Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:31:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need assistance retrieving my btc back  (Read 615 times)
needassistanceplease (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 10:58:24 AM

hey boys and girls,

im currently not on my linux setup but im going to do my best to explain my problem.
[theres a 10% reward from the btc i can withdraw ( estimated i have around 250-300 euro in coins, so thats a 25-30 euro for assisting me)

[situation] i was using electrum on my tails(linux) setup, when asked to update to automatically update to tails 2.3 i said yes.
during the update my pc froze or ...? after that my pc AND other pc's did not reconignze my usb with tails(with electrum)

another thing that happend was that i was using the default wallet, its the wallet u get when u open electrum first, i used this without problems for several months, around 2-3 months ago i started using a new wallet INSIDE the electrum i was using, its called wallet02.
it should have the same private key as the default wallet right? yet i can restore my default wallet but not my wallet02.
i tried searching inside the usb on windows but didnt got any wiser... i did the same on tails and there was an option to enter my persistance pass, after doing that i got acces to electrum wallet: seeing - defaulth wallet and wallet02

i have acces too:
- my electrum pass
- my tails persistance pass
- several private keys, one belonging to the default wallet but doesnt give me acces to wallet02??

wat do i do now? can someone please help me? willing to reward for assistance
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
merelcoin

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:00:48 AM

hey boys and girls,

im currently not on my linux setup but im going to do my best to explain my problem.
[theres a 10% reward from the btc i can withdraw ( estimated i have around 250-300 euro in coins, so thats a 25-30 euro for assisting me)

[situation] i was using electrum on my tails(linux) setup, when asked to update to automatically update to tails 2.3 i said yes.
during the update my pc froze or ...? after that my pc AND other pc's did not reconignze my usb with tails(with electrum)

another thing that happend was that i was using the default wallet, its the wallet u get when u open electrum first, i used this without problems for several months, around 2-3 months ago i started using a new wallet INSIDE the electrum i was using, its called wallet02.
it should have the same private key as the default wallet right? yet i can restore my default wallet but not my wallet02.
i tried searching inside the usb on windows but didnt got any wiser... i did the same on tails and there was an option to enter my persistance pass, after doing that i got acces to electrum wallet: seeing - defaulth wallet and wallet02

i have acces too:
- my electrum pass
- my tails persistance pass
- several private keys, one belonging to the default wallet but doesnt give me acces to wallet02??

wat do i do now? can someone please help me? willing to reward for assistance

do you still have the seed phrases?

you have electrum, with 2 wallets, each wallet should have it's own unique seed (if i'm not mistaking). If you still have these 2 seeds, i think your problem is already solved: you can create a new tails distro, or just install electrum on your (clean) desktop pc (running windows or linux) or even install electrum on your android phone.
After the installation, chose to restore a wallet, enter the seed phrase of wallet1. Then create a new wallet, restore, seed phrase of wallet2 => you're done.

If you imported private keys into electrum, you can import those same keys into a new wallet to, it should work fine.

Or am i missing something here?

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:05:04 AM

i then only have the seed phrase for the default wallet which is a 12 letter word combi

BUT something else very strange i saw was a 9 letter word combi, its to short to enter ok but i wrote it down so it has a use for something

wat about looking inside tails? when i enter my persistance pass? i see the - default wallet and the wallet02?
is there any information inside that?

PS: im familiar with restoring wallets, its just that requires a unique 12 letter phrase? only have the one from default not the wallet02 -> wat is the 9 letter phrase? could it be from wallet02? why is it 9 words and not 12?
merelcoin

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:07:46 AM

i then only have the seed phrase for the default wallet which is a 12 letter word combi

BUT something else very strange i saw was a 9 letter word combi, its to short to enter ok but i wrote it down so it has a use for something

wat about looking inside tails? when i enter my persistance pass? i see the - default wallet and the wallet02?
is there any information inside that?

If i'm not mistaking, you could copy those files, and use them in a clean installation... At least it's worth a try.
Do a clean install of electrum on a clean copy of tails (or windows, or linux) DO NOT delete the old installation, copy the default_wallet en wallet2 to the new installation, open the files with the new electrum installation.

I'm not 100% sure it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

Personally, i wouldn't try to fix the tails distro, i'd just try to restore my wallet, either by entering the seed, or by copying files from the broken distro.

About the 9 word seed: it's strange, i'm not really sure what happened, i always tough older versions had a 12 word seed, newer version a 13 word

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:13:42 AM

its def worth a shot!

already want to thank you for showing interest, means a lot to me!

to make it clear for me:
step 1: get new updated to newest version tails
step 2: start tails(any version would work) add new tails usb -> copy the default wallet + wallet02 to the electrum file?
or? where do i copy it into?
step 3: i start new tails usb with files copied onto it
step 3.5: i restore wallet? or i wount even need to restore wallet since it will start @ wallet02?
step 4: if that works i just need my old electrum pass which i still have and i can transfer funds?
merelcoin

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:14:51 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2016, 11:25:54 AM by merelcoin

its def worth a shot!

already want to thank you for showing interest, means a lot to me!

to make it clear for me:
step 1: get new updated to newest version tails
step 2: start tails(any version would work) add new tails usb -> copy the default wallet + wallet02 to the electrum file?
or? where do i copy it into?
step 3: i start new tails usb with files copied onto it
step 3.5: i restore wallet? or i wount even need to restore wallet since it will start @ wallet02?
step 4: if that works i just need my old electrum pass which i still have and i can transfer funds?

I still have to get my head around what happened:
- you updated tails
- you can still access the persistent volume
- you can still open electrum
- you can still see the default_wallet
- you also had a wallet2, a completely different wallet, and you can still see the wallet2 file after opening the persistent volume from within tails, but not from within electrum. Also, you don't have the seed for wallet2

- If this is correct, i'd try to copy the 2 files default_wallet and wallet2 to a clean desktop PC (you can also use tails, but i'd start by copying them to your normal desktop in order to avoid any complexity caused by the use of tails). Make sure your desktop is clean, and if you want to preserve your privacy, don't use your desktop to create transactions.
- Install electrum on this desktop pc
- open electrum, maybe you'll be forced to create a new wallet the first time you open it (don't know, cannot test this out)
- when electrum is open, go to file-> open, browse to the folder where you copy'd the default_wallet and the wallet2 from your tails persistent volume
- see if this works. I'm not sure it will, but it's worth a shot...

Please, don't touch the tails volume at this point, don't destroy the data before you're 100% sure you have a workable alternative.
It would still be best if you had the seed for wallet2 written down somewhere, it would make your life a lot easyer. I assume you started out with default_wallet, and after a while, you (maybe accidentally) created a new wallet, with a new seed, and you started to use that one. The default_wallet and wallet2 are two completely different wallets (i assume), unless you restored your initial wallet from seed and named it wallet2 (but i think that's unlikely)

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:33:37 AM

im indeed holding off any action till i have a better idea of whats going on.

another thing i want to add:

on windows i cant acces the persistance part off the usb, its not vissible or becomes vissible after telling windows to show hidden files

only way i can see the electrum file in on a tails setup(i assume any linux to be honoust)

so thanks so much already, im currently not at home so tomorrow when im feeling at my best im going to safetly try out ur suggestions!
merelcoin

View Profile
June 10, 2016, 11:40:57 AM

im indeed holding off any action till i have a better idea of whats going on.

another thing i want to add:

on windows i cant acces the persistance part off the usb, its not vissible or becomes vissible after telling windows to show hidden files

only way i can see the electrum file in on a tails setup(i assume any linux to be honoust)

so thanks so much already, im currently not at home so tomorrow when im feeling at my best im going to safetly try out ur suggestions!

I think the most important part is to make sure you don't delete anything from your tails distro.
I think it should be possible to open your persistent volume from within tails, and then copy the files to a blank usbstick, boot in windows and retrieve the files from this stick...

Do be carefull tough, a standard windows (or linux) system will probably be less safe than your tails distro, doublecheck it's completely clean before you try anything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: