Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:50:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallets for Australia?  (Read 1584 times)
NickFi (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 02:54:15 PM

Hi, I was looking to get a wallet which I can use in Australia. I thought the MultiBit HD looks like a good choice, but after installing the software, I found out they only work with Glidera, which only serves North America.

Is it true that at the moment I can't use MultiBit HD in Australia? Is there a wallet that I can use to made transactions in Australia?

Also, one of the told advantages of BitCoin are the low cost of transactions. But when I look around, there are a lot of websites in Australia that charge significant fees (up to 5%) for transacting bitcoins. Are there any places to buy/sell bitcoins without having to lose a few percent per transaction?

Thanks,
Nick
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 02:58:27 PM

There are lots of exchanger where you can buy and sell or trade bitcoin for fiat with bank deposit (sepa or bank wire) but you need to be verified member to do so and only reasonable if you are willing to deposit few thousand usd. I don't know specific exchanger based on australia but there are some well known like bitfinex, bistamp etc acceping bank deposit, check yourself.

Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 04:08:01 PM

Hi, I was looking to get a wallet which I can use in Australia. I thought the MultiBit HD looks like a good choice, but after installing the software, I found out they only work with Glidera, which only serves North America.

Is it true that at the moment I can't use MultiBit HD in Australia? Is there a wallet that I can use to made transactions in Australia?
-snip-
I never thought nor I ever encounter situation you depicted. From what I could tell software bitcoin wallets don't have any region restrictions build in.
You can use bitcoin wallet in any country and from anywhere in the world and it will work with no problems.
BigBoom3599

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 04:13:16 PM

I think you are asking for an exchange not a wallet, a wallet is where you store your bitcoins so it should work in every country. There are a lot of exchanges for buying bitcoins, the most common ones are Coinbase, Bitfinex and Kraken. So try these or google for some other ones.
socks435
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030

Privacy is always important

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 04:17:11 PM

Why don't you try electrum for safe place of your bitcoin and coinbase for you daily transaction.. electrum has a payment per transaction but you can adjust the fee for your own..  coinbase has no fee for every transaction i just using it for daily use..

Solving blocks can't be solved without my rigs.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 01:13:04 AM

Wallets dont discriminate the users location, i think you question is wrong. You might need a bitcoin exchange to buy bitcoin from. And in that case there are plenty that accept people from all over the world.

NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:00:35 AM

I never thought nor I ever encounter situation you depicted. From what I could tell software bitcoin wallets don't have any region restrictions build in.
You can use bitcoin wallet in any country and from anywhere in the world and it will work with no problems.

Thanks Snorek,

When I have chosen the software for a wallet, I also thought the same as you, that a wallet would work anywhere in the world (just as a real wallet).
The confusion came after I installed the wallet software and I started looking for a place to buy/sell bitcoins.
On their website, you can see the info they provided: https://multibit.org/en/help/hd0.3/buy-sell-bitcoin.html

I obviously don't know much about bitcoins, but from what they say in there, it appears that the only place to buy/sell bitcoins while using MultiBit HD is Glidera - and if your region is not covered (yet), tough luck.

Nick

NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:09:19 AM

I think you are asking for an exchange not a wallet, a wallet is where you store your bitcoins so it should work in every country. There are a lot of exchanges for buying bitcoins, the most common ones are Coinbase, Bitfinex and Kraken. So try these or google for some other ones.
Hi BigBoom,

Please correct me if I'm wrong - In order to buy bitcoins, do I need a wallet or not? I looked at various software for wallets and I selected one that does not require over 65 GB and bandwidth to store the bitcoins (which would be quite ridiculous, if I only want to buy one or two bitcoins). I think I understand the role of such a software, I imagine it stores all bitcoin transactions all over the world, pretty much like DNS databases that are distributed and updated continuously.

So, I chose what it looked like a decent software for wallets (MultiBit HD). Well, it may be good software (I don't know that yet), but their "help" to instruct the user to buy their first bitcoin is a let down. If I don't live in USA, apparently I can't buy bitcoins ( https://multibit.org/en/help/hd0.3/buy-sell-bitcoin.html )

So, if I decide to use Coinbase, Bitfinex or Kraken, what wallet should I choose? As I explained, I don't want to transform my desktop computer into a bitcoin server. I want a decently low size, low bandwidth and secure wallet.

Thanks,
Nick
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:10:36 AM

I obviously don't know much about bitcoins, but from what they say in there, it appears that the only place to buy/sell bitcoins while using MultiBit HD is Glidera - and if your region is not covered (yet), tough luck.
They say it's a place to buy and sell bitcoins, and that they particularly recommend it because they have a business relationship with them. You can, in fact, transact with companies other than those recommended by your wallet provider. For buying and selling bitcoins in Australia, I personally recommend BTC Markets (again, my recommendation is worth just as little as anyone else's).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:24:02 AM

Wallets dont discriminate the users location, i think you question is wrong. You might need a bitcoin exchange to buy bitcoin from. And in that case there are plenty that accept people from all over the world.

Hi RealBitcoin,

Well, my question is right, based on the information provided by MultiBit HD: https://multibit.org/en/help/hd0.3/buy-sell-bitcoin.html

I opened the MultiBit HD wallet and apparently the ONLY way to buy or sell BitCoins while using their wallet software is via Glidera (which only serves at the moment North America). I found about MultiBit HD from what I thought it is a reputable website (https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet). In there, they keep quiet about the limited usability of this wallet.

Thanks for pointing out about exchanges. For a newbie, there are too many options and too much partial information available and I find it a bit hard to start. So, what wallet would you recommend (that does not require 65GB of storage and high bandwidth).

Nick
NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:30:47 AM

They say it's a place to buy and sell bitcoins, and that they particularly recommend it because they have a business relationship with them. You can, in fact, transact with companies other than those recommended by your wallet provider. For buying and selling bitcoins in Australia, I personally recommend BTC Markets (again, my recommendation is worth just as little as anyone else's).
They don't say it is a place - when opening that wallet it is the only choice I am provided with. I am not offered the choice to choose Glidera or something else - there is nothing else apart Glidera.

Either that, or I can't see some obvious (or not so obvious) workaround Glidera.

I wanted to post a screenshot, but I don't know how to do it (I have the image on my hard disk).

Nick
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:36:26 AM

Most bitcoin wallets are not country specific... I think you should just try out a few to decide which one you like. Bitcoin is a global currency so enjoy on capital control and no restriction on the amount to be transmitted.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:41:17 AM

I opened the MultiBit HD wallet and apparently the ONLY way to buy or sell BitCoins while using their wallet software is via Glidera (which only serves at the moment North America).
What are you even talking about? MultiBit HD, like any wallet, can send and receive bitcoins to and from any company or individual in the world who accepts bitcoins. What do you see when you click the Send/Request tab? When you have bought bitcoins on an exchange, you can request that they send those coins to your wallet. If you have coins in your wallet that you want to sell, you can send them to the exchange in order to do so. It's not that hard.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 03:45:10 AM

I opened the MultiBit HD wallet and apparently the ONLY way to buy or sell BitCoins while using their wallet software is via Glidera (which only serves at the moment North America).
What are you even talking about? MultiBit HD, like any wallet, can send and receive bitcoins to and from any company or individual in the world who accepts bitcoins. What do you see when you click the Send/Request tab? When you have bought bitcoins on an exchange, you can request that they send those coins to your wallet. If you have coins in your wallet that you want to sell, you can send them to the exchange in order to do so. It's not that hard.

I think I begin to understand. MultiBit HD has the function Buy/Sell and that function ONLY works with Glidera.
But the function Send/Request works with any exchange.

To me, it seemed natural that when I want to buy bitcoins, to use the function "BUY" and not "Request". As hard as it was for you to understand what I am talking about, it was for me to figure out how the wallet thingie works Smiley

Thanks,
Nick
bitcoineverything

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

InvestnTrade. Latest from the crypto space.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 03:58:21 AM

If you are looking for an exchange service, I would suggest 247 exchange. It accepts a number of currencies such as USD, AUD, EUR and a lot more. For Bitcoin wallet, I would suggest the most widely used Blockchain.info. Smiley

We are here to give you all the latest from the Cryptocurrency space!
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 04:05:30 AM

Also, one of the told advantages of BitCoin are the low cost of transactions. But when I look around, there are a lot of websites in Australia that charge significant fees (up to 5%) for transacting bitcoins. Are there any places to buy/sell bitcoins without having to lose a few percent per transaction?

Thanks,
Nick

You could try Blockchain wallet. It has got access in most of the countries and if you are trying to find a exchange or trading website to buy bitcoin with less transaction fees can go with localbitcoins.com because here your transaction fee is provided by the trader.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 04:14:14 AM

If you are looking for an exchange service, I would suggest 247 exchange. It accepts a number of currencies such as USD, AUD, EUR and a lot more. For Bitcoin wallet, I would suggest the most widely used Blockchain.info. Smiley

Thank you very much for recommendations. It's good to know that blockchain.info is the most widely used wallet service.

Nick
NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 04:26:55 AM

Thanks,
Nick

You could try Blockchain wallet. It has got access in most of the countries and if you are trying to find a exchange or trading website to buy bitcoin with less transaction fees can go with localbitcoins.com because here your transaction fee is provided by the trader.
Hi Romero,

Excellent info about localbitcoins.com - I can deposit directly into the bank accounts of the people listed and they send me the bitcoins. And I can see immediately how much it would cost me. So far, this appears to be the most convenient way of transacting bitcoins for me - no need to to SWIFT transfers or get the high fees when using credit cards.

Nick
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 05:40:57 AM

I am also from Australia and I personally use Coinbase to buy my Bitcoins, it is very safe, but I store my Bitcoins on a ledger wallet. You should probably invest in a hardware wallet if you are going to buy multiple Bitcoins.
NickFi (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 06:26:09 AM

I am also from Australia and I personally use Coinbase to buy my Bitcoins, it is very safe, but I store my Bitcoins on a ledger wallet. You should probably invest in a hardware wallet if you are going to buy multiple Bitcoins.

Thanks for advice. I read about hardware wallets and I will consider them in the future.

Are you using coinbase.com? I created an account with them some time ago and now I logged in and it says

"Sorry! Buy & Sell not available in Australia. We are not able to provide exchanging bitcoin in your region yet. Consider contacting your local government."

Nick
Whosdaddy

Activity: 1148
Merit: 527

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 08:48:17 AM

Hi BigBoom,

Please correct me if I'm wrong - In order to buy bitcoins, do I need a wallet or not?
Yes you need wallet. Bitcoin wallet is just like your wallet where you can store your bitcoins (similar to money).

Thanks Snorek,

When I have chosen the software for a wallet, I also thought the same as you, that a wallet would work anywhere in the world (just as a real wallet).
The confusion came after I installed the wallet software and I started looking for a place to buy/sell bitcoins.
On their website, you can see the info they provided: https://multibit.org/en/help/hd0.3/buy-sell-bitcoin.html

Nick

You can buy /sell your bitcoin anywhere in the world. Multibit just only a wallet nothing more.
You can buy bitcoin using any exchanges but careful to use best one and also you can buy/sell bitcoin in this forum's Currency exchange section.
hermanhs09

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 09:09:25 AM

Thanks,
Nick

May I enquire about the method of you buying bitcoins with? Westpac cash deposit, online bank transfers or just face to face transactions? If it's cash deposit, then I may be able to assist you.

And as with the bitcoin wallet, try coinbase or blockchain.info. They serve everyone.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: