blockchain transaction, which I presume should correlate, are useful tools to establish your case.

AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 12:20:57 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2016, 04:01:35 AM by AgentofCoin

OP, begin writing your whole story down for a summary for your lawyer.
Do not attempt to argue law or defense strategies, just provide the facts.

Gather all the documents or other communications you may have, including:
emails, text messages, localbitcoin communications, telephone numbers, pictures,
receipts, or anything else that will help corroborate your story and help toward
any need for a defense.

Obviously, do not willingly provide any information to the police or investigative
authorities without a lawyer present. It may not be important that your lawyer
knows all the in & outs of bitcoin, as long as they understand it is a non-reversable
payment method.

It is likely that after all is said and done, you may need to return the cash deposit back
to the original depositor, since they may have been defrauded by a scammer and
now you will be the last one holding the bag.

It is also possible that the officer who called you could be the scammer attempting to
get you to return the money to himself. It is important to cooperate with the authorities
after they have proved to be actual authorities, and after you have a lawyer present.

Just begin preparing your proofs, so that you have them and ready if you need them.
Do not hand them to the police, they are only for you and your lawyer's use.

Edit: I just noticed the user above me bumped this three month old thread and I
answered as if it was new.  Embarrassed

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: