Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:23:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie-needs help and advice  (Read 554 times)
kylie20 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 07:32:08 AM

I am wanting to learn how to mine bitcoins, but dont know what software, hardware, etc. is needed, how to mine, or even where to begin. I am a marketing student, I am not tech savvy, please help a newbie out and point me in the right direction so I can start mining/learning how to mine.

if email works better- my email is worthypancake@gmail.com
just need any kind of help/info

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BountifulMan

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 11:33:38 AM

What are the best video cards for mining available at the Chinese market now?
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:30:35 PM

I am wanting to learn how to mine bitcoins, but dont know what software, hardware, etc. is needed

You need to buy a purpose built Bitcoin mining machine, also knows as an ASIC.  The two main companies who sell them are Bitmain and Avalon.  The software is integrated in these machines so the only software you would need is a Bitcoin client/wallet to hold your Bitcoins.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:31:27 PM

What are the best video cards for mining available at the Chinese market now?

Bitcoin difficulty is way too high to mine with Video Cards/GPU's.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
DKirk

Activity: 61

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 02:13:25 AM

I just started figuring all this out a week ago and am still putting together the pieces. The easiest way to put a rig together without spending crazy amounts of money is to-

1. Raspberry Pi ($70)
2. USB Hub ($10-$20)
3. USB powered fan ($10)
4. ASIC miners, I ordered 2 Gekkoscience 2Pacs ($80ish each) but as far as I know you can get more so long as the USB hub can support them

I won't make much of anything with that setup, but I'm doing it more as a science project than anything... The good thing is the skills learned can be applied to future ventures.

Setup is pretty simple and there are tons of videos on youtube of how to set everything up. Currently, I have everything configured and cgminer (one of the programs used to mine) loaded up. Just need the 2pacs to finish up. There are support threads on here for the 2pacs and cgminer where research can be done and questions directed.

I'm not sure how good you are with computers in general, but even if you are somewhat savvy plan to spend multiple hours learning about everything.

Hope that answers at least some of your questions.
Mister1k

Activity: 896
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 01:37:59 PM

I just started figuring all this out a week ago and am still putting together the pieces. The easiest way to put a rig together without spending crazy amounts of money is to-

1. Raspberry Pi ($70)
2. USB Hub ($10-$20)
3. USB powered fan ($10)
4. ASIC miners, I ordered 2 Gekkoscience 2Pacs ($80ish each) but as far as I know you can get more so long as the USB hub can support them

I won't make much of anything with that setup, but I'm doing it more as a science project than anything... The good thing is the skills learned can be applied to future ventures.

Setup is pretty simple and there are tons of videos on youtube of how to set everything up. Currently, I have everything configured and cgminer (one of the programs used to mine) loaded up. Just need the 2pacs to finish up. There are support threads on here for the 2pacs and cgminer where research can be done and questions directed.

I'm not sure how good you are with computers in general, but even if you are somewhat savvy plan to spend multiple hours learning about everything.

Cannot have the general home PC in mining purposes dude. I have inbuilt Graphics card nvidia 750 in it and tried to mine bitcoin with the nice hash miner but the mining speed is very slow with the personal computer but one of friend bought rig with the 6 cards it gives decent hash rate mine the coins.
As you said Youtube videos will give the better information since you do not know person in your location who can teach about the bitcoin.
DKirk

Activity: 61

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 02:18:16 PM

1. Raspberry Pi ($70)
2. USB Hub ($10-$20)
3. USB powered fan ($10)

Cannot have the general home PC in mining purposes dude. I have inbuilt Graphics card nvidia 750 in it and tried to mine bitcoin with the nice hash miner but the mining speed is very slow with the personal computer but one of friend bought rig with the 6 cards it gives decent hash rate mine the coins.
As you said Youtube videos will give the better information since you do not know person in your location who can teach about the bitcoin.

My understanding is you don't need some crazy powerful computer to hook the ASIC miners into in order to start mining. Not sure if you were just making a generic comment or misunderstood what I wrote. Granted, a rig like the one I am building is probably not going to make tons of money, but it is certainly not mining with a basic home computer CPU/graphics card. As far as I have been able to find using ASIC miners with a Pi is a good way to learn about mining without spending these asinine amounts of money for Antminers on ebay.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: