Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:50:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A new name for mining  (Read 8065 times)
Merralea

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:00:37 PM

How about

This.

On topic: the term has stuck whether you like it or not. In all likelihood it will change of its own accord once actual mining is virtually nonexistent. Until then, calling it something else is akin to vegans that refer to meat as "animal carcass" or the like-- I know what you're saying, but it mostly just makes you look pretentious.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:13:52 PM

"Mining" is actually a wonderful term. People immediately think about precious metals like gold. The word implies that anyone can get into the game, just grab a pick-axe and go! And it also implies some sort of reward. As far as marketing goes, "mining" is genius. Who cares if it's not technically accurate" The word encourages action.

"Auditing" is a term only an accountant would love. The negative connotations are severe (at least, here in the U.S.).

veteranBtc

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:46:18 PM

Hmm...

Would this be better?
This, make my day  Cheesy

Bitobsessed

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:25:00 PM

Hmm...

Would this be better?
This, make my day  Cheesy

How about Bitsharting?
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:32:05 PM

Couching
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:09:27 PM

"Mining" is actually a wonderful term. People immediately think about precious metals like gold. The word implies that anyone can get into the game, just grab a pick-axe and go! And it also implies some sort of reward. As far as marketing goes, "mining" is genius. Who cares if it's not technically accurate" The word encourages action.

"Auditing" is a term only an accountant would love. The negative connotations are severe (at least, here in the U.S.).

mining is actually a term to make people immediately think about precious metals...

but its not a precious metal.
but its not a commodity (raw material) that can be used to make other products
but its not a element on the periodic table of elements
but its not a physical item you can hold.

so calling it mining is just to add speculated imaginary value by making people imagine gold.

its better to call it something that resembles what it actually is. so auditing is a closer term to use, as is
'vectoring' due to the use of the elliptic curve which is part of the bitcoin system.
'hashing' i would even say 'hashing analyst' but the noobs would be saying "oh look they said anal"

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 08:32:29 PM

Mining is the outcome of securing the network.

I use either one of them depending on the context,  When explaining bitcoin as a whole I often use Securing.

People running clients are, relaying, storing, and validating block and transactions.  Is that accurate ?
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 08:41:17 PM

People running clients are, relaying, storing, and validating block and transactions.  Is that accurate ?

It is.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 10:41:29 PM

Why not just call it "processing"?

Like this hypothetical statement: "I just got my ASIC bitcoin processor in the mail the other day, now it is processing away at 2 Ths. I like being a processor because it helps the network, plus I get the 25 bitcoin processing reward when I hit a block."

Seems to work for me, thoughts?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 04:49:21 PM

Mike Hearn want's us to believe it should be called "Heating, inefficient but with a few added benefits!"  Cheesy

I was following alone with that thread the other day, it was pure comedy.

"Sorry dear, we can't heat the house today, the internet connection to the heater is down and it won't function without a line to the Bitcoin network. Smiley"
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 05:00:09 PM

Why not just call it "processing"?

Like this hypothetical statement: "I just got my ASIC bitcoin processor in the mail the other day, now it is processing away at 2 Ths. I like being a processor because it helps the network, plus I get the 25 bitcoin processing reward when I hit a block."

Seems to work for me, thoughts?

I agree.  I am fine with mining because it is so ingrained into bitcoin but while boring "transaction processing" fits the bill and gives no false illusions of easy profit. 

mjsbuddha

Activity: 336

yung lean

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:30:24 PM

less then 1 GHash = prospecting

1 GHash - 999GHash = mining

1THash+ = strip mining
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 06:03:35 PM

For an ordinary human being "mining" looks like "miners" talk to Satoshi's spirit asking for divine revelation called "nonce". "Mining" should be named "performing [of religious rites]".
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:58:47 AM

securitization and its the real type not funny money banking type  Wink

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 04:59:45 PM

I think if it is ever changed generating might be the most appropriate term? Doesn't bother me too much, what bothers me is when people try to invent their own numbers and math like with stupid crap like 'satoshis'.
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 05:07:26 PM

How about "mining?"

How about "crafting"?

joecooin

Activity: 359

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 11:02:25 PM

How about "digging it out of the digital underground"?

No, seriously, I think "mining" is quite a perfect metaphor and term.

It even communicates Bitcoin's characteristics as a quantitavely limited digital commodity through it's analogy to pm and it creates the association with "work to do".

And it is already established.

Joe

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2013, 03:44:59 AM

less then 1 GHash = prospecting

1 GHash - 999GHash = mining

1THash+ = strip mining

10 THash = thermonuclear mining