Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:43:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum not connecting, but already sent money to wallet  (Read 1994 times)
speedr73 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:04:29 AM

My Electrum wallet isn't connecting for some reason. I have Mac OS X El Capitan(10.11.3) and using Electrum 2.6.4. I don't want to uninstall or really mess with anything until I know what's going on. Everything was working fine a couple days ago. I just sent BTC from my coinbase account so I'm concerned it will be lost if I start uninstalling and reinstalling things while BTC is enroute. What should I do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
racezefi

Activity: 80
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 03:48:59 AM

Don't worry, it's something minor for sure, happened to me plenty of times.
Reinstalling won't change much, try manually selecting a few servers until it connects.
Perhaps you have manually selected a server that's offline?

Do you have your seeds backup up? Be sure you do. You can also copy your wallet file. I don't know where it is in Mac, but search for "default_wallet" and should appear.

If you have either the wallet file + password or your seed safe (preferably the latter, both is better), whatever you do on this computer, they won't be lost.
If they are being confirmed from the exchange to your address, it doesn't matter to the network, your bitcoins will be there when you open the wallet and connect to a server.

And worst case scenario, you can always export your keys and open them somewhere else, such as core client or others.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 04:48:14 AM

My Electrum wallet isn't connecting for some reason. I have Mac OS X El Capitan(10.11.3) and using Electrum 2.6.4. I don't want to uninstall or really mess with anything until I know what's going on. Everything was working fine a couple days ago. I just sent BTC from my coinbase account so I'm concerned it will be lost if I start uninstalling and reinstalling things while BTC is enroute. What should I do?

first of all you can check your bitcoin address in an online block explorer like blockchain.info to see if you have received the bitcoins and put your mind at ease.

your problem is most probably because of connection so check your connection, your firewall or antivirus if you have it and see if they let Electrum connect to internet or not. unblock Electrum if they are.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mac+firewall+block+outgoing+connections

in the end do what my top comment says, change servers manually if it can't find them automatically.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
speedr73 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:21:43 AM

Ok so I went to blockchain.info and confirmed that the transactions were completed...so that definitely puts my major concern at ease. Now, to access it...can't do anything until electrum connects to the network. I have it setup to select server automatically. So it should find a server that's online correct? I wouldn't expect that it's stuck on an offline server? I've confirmed that there's no firewall or antivirus interference.

Otherwise, I am unchecking "find servers automatically" and randomly selecting different servers, but nothing successful yet. Unless you can think of something else specifically I can do, you think it's just a matter of time until electrum connects to a server successfully?

Thanks for your help either way...
speedr73 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:46:42 AM

OK...I am a complete moron!! This entire time I didn't have my tor browser running. I completely forgot that it runs over Tor and was trying to connect without it open. The second I opened my Tor browser it connected. Sorry for wasting your time...

Although I'm sure this happens to other noobs like me all the time. So I figure this post will help plenty of others. Again, remember to have your Tor browser connected before opening Electrum.
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:52:59 AM

OK...I am a complete moron!! This entire time I didn't have my tor browser running. I completely forgot that it runs over Tor and was trying to connect without it open. The second I opened my Tor browser it connected. Sorry for wasting your time...

Although I'm sure this happens to other noobs like me all the time. So I figure this post will help plenty of others. Again, remember to have your Tor browser connected before opening Electrum.

Actually you don't need to have TOR browser or any other browser opened in order for Electrum to connect, just your internet connection on. Electrum don't run over TOR it has its own servers there are actually 50 as far as I know. Since you are saying you are using El Capitan latest Mac OS X system electrum definitely doesn't need TOR to run. Even in the TAILS os which is specifically TOR and Electrum designed , Electrum can connect on its own servers via your internet connection without you opening any browsers at all.
speedr73 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 07:01:43 AM

Thats quite interesting to know then...because the second I opened Tor and reopened electrum, everything connected. I'd be interested to know what happened in the background to allow electrum to connect...
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 09:55:19 AM

Thats quite interesting to know then...because the second I opened Tor and reopened electrum, everything connected. I'd be interested to know what happened in the background to allow electrum to connect...

Nothing happened, except that your internet connection started working OK, I am sure you can connect electrum to its own servers without the need of opening any of the browsers, TOR ,Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari , Electrum should connect to its servers even if you click it (for example I in Linux click Applications-Internet-Electrum and it connects) I don't have any other thing open, I just have a good internet connection running. There's no tie between electrum and TOR or whatever other browser that is.  You can give it a try and let me know, but I am sure it will connect as long as you have a good working internet connection.
racezefi

Activity: 80
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 20, 2016, 07:38:27 AM

Nothing happened, except that your internet connection started working OK, I am sure you can connect electrum to its own servers without the need of opening any of the browsers, TOR ,Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari , Electrum should connect to its servers even if you click it (for example I in Linux click Applications-Internet-Electrum and it connects) I don't have any other thing open, I just have a good internet connection running. There's no tie between electrum and TOR or whatever other browser that is.  You can give it a try and let me know, but I am sure it will connect as long as you have a good working internet connection.

He probably has the proxy set for Electrum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: