Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:03:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much BTC does the forum own, and who holds it?  (Read 622 times)
nimda (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 04:16:53 AM

Just curious given it's probably worth a few million USD more than when the bulk of it was donated, and since the promised new forum software seems to have finally arrived. I seem to remember a thread which detailed who held the BTC (maybe there was multisig involved? or just theymos?), but I can't find it now.

I don't need a big discussion, just a link is sufficient.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2016, 04:30:19 AM

3 years ago it looked like this, although probably alot changed since then:

1000 casascius
1000 John
750 Meni Rosenfeld
750 Rassah
750 eleuthria
500 DeathAndTaxes
500 OgNasty
250 CIYAM Open
250 Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
250 paraipan
250 Garr255

Paraipans 250BTC are still in there (1PFkqgBBrSKikyyUGDerZMfzvCNPgKrR3o), though they are afaik unreachable.
The 500BTC OgN holds as treasurer are also still there (1Eog8UqRFLufC71rBLt2nYgfUDskgxAyVF).
The other addresses are either unknown or empty as far as I've checked.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
nimda (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 07:26:15 AM

3 years ago it looked like this, although probably alot changed since then:

1000 casascius
1000 John
750 Meni Rosenfeld
750 Rassah
750 eleuthria
500 DeathAndTaxes
500 OgNasty
250 CIYAM Open
250 Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
250 paraipan
250 Garr255

Paraipans 250BTC are still in there (1PFkqgBBrSKikyyUGDerZMfzvCNPgKrR3o), though they are afaik unreachable.
The 500BTC OgN holds as treasurer are also still there (1Eog8UqRFLufC71rBLt2nYgfUDskgxAyVF).

That is indeed the thread I was thinking about, thanks!

Wonder where the rest went...
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 12:45:06 PM

The current list of treasurers can be seen here. According to the post, the forum currently holds ~1,750BTC between 4 treasurers.

This is true, as sadly Paraipan passed away in 2014.

In addition to this, Rassah is holding 750BTC in this address:
PGP signed and returned to Theymos.
Public holding address: 1HQ8WaKVRYXLBtVdMcYr5SHQ3X9BsLyxa1

I expect that the majority was used on the new forum software, though I know CIYAM chose to return his holdings to theymos after an extortion attempt against the forum using them.
If you would like to see what the treasurers list used to look like, there is an archived version from 2014 at archive.org.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 02:51:02 PM

I would assume quite a chunk of it was spent creating the new forum. I am surprised after paraipan passing that Theymos has not moved to a multi-sig setup. Obviously, the people holding the current funds are legit, but people die all the time from random stuff.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 02:52:47 PM

I no longer hold any BTC for the forum.

(the 50 BTC I was last holding was returned to @theymos)

Calling it an "extortion attempt" I think is a little ridiculous - but whatever (funny how one silly mistake overrides over a year of holding 250 BTC which was held at the time that BTC was approaching its all time high - the initial return of 200 of that 250 was because I was actually worried that someone might try and locate me).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 04:42:07 PM

Calling it an "extortion attempt" I think is a little ridiculous - but whatever (funny how one silly mistake overrides over a year of holding 250 BTC which was held at the time that BTC was approaching its all time high - the initial return of 200 of that 250 was because I was actually worried that someone might try and locate me).
I do understand that it was just a temporary lapse of judgement, though it was extortion by definition. You were trying to get your way by threatening the forum with monetary loss.
Regardless, it was very noble of you to accept your mistakes, apologize, return the BTC and still contribute to the forum as you do. I don't think anyone holds your mistake against you anymore.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 05:04:25 PM

I do understand that it was just a temporary lapse of judgement, though it was extortion by definition. You were trying to get your way by threatening the forum with monetary loss.
Regardless, it was very noble of you to accept your mistakes, apologize, return the BTC and still contribute to the forum as you do. I don't think anyone holds your mistake against you anymore.

I agree with both of you, it was a large misjudgement but also temporary extortion. No one was hurt I guess.

This is true, as sadly Paraipan passed away in 2014.

They are indeed unreachable.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: