Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:08:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between different Trade Markets  (Read 890 times)
qiuness (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 01:46:57 AM

although i`m pretty new to all this BTC i've read maybe hundreds of pages on this forum...
I've experimented with BitStamp and just a little bit with MtGox.

Seeing all these different markets... what stops me for ex. buying here:
https://btc-e.com/ where i see the price is @40 and then transferring the coin to mtGox and reselling at 42??

Were do you trade, and why?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 02:05:53 AM

Congratulations, you have just invented an arbitrage.
Sure, you can transfer money from one exchange to another to take advantage of the price difference.
Just be careful and check if there are not more fees involved in the process than the profit form arbitrage itself. If it still profitable, go for it!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 02:15:30 AM

what stops me for ex. buying here:
https://btc-e.com/ where i see the price is @40 and then transferring the coin to mtGox and reselling at 42??

That's called performing arbitrage and is a necessary component of keeping prices between exchanges in equilibrium.

The problem is in moving cash to and from the various exchanges in order to do that trade.  Also a person trading on various exchanges needs to consider counterparty risk -- meaning not only must you trust that the exchange won't run off in the middle of the night with your funds, you have to trust that they are competent enough so that your funds won't be stolen and you'ld be in the same condition, without access to your funds.

Both BTC-E and MtGox have had security breaches in which customer funds were stolen.  In both instances the exchange covered the losses, but in neither instance apparently was the amounts stolen above the levels that would make the exchange insolvent.

So generally, traders doing arbitrage will limit the amount of funds to a minimum level.

So right now the difference in the exchange rate between BTC-e and Mt. Gox consists of the difficulty and cost in moving USDs from a bank account into BTC-e, combined with the difficulty and cost in moving USDs out of Mt. Gox (after selling bitcoins) to a bank.  In all, that's requiring a lot of USDs to be "in play", and thus exposed to exchange rate risk (can't simply buy bitcoins on demand with the funds should market conditions change).

So you are free to give it a try.  Just that the nearly $2 per bitcoin difference ends up being so little profit by the time all is said and done.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █