Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:01:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: instawallet has fallen new owner stealing  (Read 13348 times)
Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:55:12 PM

Sorry for your loss. Best of luck sorting it out (If you havn't already!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:33:11 PM

From the cached FAQ:

instawallet
EST. 2011
3,452,558 wallets

Is this true?  Over 3 million wallets?

A wallet got created every time someone hit instawallet.org, so that wouldn't surprise me.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:57:17 PM

I suspect, from the bottom of my sleeve, that there are maybe 100,000 addresses with any balance whatsoever, and of these, 10,000 hold a balance greater than BTC1. A few lucky guys maybe holding BTC100.

So the amount of data is reasonable, and they are well positioned to return all bitcoins to their rightful owners, and everything is proceeding as planned.

The 90 day account freeze is a must, because some owners may not access their wallet every week. Further, I believe they will have a claims department open ever after for anyone who wakes up late but remembers his URL. In my opinion, Instawallet team may recover their reasonable costs from the amount returned, if a claim is late for more than 1 year.

The positive side is, your bitcoin wealth is frozen at the exact time you might be most tempted to sell it, and you should thank the "hacker" for this Wink

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:45:11 PM

Even if you have some special insight, what standing do you have to represent anyone else in court?  In most jurisdictions you cannot practise law without a licence.  You can choose to represent yourself in a legal action, but you can't generally act on behalf of someone else unless you're a properly qualified and licensed lawyer in the relevant jurisdiction.

Hi there! 

Lawyers are a criminal cadre.  That is why they prosecute and damage, anyone who tries to muscle in on their turf.  Lawyers, drag their feet, and lose on purpose.  Lawyers, require their client to declare themselves incompetent, that is the nature of an agreement with a lawyer.

Lawyers get trained by the law sage cult, in London, called the barristers association or "The Bar" ...In the old days, it was a series of restaurants where lawyers and so forth, would meet and conspire.

Lawyers are relics of Napoleon, most of the law which law students have to memorize is black letter law which derives from Napoleon's Code.  He was a tyrannical asshead.

In some countries like Ireland, there are levels of those who can help others with their legal issues.  But yes, you are correct, in most countries, you have to obey the law cult of the London cadre, or be punished.  However, as they fail more and more, their whole cadre is facing extermination.  The more theivery that goes on, the more finite, will be the life of their group.  Lawyers, in fact, have destroyed the notion of justice, which they admit, has nothing to do with their practice.

I am simply saying that I will be happy to share data I have gained on this crime, to anyone who has been harmed.  Even just by offering to help for free, I place myself well above the lawyer class, who are antihuman shite-people. 

I am just a guy who likes to help identify incompetent authorities.  The authority hates bitcoin, and they are not likely to pursue this matter with any speed.  It is up to the community to do it for themselves, and hiring lawyers is a waste of money unless you are rich and can afford to use the lawyer as a weapon.  Rich people can feed money like ammo, into the lawyer-cannon and damage people, but the common man, cannot afford to wield the weapons called "lawyers".  I am just an info collector, that's all.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
mike332

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:48:25 PM

it is legal or not ? what I can do if my wallet will steal someone ?
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 02:21:09 AM

I suspect, from the bottom of my sleeve, that there are maybe 100,000 addresses with any balance whatsoever, and of these, 10,000 hold a balance greater than BTC1. A few lucky guys maybe holding BTC100.

So the amount of data is reasonable, and they are well positioned to return all bitcoins to their rightful owners, and everything is proceeding as planned.

The 90 day account freeze is a must, because some owners may not access their wallet every week. Further, I believe they will have a claims department open ever after for anyone who wakes up late but remembers his URL. In my opinion, Instawallet team may recover their reasonable costs from the amount returned, if a claim is late for more than 1 year.

The general history of bitcoin "businesses" and "services" suggests their is a precedent for this services users to express some skepticism that the claims process will be executed smoothly to its completion. Another precedent suggests there is a sufficiently large number of bitcoin users who simply don't care to know better that might have chosen to use installation as a long term storage solution for more than small amounts of coins.

The positive side is, your bitcoin wealth is frozen at the exact time you might be most tempted to sell it, and you should thank the "hacker" for this Wink

This all depends on how a person would be tempted to sell it and in what portion. Bitcoin has incredible supply inflexibility that could keep this rally going to the moon, but this week's rise has me concerned enough I've bought myself into a healthy precious metals position (a mix of silver and rhodium) as a hedge. If we are back to $20 or even $85 in a month my hedge would have been untenable, because I've elected not to use an online wallet I had the decision making power to do this. Even if we are pushing four digit USD/BTC prices I'd be sore that the power to make this decisions was not allowed to me by these nebulous things known as "circumstances."

thewindrock (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:14:50 AM

hahahhahahah look at instawallet now! I hate to tell you all this but.. I told you so! he either took the money or gave someone a backdoor way to steal all the wallets. go ahead make a claim he wont return any bitcoins guaranteed!
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:15:42 AM

hahahhahahah look at instawallet now! I hate to tell you all this but.. I told you so! he either took the money or gave someone a backdoor way to steal all the wallets. go ahead make a claim he wont return any bitcoins guaranteed!

Don't be such an arrogant ass just yet.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:25:00 AM

Don't be such an arrogant ass just yet ever.
FTFY.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:20:32 AM

Lawyers are a criminal cadre.  That is why they prosecute and damage, anyone who tries to muscle in on their turf.  Lawyers, drag their feet, and lose on purpose.  Lawyers, require their client to declare themselves incompetent, that is the nature of an agreement with a lawyer.

Lawyers get trained by the law sage cult, in London, called the barristers association or "The Bar" ...In the old days, it was a series of restaurants where lawyers and so forth, would meet and conspire.

Lawyers are relics of Napoleon, most of the law which law students have to memorize is black letter law which derives from Napoleon's Code.  He was a tyrannical asshead.

In some countries like Ireland, there are levels of those who can help others with their legal issues.  But yes, you are correct, in most countries, you have to obey the law cult of the London cadre, or be punished.  However, as they fail more and more, their whole cadre is facing extermination.  The more theivery that goes on, the more finite, will be the life of their group.  Lawyers, in fact, have destroyed the notion of justice, which they admit, has nothing to do with their practice.

I am simply saying that I will be happy to share data I have gained on this crime, to anyone who has been harmed.  Even just by offering to help for free, I place myself well above the lawyer class, who are antihuman shite-people. 

I am just a guy who likes to help identify incompetent authorities.  The authority hates bitcoin, and they are not likely to pursue this matter with any speed.  It is up to the community to do it for themselves, and hiring lawyers is a waste of money unless you are rich and can afford to use the lawyer as a weapon.  Rich people can feed money like ammo, into the lawyer-cannon and damage people, but the common man, cannot afford to wield the weapons called "lawyers".  I am just an info collector, that's all.

So you don't like lawyers then?

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
thewindrock (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:26:20 AM

does anyone know a computer genius lawyer that will work for $15 per hour? send him my way lol..
superdork

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:55:54 PM

Wait, so instawallet advised you to file a police report, even gave you a nudge in the right direction, but you're not going to bother? For $40K?

Somethin' ain't passing the smell test.

and this thread still has a title that is flat out defamation.

feel free to leave a tip in my daughter's college fund if you found my posts helpful 1HiCE3vX7yr7Yqy4yHf36x4w1cmSEsrTbM

(or if you just want some good karma!)
mike332

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:57:27 PM

does anyone knowwhat I can do if my wallet will steal someone ?  it is legal or not ?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 11:15:07 PM

does anyone knowwhat I can do if my wallet will steal someone ?  it is legal or not ?

Sincerely not being an ass here, but would you be so kind as to reword your request so that I or some other can answer your questions.

Thanks, bud. (sincerely)

~Bruno K~
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 01:08:28 AM

Sincerely not being an ass here, but would you be so kind as to reword your request so that I or some other can answer your questions.

Thanks, bud. (sincerely)

~Bruno K~

I was going to rage at him, but I thought that I should let somebody else do it, because I'm not that good at insulting people politely Tongue
But yes. I don't believe that your wallet will steal anyone anytime soon Smiley
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:23:13 PM

Thanks, bud. (sincerely)

~Bruno K~

I was going to rage at him, but I thought that I should let somebody else do it, because I'm not that good at insulting people politely Tongue

Come on guys, don't be harsh with us non english natives.

For injust: no, it's not legal for someone to steal your BTC. Anyhow you will have a hard time demonstrating to a judge that a certain Instawallet was YOURS (well, you just have an URL...)

And then, I bet that for 99% of the judges Bitcoin is still "play money".

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 06:36:55 PM

Thanks, bud. (sincerely)

~Bruno K~

Come on guys, don't be harsh with us non english natives.

For injust: no, it's not legal for someone to steal your BTC. Anyhow you will have a hard time demonstrating to a judge that a certain Instawallet was YOURS (well, you just have an URL...)

And then, I bet that for 99% of the judges Bitcoin is still "play money".

Seriously, I wasn't being an ass, for I truly wanted to make sure that his concern was addressed in this case. I see that an attempt has been made, and for that I thank you(s).

Peace, Mike.

~Bruno K~
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 11:52:37 AM

Never send your bitcoins to any online service. They will all eventually screw you over. Its almost guaranteed.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 05:59:53 PM

Never send your bitcoins to any online service. They will all eventually screw you over. Its almost guaranteed.

But start a myriad of online wallets so that you can be the screwer: https://www.google.com/search?q=33.786541133&aq=f&oq=33.786541133&aqs=chrome.0.57j62l2.4926j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
mike332

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 06:11:27 PM

if someone has my wallet.dat file(it is encrypted and with password) is there something that this person can do with it ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: